Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 19, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Markus Is the ma » Archive through June 19, 2002 « Previous Next »

Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I assume you guys scrimp on the authenticity when it comes to the whole naked, blue screaming Celt thing...

What do they wear?
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Etienne,

From May to August. Next show on 6th and 7th July in West London (right on my doorstep for a change). We field Romano-Britons, Saxons and ocassionally Picts or Irish raiders. I tend to go as heavily armoured Saxon.

If you're interested get in touch and perhaps future dates can tie in (although mention it on the forum as I check the forum more often than the e-mail account I use here). Be warned though, our group has a reputation (undeserved of course) as being a bunch of hooligans who drink far too much and behave in an overly reckless manner. The public of course love us because we give them what they come to see, plenty of violence.

Hobgoblin
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LordH;

What's the season for 5th. century in England? I may take you up on it sometime. That's one of my favorite historical periods.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would rather a geeky bird any day.

See, being geeky myself this makes things much easier. I can say 'want to play D&D?' and get an enthusiastic yes rather than rolled eyes and an invitiation to stare at TV instead.

Of course, come to think, I've never dated a girl who wasn't into that sort of thing.

Although looking back, two of them might have only gotten into it because we were dating, as they didn't do it before...
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But it doesn't sound so cool when you say how you were dressed up in medieval costume whilst having this swordfight. The sort of thing you definitely do not tell any bird you want to impress is that you are into reenactment (unless she's into it as well) as you she will definitely not think you are cool. Much better to describe it as 'stunt fighting' which, considering the amount of filmwork (badly paid) you tend to get if you're into such things, is not too much of a lie.

Hobgoblin
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

These were people active in the SCA at the time, and they were the type Blackjack has met. Not saying the SCA in any way condoned it, yknow, but people get drunk and stoopid... or feel the need to prove something I guess.

It would be kinda cool to tell chicks 'I lost that pinkie in a swordfight' but if you mentioned you got into it on purpose, well... hope she doesn't go for the intelligent ones.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"... why not give the 5th century a go?"

Because it already went?

;-)
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tristan,

I'm another oddball, not Medieval but 5th to 7th Century ad, late-Roman to early-Saxon. It takes all sorts to make a world.

Hobgoblin
(If you're ever in the UK during the season then why not give 5th century a go? Just let me know)
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They're not mine. Each one is worth more than $200. If I bought these, there wouldn't be any money left for absinthe spoons! The first, forked spoon is for crackers. (At first I thought it was for sardines.) A century ago, NOTHING could be touched with bare hands, not even crackers and hard candies. They had to be "served" to you.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now if you tell me those antiquity comes from your personal collection, I'll be jealous !

Now tell me what's the use of the first one you posted ?
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's interesting how our (old rich, nouveau-riche, and aspiring bourgeois) ancestors had specialized flatware pieces for every imaginable type of food, condiment and drink. A table the size of Manhattan would be needed to hold them all. Reed & Barton's 1911 sterling flatware catalog offered, among many other things:

An asparagus fork & server, beef fork, bouillon ladle, brandy burner, 3 types of butter picks, chocolate muddler, cream dipper, crumb knife, cucumber server, egg spoon, food pusher, game shears, horseradish spoon, jelly cake server, lemon fork, lettuce spoon, macaroni fork, macaroni server, mustard spoon, nut pick, olive fork & spoon, orange knife, oyster cocktail fork, pap spoon, pea spoon, pickle fork, pie fork & knife, pudding spoon, ramekin fork, sandwich tongs, saratoga chip server, sardine fork, sherbet spoon, sugar sifter, tomato server, and waffle server.

And these were meant for private homes!
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you look closely at the handle, you can see Kallisti herself.

my picture
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This could also do some damage:

my picture

(Watch out for those bloodcurdling jelly cake servers.)
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So beautiful, it hurts. (Ow!)
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Even if it's not an absinthe spoon, it's a beautiful object.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd poke them with it!
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know some guys in Europe that would tell you it was. ;-)
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If absinthe spoons doubled as weapons ...

my picture

(This is a deadly cracker server.)
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are actually some idiots (not with the SCA) who actually DO spar at full speed with sharpened weapons. Not only that, they tend to use absurdly overweight, poorly balanced swords to compensate for their desire to bash them together edge-to-edge like in the movies, something historical swords were not designed to do with any regularity.

I did mention the "idiots" part, right? Call me silly, but I like my arms attached, thank you.

My main problem with the SCA, aside from the people who just take it way too seriously, is that you cannot hope to have a realistic simulation of medieval combat without cavalry, and nobody has figured out how to make a rattan horse...
Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, the SCA doesn't have much in the way of Life Steel... that's more of a Ren Faire staged kind of thing.

We do combat baby... woot!

Which is the big difference between SCA and Ren Faire..... amongst many other differences.
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rabid;

Trust me, the live steel demos are staged. The ones that I've seen were about half speed, though I know there are guys who've refined the act.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yknow, my favorite thing about the SCA is the 'live steel' people. The ones who 'fight' with sharpened weapons instead of rattan or shanai, and who always seem to be missing a finger joint. They try not to hurt each other, paradoxically using actual weapons instead of the simulated ones designed not to hurt anybody. It's like some dichotomous, freudian, (Anatomist, help me out with some art school lingo here, I'll edit later) I-really-want-to-kill-you-but-I'm-too-scared thing.

Just impale him, you pussy!

Oh, wait... that involves 'jail' time, and 'prosecution.'

Fucking weenies.
Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I seem to recall seeing a historical design of a Trebuchet that was horse powered, but I could be on crack, It happens.

I've been an active SCA participant for many years now (I've even got the whole 'fighting' thing going for me) but my interest in Medieval warfare goes way back before that....

I'm just odd.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not a bad idea for a really huge one. Since humans are about the same density as water, it would have to be about the size of four people to beat my human-powered model.

If you brought along a giant Cuisinart and a funnel, you could have the best of both worlds...

K.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A big hollow, light as possible container rather than a weight might be a good middle ground.

Once you get to the site of the attack, you fill that fucker with water. If there isn't any, dirt and rocks.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page