Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I'm about to be locked in an Absinthe...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » I'm about to be locked in an Absinthe debate! « Previous Next »

Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like this:

"Absinthe , now legal in the UK, is a (very) pale version of its former self. It is no longer the drink that caused Van Gogh to cut off his ear etc.. It is now a standard spirit trying (successfully) to cash in on its history as a ‘bad’ thing."

Yeah, you've got a bang-up source of information there. I was unaware that the proof that absinthe caused Van Gogh to cut his ear off was so well established as to be mentioned as a passing fact....

I don't see how listening to the half-baked uninvestigated opinions of cretins will lead to a more balanced understanding of what absinthe is all about. If you wanted to know about quantuum mechanics, would you talk to the professors at the local University physics department, then go to the local gas station to get a second opinion? What if Cletus was anti-quantuum mechanics? I find the statement that people here are pro-absinthe to be kind of silly. I'm not 'pro-absinthe' and I'm not 'pro-quantuum mechanics'. My proness or antiness is less than irrelevant to the understanding of either.

K.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes, but broken glass shards up the sphincter usually silences the most adamant of critics...
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love you too, Vera.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You will have more succes in converting people by giving them a glass of good absinthe than by typing words on a board of ignorants.

You would be amazed at the amouth of people I converted around here. It cost me lot's of money to do so but now I have the pleasure of having many knowledgeable friends. Damn even my father in law is asking me for more Moonman's !

Beginning of next week I'll even bring 4 spectators on the Moon with me to the secret Moonman's lair for a fairy squeezing demo.

That's effective. IMO, throwing words in an unrelated forum is not.

By the way...

"It's my understanding that UK laws had to be modified for for EU or EEC reasons. "

Absinthe was not illegal in UK. They just adopted the EU thujone limit rule.

Good luck.
Tristan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now that would be counterproductive, don't you think pikkle?

The whole theme of that board is fighting ignorance wherever they can, so I'm fighting this battle.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

fuck em in the ass with a broken bottle...
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's no such thing as an unbiased source of feedback when it comes to damn near anything, particularly absinthe.

There are those like us, who love and enjoy it for its taste and history, and the teeming masses who still believe the whispered half-truths and flat-out lies that have been perpetuated for almost a century.
Tristan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah.

Well, nevermind then. Forgive me for hoping to educate the masses.

And, totally off topic, the board in question is usually fairly good. I just apparently hit a nerve with a mod.

This is all part of the research I have been doing, as I mentioned in my virgin thread. You folks, as a whole, are very pro-Absinthe, and hence will be hesitant to give it any bad PR (other than Sebor Stong!).

I was curious on a possible unbiased source of feedback.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can't we leave absinthe just the secret underground society it is ? Must we go out into the world trying to convert people to drink this ever so tasty drink ?
Verawench
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good morning, Artemis!
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You posed a question about absinthe, and some Net Nannie replied:

"Sorry Tristan, but I think board policy is against encouraging you to do something which is both dangerous and illegal."

And some asshole calling himself "Cajun Man" (in New York City yet) backed him up and shut you up.

And you went back to have another pail of dirty water poured on you? What are we supposed to do about it? I've looked at that piece of shit board for the first and last time. You want to talk about absinthe, this is the board. You want to stir up hysteria, post your question in a day care forum next time.
Tristan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I participate in another forum, wherein it's a wide group of people. I asked the European bunch to chime in with any experience they may have with Absinthe, and I got locked down.

So I opened up a debate. Wish me luck folks!
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=a764d394eea80051d6dd7b6f6c697ebd&threadid=121448

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page