Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe-related pics from my trip to...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Absinthe-related pics from my trip to New Orleans, March 2002 II « Previous Next »

Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Royale,
I have a few connections of the sort as well...as I do not know about your rumor, I will do some asking around. I'd like to know if this is true or not. Yes, The bar itself was supposed to have been in seclusion for some time now.
Royale
Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was recently told by a friend of mine who lives in NOLA and is pretty connected in some of the french quarter's more seedy ventures that it is rumoured that the original bar that is in storage has been secretly sold (without the owners knowledge) and been carved into guitar bodies. I have no idea if this is true but it is a good story and if these guitars exist I would love to get my hands on one.
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, UNFORTUNATELY, the original "Old Absinthe House" is now a freakin DAIQUIRI HUT. What a tragedy!
I think, if I'm correct, this is actually the third location of the old place. But, the one I grew up with was the resting place after prohibition and the original bar itself is in a warehouse. The new place is HALF the size of the original and no bands play there. I miss Brian Lee who played there every Friday night. He was blind as a bat and played a Gibson Flying V guitar.

His closing number was "Tied to the whipping post"...It was awesome! Everybody sing: "Oh Lord, I feel like I'm Dyyyyin"
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rimmer,
NICE!
Bjacques
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heh. I brought in some La Fee, and have been playing sales rep to my old chums while showing the prophetic, apocalyptic $20 bill trick. I gave some to me mum, who grew up in New Orleans. One sip brought back (recovered, pseudo-) memories of her early 20s. A guy she dated took her to the Old Absinthe House, where they drank "absinthe" cocktails. 40 years later, she finally gets to try the real thing!
Thegreenimp
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought the one ones with Napoleon on them were later fountains, and the ones with the God & Goddess were the originals.
Jay
Admin
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

slight mixup. the napoleon fountain is at the original Old Absinthe House (lafitte's old absinthe house) ... while the two fountains Artemis, Morrigan & I saw are at the daiquiri shop. Indeed, those two were topped by goddesses.

I do not know what happened to the Napoleon, it was there a couple years ago.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

When the ladies and I strolled in to look at the fountains, we had just been making the most of the Green Hour with a bottle of Dr. Van Gogh's in a local courtyard, so I hope I can be forgiven the deification of the sadly foreshortened and now apparently purloined Frog prince. It was the evil thujone that clouded my brain. Yes, that's what it was.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Barnaby Conrad's book shows an "Old Absinthe House" fountain (looking just like the one in Rimbaud's pic) with a figurine of Napoleon I in his trademark hat and uniform. It would be a shame if someone stole it.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

When Kallisti, Morrigan and I looked at those fountains last year, there was a statue on the top of each. I thought they were a god and a goddess, but whatever. In any case, they both had statues.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the flash-backs, Kallisti!!
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did someone rip off the little statue of Napoleon that was on top of the "Old Absinthe House" fountain (2nd pic from the top)?
Admin
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm posting Rimbaud's lovely pix from his French Quarter absinthe tour:

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

rimbaud's pix

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page