Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 20, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » GUN FORUM » Archive through June 20, 2002 « Previous Next »

Albertcamus
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I worked in a hotel once where we were hosting a hunters convention.They brought in all these "trophy" kills for display and one of the animals was a giraffe.now why would someone shoot a fucking giraffe?wouldnt that be like hunting dairy cattle with a high powered rifle and a scope?
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd say you get several hundred thousand men in the woods, all with guns, most drinking and only one or two people get shot, those are pretty good statistics considering...
Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

City deer are the worst, running up and trying to wash your window for money for oats... pathetic. And most of them dont' even speak very good English! Holding signs on the street corners, "Will play Bambi for food.."...

On a more serious note, as I was growing up in rural Montana, there were several winters wherein the only reason I had meat at all was because my mothers friends hunted.

Venison is good.....
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack;

No, you're not being a snob. I agree with you in everything you've said. There are sportsmen and then there are deer hunters. Not to say that most sportsmen don't hunt deer as well as other things.

We get all these people who only pick up their guns once a year... so they can go out prove themselves men for another.

I don't hunt deer, too many morons in the woods. In Michigan, if you hunt public lands during season, then you really are taking your life in your hands.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wesley Willis sang about the infamous honey badger once...
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a briend who used to call his girlfriend his "little honey badger"...
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Please don't forget that in addition to finding deer hunting fun, a lot of people put meat on the table and feed their families with what they hunt.

True enough, but I'd wager for every person who actually needs the food to make ends meet, there are three yahoos who spend more money on Super-Flage sniper suits with matching seats-covers for their pickup and deluxe titanium tree-stands and beer than they make back on the meat. At least judging from the Sportsman's Guide catalogs I get.

But I'm probably being a snob again...
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah... they're all out on Belle Isle... roving gangs of them... watch it!
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Deer from the projects. One of the social issues of our times.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...having fauns just to get more cash...
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's nothing. If you think it's sad to see one starved to death, you should see the state of Welfare deer.

Curled up in the bad part of the woods, a crackpipe in one hoof and a 40 in the other.
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you think it's sad to hunt deer, you should see one that's starved to death.
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack;

Please don't forget that in addition to finding deer hunting fun, a lot of people put meat on the table and feed their families with what they hunt. White tail deer are nothing but vermin in a populated setting, despite how pretty they are.

Albertcamus;

That kid in Africa better not trade his AK-47 for soup, if he keeps it he has the means to get a decent meal.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Remember to smear their genitals with honey first.
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It makes you proud to be a mammal. Like if some insectine or lizardly space aliens were talking smack about how weak and puny humans were, you could be, like, 'Oh yeah, how about five minutes in the dig with my cousin, the Honey Badger?'

K.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen the same documentary. All true.

That's one damn fine animal.
Albertcamus
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

7 year olds in Africa are lucky to have dinner.I guess they could pawn the AK for some soup.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jesus. Did you make that up?

Africa sounds like a nicer place by the minute. Get shot at by seven year olds with AK47s while at the same time the charming local wildlife tries to gnaw through your scrotum.

Sign me up!
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The African Honey Badger is the most bad-ass animal on earth. I saw a documentary on them where they showed one dislodge and eat the nest of an entire killer bee colony. It was insane. it went inside this log with a cloud of bees stinging it and tore off big chunks of comb, dragging them outside to eat them. It only brushed at the stinging bees occasionally. It looked to me like it consumed near its entire weight in honey in that one raid. The HB attacks anything that comes near it, including animals as large as a Wildebeast. Their favorite method of attack is to claw and bite their foe's gentials, causing death by blood loss.

K.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Lord H has a good point about dwindling animal populations. I often hear the bullshit argument from hunters that they're preventing population overgrowth, when in reality, the reason why deer overpopulation is a problem is because we're consuming more and more of their habitat.

And that we have eliminted predator species. However, these are now realities, and our choices are either to control the populations ourselved (either through culling or strilization) or to let the animals die from starvation and disease, while allowing them to spread diseases and make general nuicences of themselves in populated areas.

Even if we stopped encroaching on habitats today, there are already large populations of deer, etc., in populated areas, and unless you are going to start evicingpeople from their homes, measures must be taken to control the animal populations.

I find hunting distateful. I don't like the culture around it. But it would be absurd for me, as a meat-eater, to claim it is any more unnecessary or cruel than my own habits. At least they are doing their own dirty work. I just find that most people who are into hunting (with te exception of a close friend who hunts with a longbow...) are not the kind of folks I like. The same could be said of NASCAR, however, and I'd never claim that was immoral.

It's mostly my urban, upper-middle-class snobbery, really. I'm not really down with the common man.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

When you talk about dangerous deer, well you are just being silly.

Deer attacks injure dozens people every year, and fatalities are not unheard of. A rutting buck can be very randomly aggressive, and they are a lot bigger and stronger than they look. It is especially a problem with deer on reserves and hunting "ranches" where the deer have become more accustomed to humans.

There are also 100-odd people killed each year in deer-related traffic accidents.

Of course, their real hazard is as a vector for disease, which is the primary reason for killing them now, other than that some people find it fun.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or to be staked down to a badger sett and smeared with, um, whatever it is badgers especially like to eat.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fuckin a. It's one thing to be a country person- they tend to kill animals without a second thought. Drown excess kittens, execute chickens and the like.

But a man who will throw his dog into a pit with a badger for amusement deserves to be forced to wear special, badger filled pants.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack,

Without thinking I mistakenly assumed we were talking about the same badgers. But the character of the American badger sounds just like the UK badger, territorial, fierce and incredibly strong. But it is an animal that doesn't set out to attack humans (practically no animal does, it's us that sets out to attack them). It is a protected animal in the UK and it is illegal to disturb a badger set. If a property developer finds a badger set on land to be developed then tough shit, the set cannot be disturbed.

In the UK you get sick groups of individual who go on 'badger digs'. They dig a pit around the entrance to a badger set, dig up the set forcing the animal into the pit and then put 2 or 3 pit-bull terriers (who have been brutally treated to increase their ferocity) into the pit to fight the badger (who generally kills 1 or two of them before the badger gets killed). These people particularly like to find a mother badger and her cubs to force into the pit because a mother badger will fight with extra ferocity to protect her cubs from the dogs and will go beserk when the dogs start killing her cubs.

And these people call this pastime a 'country sport'. Prison is too good for these people, they deserve a much worse fate. Sick bastards.

Hobgoblin
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Even without the territory loss, they would overpopulate. We have already whacked the predators that would take care of that for us.

Although even if we hadn't, the natural predator/prey population cycles would look funny to most people, who would then interfere with it one way or another. They would fuck it all up so the poor widdle aminals didn't starve, and instead would die by violence as that is much more merciful.

But they used to starve, cyclicly, before we were meddling.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page