Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Ok, I need some ordering advice...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Archive Thru July 2002 » Ok, I need some ordering advice... « Previous Next »

Raschied
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tristan, In this city (Sac) I can find someone who will take the bottles off your hands for a price, if you need. There is a group going to Burning Man in September that is using Absinthe in their theme this year. I don't remember the exact theme, but one of them threw a "Moo-Lawn Rouge" party earlier this year.

Cow Costumes, udders, and absinthe. MMMmmmmm.
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Forget SC, you're tied to Spanish brands. Go with Markus and try a bottle of Deva (for your Spanish standard) and a bottle of F.Guy, Oxygenee or something. It's not that much more and you'll have a better taste experience. And yes, get a couple of spoons for drama.

Screw Segerra, it's absinthe flavored brandy. If you want an inexpensive way to taste it, just add a shot of brandy into a glass of Deva and you'll save yourself some money.
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just a tad. Most won't even notice...

I have a litte list..
They never will be missed....
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How much arsenic are you adding to the opened bottles? Too much will really wreck the louche.
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Raschied- Check your e-mail.

Thank you all for the advice. I may be changing what the order was, as my finances are a little better off than I thought (but not much!).

I have one more odd question... is there much of a market for bottles that have been opened and have one or two drinks taken? I admit, I'm worried that I'm going to hate either the taste, the experience, or both(I doubt it, but I'm a pessimist). If that happens, how likely is it I'm going to be able to re-sell my bottles?
Raschied
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Serpis Serpis Serpis...

At least until the Emile 68 shows up....:)

My first two orders were Deva, Serpis, and a bottle of original Sebor. I tried NS the last time, and didn't care for it. It was oily after it louched, and I didn't like the asthetic of an oil slick on the top of my absinthe. Serpis beat out Deva in taste, but of course it's RED. I didn't mind though.

The Sebor was, well, just different. Not better or worse, but different. A little more bitter flavor, and a lot less anise than the Spanish stuff. Almost a different drink entirely. I would order it again, if it wasn't so freaking expensive for a 500cL bottle. I can get a full-size bottle of Emile for almost as much. Hopefully, the Emile is worth it. Where's that damn courier....

:)
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Said account can be found there.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Excuse me -- *artificially* sweetened?

Most do have sugar added, but it's just sugar AFAIK.

And Segarra is distilled too -- read Petermarc's account of his visit to the Segarra distillery.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I recently got 2 bottles of Pernod 68 and I like it alot. The anis is subdued. Waiting for my Emile 68. The spanish are sweetened and heavy on the anis. Not bad, just a matter of personal preference!
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Be aware that Markus ships airmail too (www.feeverte.de), and I feel Francois Guy and even the new Pernod 68 to be superior to any of the Spanish. Francois Guy and Emile are also currently the only distilled absinthes available. Why not start with the best that's commercially available?
Deva is fine for Spanish (I like NS the best), but Segarra is much better than Lasala. Segarra tastes a little like Francois Guy.
Domino Dots are 1.89 a box, but the Spanish don't need it. They're already artificially sweetened and drenched in Anise. Use sugar if you like, but I hope your health insurance covers dental....
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe you should go for Emile 68 now that it's available... A little bit more expensive but the price includes shipping and at least according to reviews of the pre-release you'll have a fine product.

If you really want to try the spanish, don't miss Segarra.
Cheri
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My vote is for Deva and Segarra..
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Deva and Segarra... NS if you want to taste what crap tastes like...
Mogan_David
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should order a spoon if you don't already have one. Try it with sugar and without see which way you like it.

Sugar increases the body of the drink which can seem a little watery without it. Resist the urge to take a small sip of the straight stuff before you tasted it other ways. Straight absinthe seems to numb my entire mouth for about an hour or so. That said, it is absolutely wonderful straight.

MD
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

well, this order is a learning experience...
Mogan_David
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My vote is for Segerra and NS.
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

change lasala to segerra and forget the cubes...
or...
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've found a co-worker to go in with me on my first order.. I've decided to go with SC for shipping (airmail, thank you very much) and am looking at 2 bottles, one each.

1- Lasala
1- Deva

How will these be for a first time? We would love to be able to get different brands, but honestly price right now is a concern. So, feedback please.... how will these go over, should we look for sugarcubes, what?

Thanks!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page