Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 21, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » GUN FORUM » Archive through June 21, 2002 « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Green,

My understanding is that he was out hunting bigger game, an ibis landed close to the landrover he was in so he decided to turn his big-game gun on the bird and blast it.

Hobgoblin
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lord H-

In regard to Prince Willie. Are you sure it was a "high powered rifle" he used? It is customary for one to use a shotgun while birding.

-Green
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well it caused outrage in Egypt at the time because despite being a country where the most popular religion is Islam, the Egyptians still hold the Ibis in very high regard. They hold it in a position of almost reverence, above most other animals and they certainly don't kill them.

Islam has respect for the natural world right at the heart of it's teaching. Islam views nature with all it's diversity, life and pattern as being a reflection of Allah and His greatness.

Hobgoblin
Etienne
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's been a while since the Ibis was sacred to Egyptians, Muslims don't really go in for that animal worship stuff.

Not that I can see any point in blasting one either.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"why would someone shoot a fucking giraffe?"

Because some people just like killing things, it doesn't matter whether it's defenceless or not and they couldn't care less whether the meat is eaten or not, whether the animal needs culled or not, or any skill is required to carry out the kill. They just get pleasure from killing. These people have no regard or respect at all for the natural world or anything in it (except themselves).

Ask Prince William, the future King of England. A couple of years ago when he was on holiday in Egypt (killing wild animals of course as is the favourite pastime of the British Aristocracy) he happened to see an Ibis (a bird sacred to Egyptians) so what did he do? Blast is to bits with his high powered rifle. Nether himself nor the other Royals could seem to see just what all the fuss was afterwards over killing some silly bird.

Hobgoblin
Tristan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't hunted, mainly due to a lack of skill at stalking wild animals.

However, if I were to do so (and I hope to some day), it would be because venison, as I said earlier, is tasty.

Mmmmmm..... venison stew. Oh yes.

Also, I know folks that would buy the skin to make soft leather out of. And the bones/antlers make good buttons/dice/knife handles.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, was I wrong or what? Kind of a reverse Multiple Personality Disorder.

I guess it's some subliminal message from "Amadeus". Wolfgang = Wol(f)ie.

Sorry, Wolfgang. Didn't mean to imply that you scam our fellow Forumites.

Being a hunter is bad enough...

I have to admit being torn about the issue. One of my dearest friends, ecologist, aspiring writer, all-around-good-person, hunts. So I cannot say: "Hunters are moronic motherfuckers"

I guess the question we non-hunters have is: What pleasure you derive from it?

Some years ago a state reinstated the death penalty and then they realized they had no executioner.

Immediately a bunch of people volunteered. A bunch of people wanted to kill another human being! Some of them, I bet, would have paid for the pleasure.

So, Wolfgang, yes, there is a deer overpopulation. And I'm very glad that there are people like you who would find pleasure in killing a defenseless herbivore.

I'm not being facetious. If you guys were not there, we would have to pay people to shoot them.
Tristan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In Montana, if you fed the deer nuts from your hand and then killed it, you would go to jail. It's illegal to hunt game with food-bait.

I've noticed that in discussions like this, many of the folks that are so fervently anti-hunting are posting from urban and suburban homes.

Whereas in Montana, and other rural places where hunting is really a livelihood, you hardly ever see someone protesting hunting.

Or logging.

But you will see protests against re-introducing certain animals into the wild. Someone look up the battle to get a pack of wolves establlished in the Eastern Side of the Rocky Mountain Front in Montana. Interesting reading.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"So, Wolfie, I have this deer grabbing nuts from my hand"

take your nuts out of your hand next time, dumas!
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

FLIVODL!!!
Etienne
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ROTFL!!!!
Mogan_David
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One for Dr. O

ducky
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr O, you are confusing things. Wolfgang is a standup guy from Canadia. Wolvie is a guy from Germany nobody has heard from in awhile who has money but did not deliver.

And for your deer thing- look at it like this. You meet a dog, he's friendly, because he lives with people. Like the deer that you mention.

You meet a dog in the woods that has never lived with people. He is NOT friendly.

If you meet a dog that has been shot at (like the deer around here) you will not meet him, cause he will hide.

Deer in PA at least are hard to find, not because they aren't here, but because they avoid humans.
Mogan_David
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, Wolfie, I have this deer grabbing nuts from my hand. I grab my Desert Eagle '44 Mag. and blow his head cleanly from his neck.

If you kill a deer that was eating nuts from your had it's not hunting, no matter how far you let him go away from you.

Some people raise deer like livestock and kill them for the venison, there's nothing wrong with that, but it could hardly be considered hunting.

MD
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chev: ever since Alzheimer set in, I'm not sure of anything.

I exchange "v"s and "f"s because in German they are pronounced the same. Am I missing something here?
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O, aren't you confusing Wolfgang with "Wolvie"?
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I'm off"

Excellent choice, Wolfie. And while "off", you might consider spending your time delivering absinthe to people who had paid for it.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I think Im pushing a wall once more... I'm off.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, Wolfie, I have this deer grabbing nuts from my hand. I grab my Desert Eagle '44 Mag. and blow his head cleanly from his neck.

Hunters would be appalled.

This other deer, I let him go away 10 yards before blowing his craneum to smithereens.

Hunters would be appalled.

This other one, I let him go away 100 yards, and get a "clean shot".

Hunters applaud me.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a hypocrite. The pleasurable side of a bacon sandwich always seems to break through my moral fabric, and I find hunting bothersome. Ultimately though it's neither here nor there. Hunters who obey game laws do not create a problem. Those who kill for fun and who poach are the real problem.
Hunters are far more respectable than those who keep animals in pens, inject them with hormones, and cut their throats so they can be some fat lazy stupid Americans Big Mac.

I eat meat because of convenience and because of an extremely fast metabolism and low blood sugar. I dislike the idea of animals suffering to become my food, but honestly, steak just tastes too good for me to give it up right now.

Hunting is a personal choice. I choose not to hunt because when you're in the wild with an animal, it's very difficult to kill it. Being a meat eater is easy because you're removed from the violence. I see vegetarianism in my distant future, but it's a ways off. For now, hearty meals of lamb shanks and full glasses of Meade for all my viking companions!
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is a resting place where dear are used to see humans who never go there to hunt. This is not like going in the wild on a hunting trip.

I've feed dear myself, it's no big deal when they have never seen a hunter and when human are only there to feed them.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr O-

I DON'T HUNT!! I just have an understanding/appreciation for those that do!

BTW, I too have had deer eat from my hand. They are still wild but have lost all fear of man. That's part of the curse of encroaching civilization!!

-Green
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfie, my man, get real. I spent the last weekend at Harbin Hot Springs (near Middletown, CA) and I had deer feeding off my hand. Really.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The dear have very keen sens and have the hability to hide. In fact he do it so effectively that I dare you to take a walk in the wood and find one.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hummm...but the cliff trick was a hell of a clever idea to kill those huge beast and feed the whole clan ! Only problem is you needed a cliff...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page