Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 21, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Markus Is the ma » Archive through June 21, 2002 « Previous Next »

Barsnake
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you were that full of Absinthe I'm surprised you didn't explode!
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

He`s the devil! He doesn`t burn !
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Kallisti,

I reckon I'm one of a select few individuals who can fall face-first into a roaring camp-fire and come away without so much as a singed eyebrow.

Nice ring.

Hobgoblin
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

it's the deep setting and the cabochon cut of the stone, renders it very dark even when looking at it straight on. this was typical of most jewelry & gemstones prior to, I think, the 18th century. perhaps a bit earlier.

Hob, I like your wild side. heeehee.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Garnet ? It doesn't look dark red...maybe it's the picture... Nice ring anyway.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolf,

I might just do that. I often bring a bottle of absinthe along to drink in the evenings when at shows. Usually I drink it out of a Saxon drinking horn but I could bring a glass and spoon along for the picture. The last time I over-indulged on the Green Fairy at a show I fell face first into the camp-fire and had to be quickly pulled out, I didn't remember a thing about it.

Hobgoblin
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

chain mail, puffy shirts, sword fighting. someone bring me my fan!

I had a roommate that was in the SCA, he did silver smithing work for them.

gave me this fabu ring he made for my birthday. a 14th century repro, gold & garnet ...

ring
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should take a picture of you in your outfit drinking absinthe, that would make a nice anachronic profile picture !
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolf,

Yes indeed. I have a mail-shirt made of untreated steel (they do galvanise some these days but in my opinion they look shiny and not authentic, but I'm a fussy bastard). Mail-shirts do suffer from ocassional rust if they get damp but because the links freely move and rub against one another as the shirt moves, mail-shirts are more or less 'self cleaning'. A very light oiling also helps (which is what would have been done long ago) although too much oil or grease makes a mess of the kit you're wearing under the mail-shirt. If it does get really badly rusted then you can put it in a barrell of dry sand and roll the barrell about. I've never had to do this though, but then I bought a shirt from an expensive quality armourer in the UK.

Hobgoblin
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

my steel don't rust! Until it gets stamped... then I don't care what the fuck happens to it...
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Question like that... did they used steel to build chain mail ? I mean...rusting steel ?
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ACtually, if they had gone with a cheap aluminum kit, it still would have worked out better than what was essentially a sweater with paint. Grrrrr...
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes indeed, chainmail that blows around in the breeze. I know mail-shirts aren't cheap but for a big budget production there's simply no excuse.

At least with Gladiator, Ridley Scott made an attempt to give most of the costumes some resemblence of accuracy.

Hobgoblin
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hob,

And let us not get into the farce they made of the battle of stirling, nor that knitted wool chainmail. Grrrrr....

Stirling was a bridge battle, the definitive bridge battle.

Erk. Heart can't take....... anger.

** Tristan hulks out **
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rabid,

"I assume you guys scrimp on the authenticity when it comes to the whole naked, blue screaming Celt thing..."

I'm afraid not Rabid. We don't do the blue screaming Celt thing. I'm afraid we are strict on authenticity in everything we do. 5th Century Irish/Scots did not have any blue markings, and they fought clothed. 5th Century Picts are generally thought to have blue facial tatoos, but the designs are fine decorative swirl patterns (only covering cheeks and perhaps forehaeds at the most) so we do paint these on. Again they fought clothed.

We do scream a lot though.

The whole woad and limewash thing died out around 1st century AD and English Celts of this time certainly wore trousers at least anyway (and Scottish and Irish Celts probably fought fully clothed due to the weather). The naked Celt thing is mainly from mainland BC European Celts (a lot less cold in southern France or in Spain). Ancient Celts also wore alot more armour than is commonly believed. The Celts afterall invented chainmail and what would be the point of inventing chainmail if you fought naked? I wouldn't fancy having chainmail nipping my nipples or scrotum (although I understand many people would pay for this these days).

One of the most ridiculous things in recent films based on historical events was the use of blue face paint (not even applied in Celtic swirl designs) on the faces of William Wallace and his men in the 13TH CENTURY!! in the film Braveheart, this was 700 years out of date (more in fact as the markings were obviously paint and not tatoos)! That was like having a film about World War 2 and having the soldiers dressed in medieval uniforms. I can just imagine Cromwell's Roundheads giving Rommel's troops a good kicking at Alamein or a troop of Knights Templars riding off a landing craft on the Normandy beaches in WWII to storm the German guns.

Hobgoblin
Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a bit of a rivalry, locally, between us SCA folks and the Ren Faire folks. Which is odd, considering the amount of overlap...

Meh. I like what I do. Faire is fun, but overall I prefer the SCA.

It's odd enough trying to tell my former boss that I needed a day off "to invade Wolfscairn".

And I almost got written up for bringing my plackard in for weighing at the postal scales.

But I love what I do. I'm hoping by the end of the season to be fighting again.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My ex girlfriend worked the one here as a wench selling Ye Olde Nonalcaholic Frozen Daquiries.

It was a hell of a fun place to work as far as she was concerned. Most of them (at least around here) do it purely for the love.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most of the fairs in the country have been bought up by two or three companies, so a lot of the concessions and stuff are franchised. They had prettty much the exact same food, right down to the signs, at the NY fair as they do at MD. Hell, even the employees looked the same.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I worked at the Maryland fair one summer. At the free pony rides. I had to walk through pony shit for 10 hours a day, two days a week for 3 months, and drive an hour and a half each way for the privilage. By the end of the summer, I had been appointed to walk the largest pony, because I was the only one strong enough to keep her in line. We had dubbed her "Widowmaker", since before I tooke over she had jumped the fence and thrown a kid into a tree.

I still have several friends who work there and at the Virginia fair when it existed. I dunno. It was a decent job for an 18-year-old, but it seems for people in their 30's...? My pal Steve works the "Drench a Wench" dunking booth, so he gets paid to insult people for throwing like girls. He's a natural. His day job is as a bill collector.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The one in PA has become crap.

They used to give a discount for coming in period clothing, and you could bring your weapons as long as you had peace knots.

Now, you can't bring your weapons even if they aren't real.

You used to be able to get scottish eggs, ale, stuff like that.

The Nachos of Nottingham made me want to find the owners and give them Ye Olde Finger. But they gotta stay in business somehow, I guess.
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is simple, you belong at a RENAISSANCE FAIR!!
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just to be fair, I'll point out that I own about 15 swords, 4 of which are actually quite nice pieces. I have been known to dress up and all that, but I don't give a shit about authenticity and I avoid any situation which would rquire me to sleep with the insects or shit standing up. I just like the poofy shirts.
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some people can be sooo negative. ;-)
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

If you're ever in the UK during the season then why not give 5th century a go?

Let's see...

Shitting outdoors
Bathing once a year
Wool, flax and hemp clothing
Lice
Being invaded and pillaged
Rotten food
Plague
Maggots
Lice
Death from sepsis
Slavery
Famine
Manual labor
Leprosy
Lice
Cold
Heat
Turnips
Horse shit
Cow shit
Pig shit
Celt shit

AND no absinthe. Or curry!
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cool, woad is the only proper attire for battle!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page