Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MINORITY REPORT

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » MINORITY REPORT « Previous Next »

Nilson
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bunny Lebowski -- I need to go find an ATM machine.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SPOILER!

Not only would that ending put the film in a whole different league, but it would make it an even bigger rip off of Brazil.
I personally didn't get the ending to be what you're speculating Anatomist, but now I want to see it again because I'm suspecting you're right. If that is the intended ending though, they shouldn't have been so subtle that it's almost non-existant.

Anybody know how the short story ended?
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

here's a DVD suggestion:

THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE.

Its a beautifully crafted and haunting ghost story. It reminded me of a cross between THE OTHERS and Bunuel's LOS OLVIDADOS. Its Spanish.
Directed by Guillermo del Toro, who directed BLADE 2.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and another film note. I just saw MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING and really enjoyed it. In many ways, it's a typical feel-good comedy/romance kind of deal. However, this film was written was written by the lead, Nia Vardos, purportedly based on her own family, and it has an unusual ring of truth in its gentle satire and comic understatement. Most refreshing of all, this film is utterly without guile or cynicism - there is no attempt at being hip, cool, or sophisticated anywhere in sight. This makes for a movie which is neither self-consciously smart nor insultingly stupid, but just plain honest fun. As light summer entertainment, I think it's quite an accomplishment.

K.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

More on MINORITY...

***serious SPOILER ALERT****

I heard a critic on the radio say that almost everyone has misunderstood the ending. He said if you think it has a tidy, hollywood ending, watch it again and pay particular attention to what they say to Cruise before they put him in his prison pod. Anyone else catch this? I'm thinking about seeing it again just to look for clues. In order for me to buy it, there would have to be some clear tip-offs after that point, otherwise it's just wishful speculation. If it's true that almost everyone missed the intended gist of the ending, I think it puts the film in a whole different league.

K.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The sandwich thing was funny, but The Simpsons did it first... and funnier. Homer had this huge sandwich, and he kept eating it for days and days. I think it sent him to the hospital more than once. It was exactly the same color as the the one in MINORITY, and at the end, Marge made him keep it in a bucket in the garage. I'll bet I've garbled some of the details, though.

K.
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the best part of Minority Report was when Tom Cruise ate the grey sandwich followed by the biohazard cocktail. Really really gross!
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So? Yer just jealous!
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, that's gonna happen.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm ready for Carrie Ann Moss spread eagle on my face...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone ready for the Matrix sequels ?
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just shows what an engrossing film Clockwork Orange is. I've seen it about 12 times and haven't noticed any of the continuity errors.
On the other hand, there's 1 glaring continuity error in minority report which is unforgivable, because it's CG! You see Tom Cruise kick the window out of his car, climb out on to the side of it, and low and behold, the window which you just saw fly down the road is back and he's standing on it!
Chrysippvs
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kubrick is known to purposely move objects around between takes to add an element of deep confusion to the audience.
Barsnake
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love Clockwork Orange - and consider it flawless.
But check this out...
http://www.movie-mistakes.com/film.php?filmid=284
I have not seen the movie since I found this - so I can't verify.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MINORITY REPORT was surprisingly excellent. The only drawbacks were that there was far too much exposition, and some extremely derivative moments. Cinematographer Janusz Kaminski must have seen Tom Tykwer's Princess and the Warrior, because the end shot for that movie and the end shot for Minority Report were identical. IDENTICAL!!! And the excessive exposition sometimes made the action a little more predictable and anti-climactic. However, there were some delightfully twisted moments where I felt like I was watching a Stanley Kubrick movie much more than a Spielberg movie, in fact Minority Report ironically felt that way more than AI did. There were some surprisingly grotesque moments, and I was happy to see Spielberg taking the risks that he did.

The CG was also excellent. I think cinema has finally reached a point where animation can be used and it won't make the movie look like a 2 dimensional cartoon. However, it does bring to light a serious problem with blue screening everything but the actors. The actors don't seem to know their place in their environment or situation. I felt Tom Cruise looked way too composed while climbing across the futuristic cars. It was a far cry from Indiana Jones getting dragged behind a truck!

Also, while I was first put off by the excessive product placement, it ended up almost being funny because they did it in such a tongue in cheek way. And the idea of the Pre-Cogs was very cool.
Minority Report was an excellent film, and I felt did justice to Phillip K. Dicks novel. Go see it!
Mvario
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of 'Wizard of Oz'... That one shot of the cops flying in the alley reminded me of the flying monkies
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

CHONGED!!!
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does projectile vomiting count?
Bob_Chong
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"his first adult film"

Were there any "money shots?"
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Er, backing up a bit here, Marc. I re-watched CLOCKWORK ORANGE a while ago, and it has no flaws.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just saw MINORITY today. I thought it was the best sci-fi movie I've seen in a long, long time. PK Dick has definitely got the ideas. You don't see real sci-fi stuff in movies like this often. I'm going to have to give his novels another shot. It's what sci-fi should be: intelligent extrapolation, flights of imagination... not space ships, laser beams and light sabers. BLADE RUNNER has more mood and style, but this one has more meat. I recognized Samantha Morton when I first saw her in the tank (from the BBC's EMMA) - I thought she was especially compelling. I didn't know it was a Speilberg movie until the closing credits... it surprised me.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm an adult and I enjoyed the shit out of
Jaws, Duel, Raiders, Jurassic...et al.

John Woo, the highpriest of ultra-violence,
says the movie that changed his lIfe was
THE WIZARD OF OZ.
Wormwood
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I liked the New York Time quote about the dark mood of this film praising it as "his first adult film".

Sorry guys but I didn't think take the kids to see Shindler's list and I didn't think it was a upbeat happy movie, but I don't review movies for the NY times.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MINORITY REPORT
is a cinema-tech-noir classic. It has its flaws, but so did BLADE RUNNER and A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.Spielberg has directed a dark, intense, and
exciting sci-fi flick with some genuinely macabre elements. There are scenes that evoke the grittiest of pulp novels and film noir. Tom Cruise does a very fine job in a role that requires a bit of brooding and alot of running.
I highly recommend this film. Even cynics who have discounted Spielberg, may find themselves surprised.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page