Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 21, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » GUN FORUM » Archive through June 21, 2002 « Previous Next »

Admin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh please. just chill out. drop it. say no more. fini.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Wolfgang, we better behave.

We are in a Forum where the use of the words "asshole" and "immature" deserve a yellow card.
Wormwood
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Guns and stupid arguments with Dr. O on the absinthe forum.

Don would be proud, if only he were here, sniff
Houseboy
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Despite that, it was your first warning. Both of you.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Houseboy, Mogan:

Thanks for your peacemaking.

However, if you scroll down half a page, you'll find this:

"Wolfgang, let's take this private. DrOrdinaire@aol.com "
Mogan_David
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr O

Don't be such a jerk.

Why not try a nice Mogan David wine? The alcohol fortification should help you calm down a little.

md2020
Houseboy
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You two, better take it outside.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's OK, "Wolfie". When I was young and immature I reacted that way too...
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, I don`t wanna talk with you.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, let's take this private. DrOrdinaire@aol.com
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You`r a fucking troll trying to corner me.

About once a month you try to pick a fight with someone for no apparent reason, building your anal argumentations on lies and rumors. You`r slowly mining this forum attacking old time members one by one until they get so sick of it they finally get away. I really don`t understand how comes you`r not banned yet.

Now move on. Get out of my way.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang: anybody who jumps in a bandwagon critizing an absinthe he has never tasted is either an Absinthe God or an asshole.

I don't see any aura around you.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Kal. I have to say it, once again Dr.O, you`r the worse asshole this board have ever seen.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"ROTF LOL !

and make sure to post us a review of your gift when you get it... "

Why wait to get it? He can do like Wolfgang, who reviews absinthes he has never tasted...and even suggests improvements...
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

When my wife turned 40 I asked if I could trade her in for two 20 yr olds.
She told me I wasn't wired for 220.

A bike would last longer than a girlfriend.
Mogan_David
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Barsnake,

No unfortunately I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was a teenager. The desire for another bike has been building for years. I've been telling my wife that for my 40th birthday I want either a Harley or a young girlfriend, it's her choice.

I just put up the picture because I like the sentiment expressed on the guys shirt.

MD
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

M D - sorry to get off topic - but judging from your profile pic, I assume you ride. If you do have you met a guy named Don Wright (Rat) there in San Antone?
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well up to now there`s at least 3 people I`ll like to visit in Texas so if it continue like that I`ll go on a tour ;-). Maybe in a distant future.
Mogan_David
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang,

If you should ever come to Texas, you would be welcome to come hunting with me. You wouldn't even need to buy a gun, I have extra.

I'll teach you my many secrets of scaring away deer.

MD
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, MD. You explain yourself well.
Mogan_David
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>Do you enjoy the moment in your hunting when you've shot the animal and suspect/know that it has been wounded or killed? I wouldn't be offended if you said yes: "bloodlust"

Absolutely, when you go and meet the animal on it's terms in it's home territory, the feeling of accomplishment is tremendous. This is hard to explain to people who haven't hunted because they see deer in parks and from the roadside and they don't realize that it's an entirely different thing to find a deer when it doesn't want you to find it. I have hunted every weekend for an entire hunting season (three months if you add in the bow season in Texas) without killing a deer. It is no easy thing to walk into the woods and get into a position to take a clean shot at a deer. Particularly because I don't use blinds or bait (both legal in Texas). Like mountain climbing the fun is in the chase, but the top is pretty darn good too.

>My second question is:

>Why do you indulge your desire to kill? Why not compromise: chase the animal if you must, but shoot it with a tranquilizing dart.

As strange as it sounds I would consider shooting a deer with a tranquilizing dart, or even a paintball cruel and pointless. Though it's tough on the individual deer, deer hunting actually is good for the deer population. Not just for population control, but also the money spent on deer hunting is a strong incentive for land owners to set aside wild areas for deer. States like Colorado make enormous sums of money (some of it mine) from hunters. This money is spent in part on wildlife habitat and helps all the animals in the area, not just the ones we like to eat. I don't see the need to compromise here since I don't feel it's wrong to kill an animal that you intend to eat, so long as the act of killing doesn't impact the survival of the rest of the herd.

>Final questions:
>In your opinion, should bloodlust not be taboo, since it can help humans to obtain food (fresh meat)? Is the thrill found in chasing, luring and killing ethically distasteful? Is it better that we have largely replaced it with the banality of mechanized slaughterhouses?

Bloodlust is a part of hunting, but it is the part that should be tempered with compassion and responsibility. It is a very powerfull way for parents to teach these values to their children. It shows the absolute finality and seriousness of the decisions we make. I remember once as a child I killed a bird with a BB gun. The guilt was crushing. I cried for the rest of the day, the gun that I thought made me powerfull showed me my powerlessness because I could never take back what I had done. It shaped my morals for the rest of my life.

The mechanized slaughter houses are a necessitiy of our times. The poor cow has been bread to into a giant meat factory and it's inteligence has largely been bread away. I find it all very sad. If I could eat wild meat for the rest of my life I would, if only because I find it a much more compasionate way to eat meat.

It's funny, because I don't have a lot of trouble throwing away a piece of uneaten beef, but I never do that with venison. It's almost like there's a bond between myself and the deer I killed. An obligation that none of it go to waste because of the life that was taken in order to provide the food.

MD
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mogan David,

Guilt is a very negative concept. If you commit an act that is wrong then that act has been committed and the effects of that act have occurred. No amount of guilt will right change that. Guilt is a form of self-blame and serves no purpose other than to punish oneself and cause oneself to suffer.

Regret on the other hand is positive. If I commit an act that is wrong then regretting that act, while not changing the effects of the act may help ensure that I do not commit such an act again. I acknowledge my wrongdoing with a sense of remorse and try to take future action not to commit this act.

If you do something wrong then what is the point of beating yourself up with the stick of guilt? This only leads to self-inflicted suffering, contempt of oneself and can lead to self hatred. You are what you are, no point blaming yourself for this. Much better to take the attitude that "OK I've done something wrong, I can't change what has been done, I'll try to take future action not to repeat the wrong-doing" and then move on without a feeling of guilt. The heavy feeling of guilt and self-blame pulls people back, often causes self-hatred and depression and stops (at least for while anyway) people from moving on with their lives in a positive fashion.

Hobgoblin
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, I will, Wolf. But what I really need is something to compare it against, know what I mean?

In my profile you'll find a line "To send samples contact..."
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ROTF LOL !

and make sure to post us a review of your gift when you get it...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your prize is an absinthe made with arsenious sulphide. Drink it abstemiously, if at all. ;-)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page