Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I have read the reviews, but still......

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Archive Thru July 2002 » I have read the reviews, but still... (experts invited) « Previous Next »

Albertcamus
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

tabu 73,kubler,segarra...pot.
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I recieved my Emile 68 yesterday, and I'm on the west coast of the US.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Raschied, Who did you order from ?? Thats great shipping...
Jdm
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i don't believe i have had one moment of feeling a 'secondary effect'. i mean, i see trails, hear voices, convulse, paint masterpieces, write poetry that would make a conservative cry, watch mulholland dr. 5 time in a row, but i dont know about any 'secondary effects'.

its just a nice drink. the intoxication is cleaner, i would say. so, instead of going for the 'high', reach for f. guy, and segarra and maybe something will happen along the way.
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also live near to a cargo airport, so it took the courier about ten minutes to drive to my house. Patience!
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wait, you live on the west coast and you got yours today, and I live on the east coast and mine hasn't arrived yet? Wha? Da-Doink?
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One word: Un Emile! Oh, wait, that's two words.

It ain't green, but it tastes great, and the shipping was spectacular! The order went out Friday from France, and arrived on the west coast on Monday!
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, still not all that warm to F. Guy... prefer Kubler which seems to be going against the prevailing winds this week... oh well, that's me, farting just to smell it.
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Zeroburn - I think the "effects" of absinthe are a result of various factors. Combine a high-alcohol drink that produces an unusual buzz with the company of interesting people, then add a splash of ritual, mystique and danger and there you have it - the absinthe experience!

Lately, the tide seems to indicate that E68 or F.Guy are the most authentic (best?) commercially available brands.
Giovannigray
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've tried about 15 different "brands" of absinthe during the last nine months or so. My favorite commercial product remains La Fee. I just love the way it tastes, and one glass does the trick nicely, thank you. (looking forward to my Emile 68, though)

Initially attracted by that whole mystique thing, I discovered a refreshing, very tasty drink that produces a very pleasant effect in place of an alcohol high (when limited to one drink, as I do customarily). Like Pikkle and Blackjack note, individual tastes and responses to "secondary effects" vary widely.

If I were to select a few based on the best combination of flavor and effects, I'd recommend La Fee, Kubler, NS 70, Deva 50, and Pernod 68. But, this is a HIGHLY subjective list. Francois Guy seems to be the Flavor of the Month just now, but I haven't yet warmed up to it.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Depends on what you're buying absinthe for. If it's for a wedding buy La Fee. Its cosmetic appeal is enough to win anyone over.
If its for sitting in the dark in your vampire robe wearing your butt plug while reading aleister crowley, I suggest Kubler. It's the Devil's brew for sure.
If you're looking for a well rounded decent absinthe that's a decent representation of vintage, it's either Emile, Segarra, or Guy. But Ted already said that.
Shit if you got money to burn, why not buy all 3 and compare? Why does it have to be just one?
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Products I've tried have varied in magnitude of effect... nothing has been so overwhelming as to knock me on my ass, the alcohol will do that first... the thing I noticed most was especially with the la bleue's I've tried is that I never really felt drunk for a while, no matter how much I drank... like I said, for a while... when whatever it was wore off, I was dead on my ass... the next thing I can say for sure is that I have some of the more wild dreams after a good hard night of imbibing a decent absinthe... yes, decent is all relative but most recently, the Kubler has really done the trick. Have yet to cut off any body parts though... I'll keep trying.
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the "experience" is a pretty subtle and widely variable thing. Some people claim to feel something signficantly different from the effects of alcohol alone, some do not, drinking the same brands.

Shop around, taste several brands. There is a new wave of apparently quite well-made products hitting the market now, like Emile and F. Guy. Try what you can and find the one you most enjoy drinking. If you get anything more from the experience than a tasty refreshing beverage, more power to you, but I think it is limitng to make the "secondary effects" the central focus of your drinking absinthe.
Giovannigray
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Two words: "La Fee"
Zeroburn
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All I know is what I have read, I'm not looking to get high, but the "experience" reported by absinthe users is what I'm seeking.
thanks.
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, hell...

Thujone means nothing. The methods conventionally used to measure thujone are hugely innacurate in the first place, so any claims of XXX mg/kg of thujone in a product are unfounded.

More to the point, the assumption that thujone is the source, or the soul source, of absinthe's "secondary effects" is not supported by any strong data. Buying absinthe by its thujone content is like buying gin based on the level of turpinene or pinene.
Tabreaux
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Want high thujone? Get Vick's Vapo-Rub. It does not get one 'high', and neither do any of the inferior, unpalatable products that boast high thujone content.

I suggest sidestepping the pitfalls of slick marketing and considering a product with some degree of artisanship, such as Segarra, Emile 68, or F. Guy.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm.
High thujone.
Willing to spend whatever cash is required.
Lives in Arizona.
Any suggestions, anybody?
Zeroburn
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have read the reviews, (and the FAQ's) and I'm still unsure.
I want what everyone wants... What is the best out there? I want high thujone but not at the expense of bouquet, flavor, etc.
I've read about La Fee, and emile 68, and Mary Mayans.
All replies are appreciated... I have a very special day coming up and I would like to have some on hand. I am willing to spend whatever cash is required, but I want it to be the best.
Thank you

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page