Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 22, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Markus Is the ma » Archive through June 22, 2002 « Previous Next »

Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What he means is, it ain't that hard.

Get your mail and lay it flat. See how the rings are angled one way, then the other in the rows? (I am assuming you have the good ol' international pattern here.)

So if you had a ring in hand, gapped a certain amount, you could just kinda slide it through the two there cause it's layin flat and crimp it (and/or rivet or even weld it.) Next verse, same as the first, with it now passing through three rings.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle,

"No it wouldn't..."

No it wouldn't what?

Instead of jumping in with mindless, insulting 1-liners, try to say something positive for a change. Your whole attitude on this forum seems to be about disrupting people's conversations and throwing insults about.

If you've got nothing positive to say then just piss off and go elsewhere.

Hobgoblin
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

no it wouldn't... you fucking simpleton!!!
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can understand a machine that makes the rings, that'd be a relatively simple and straightforward machine. But a machine that can attach rings together to create a sheet of chainmail would be an extremely complex machine indeed. I know a lot of armourers that make chainmail and yes they buy in machine-made links but they all assemble the mail by hand. I understood that that was the only way it could be done. I find a chain-mail assembling machine hard to even envisage.

Hobgoblin
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

WHO WANTS TO TALK STEEL MOTHERFUCKERS???????
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have heard of the machines that load wire and spit out sheets of completed Maile. The things almost smacks of witchery! Hehehe

Hobby- Several years ago, I drunkenly fell into a pirate ships (I know, I know... I was new) firepit. Not a mark on me. I don't remember though, as I was hammered to the Nth degree.

There is a Knight locally who has a rivited maile "skirt" attached to his bascinet helm... looks quite nice (I wish I could remember the name... grr..).

I am also looking forward to a quiet night of poetry and song while imbibing in some Absinthe. I may even have pictures... here's hoping, anyways.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Usually called a mandril.

What I am talking about is a clanging, powered monstrosity that you attach a spool of wire to.

It spits out chainmail.

Muuuch faster. But even an automated ring-maker that didn't assemble would more than double your capacity.
Wormwood
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw a mail making machine once it is a small grooved rod with a clamp near its base. A length of thick wire is secured in the clamp and then the rod turns and winds the wire along its length. Next cutters are inserted in the groove and the wire spiral is chopped into metal rings which can then be formed into chain mail.
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I had huge forearms for awhile...

Me too...then I got a girlfriend...

I kid because I love...

Seriously, I did the while mail-making thing in high school briefly. After about 20 hours I had a nice peice of mail toilet paper, and decided that pre-made maiil wasn't so expensive after all.

LH: Some of the nicer stuff is being made by Chinese slave labor now. They've well overtaken the Indians in terms of quality weapons and armor for the price. Some of the stuff coming from Hanwei / CAS Iberia is quite decent.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had blueprints for awhile, but never the resources to build one...

You know the very fine ringed mail used in anti-shark suits? Machine made.

For this kind of stuff, you need to tool your machinery to cut much thicker wire etc, but the principle holds.

Even if you only have a machine to form wire into rings, you just saved half the time at least.

I had huge forearms for awhile... I did it to learn patience, actually.

It worked too.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack,

I know mail-shirts can be made dirt cheap using Indian slave labour. You can get a standard mail shirt for £120, mine cost over 3 times this but it is better quality, fits me perfectly, looks better and at least I can wear it with a clean conscience. I don't want some poor 7-year-old Indian child ruining there fingers and wrists and being paid buttons to make mail shirts for people like me who can afford to buy a homemade one anyway and even if we couldn't afford them we don't need them.

Hobgoblin
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rabid,

What sort of a machine could make ring-mail? I can't imagine any type of a machine other than an automated robot that could do this.

So you've made 3 mail-shirts, you have my respect. You must have sore hands and a lot of patience.

Where is this link Wolfy posted? I can't bloody see it.

Hobgoblin
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

:-0

sorry!
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The one you posted the link to, you crackhead ;-)
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

which site are you talking about ?
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The best design I have seen is stamped (solid the whole way round because they are cut that way and never joined) with riveted.

Wolfgang, that is the lowest price I have ever, ever seen for a mailshirt like that.

Having made three non-riveted shirts myself, I thought- this guy is using a machine.

And he is- he has two!

If you are looking for a mailshirt, based on is site... go for it.

Hobby, check his prices. You may be able to keep the wife after all.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

double post.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and what about welded rings ? Would it be better than riveted rings ?

(Yes I have been a fan of medieval history some years ago...)
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riveted mail-shirt would be like à "chain mail +1" in AD&D ...

( Or maybe it's the reverse, non-riveted being -1 ?)

Also look at that, they sell all kind of rings from copper to titanium !
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riveted mail shirts can be had for ~$500, thanks to the wonders of exploited third-world labor.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All right Blackjack, truly 100% authentic mail-shirts would indeed be rivetted.

Chain mail can only be made by hand and it takes ages attaching each link manually with pliars, which is how it is done (I haven't the patience to make a whole shirt but I did make an aventail for my helm which in itself took many, many tedious hours). An average mail shirt contains about 15,000 links. Do you know how much it would cost to have someone make a rivetted mail-shirt? In addition to joining each link, you'd have to drill a hole in each link, put a rivet through and seal the rivet! I don't know anyone who would spend in excess of £3000 for a mail-shirt which is the sort of money you'd be talking for a proper rivetted shirt.

My mail-shirt is not rivetted, I have yet to meet anyone who owns a proper rivetted mail-shirt. There's only so much a sane person will spend on a hobby. If I spent £3000 on a mail-shirt I'd be heading for a divorce.

Hobgoblin
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

they do galvanise some these days but in my opinion they look shiny and not authentic, but I'm a fussy bastard.

Is it riveted? Because the real fussy bastards only wear riveted mail.
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

All that AND no rust on the armor...
you da man!
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So am I.

I did quite a bit of exploding the following day though. I spent half a day throwing up the contents of an empty stomach. Not very nice when you try and drink some water to rehydrate yourself and it comes straight back up again.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page