Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 24, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Un émile 68° est arrivé et pret à sortie » Archive through June 24, 2002 « Previous Next »

Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For my own tastes, adding a sugar cube to Emile 68 makes it undrinkable. The drink has enough sweetness on it's own that it kills all subtlety in the flavor to add the sugar.

I have to mention it - I've had 4 glasses since I got home, and the 'clarity' is more pronounced this time than since my first glass of Serpis many moons ago. I'm wondering how I'll feel at 4am when I get up for my flight. Oy.
Emileguysmiley
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Got mine today. The Sebor flavor is really noticable. I noticed the same thing in one of the "Pernod" clones that I tasted last month. Is this because Sebor has the most wormwood or the least anis? I think it's nice, but it's a little soapy tasting to me.
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fortunately, I have a screen door that nicely conceals packages. What concerns me is my Wolvie order which will be handled by the Post Office, which held onto my last La Fee order for a week without telling me it had arrived!
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's good and bad in that.

Unfortunately, they always just leave the packages on the step for the whole world to see...I don't have a fence or anything. Luckily I was home to grab it, It may not have been there later.

Hell, I'd rather see a note on the door and pick it up down the street at the Post office...a safe environment. Well, safer...I should say.
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If they show up and leave you a delivery notice, you can sign something waiving signature..notwithstanding that, it wasn't a UPS package that arrived at my place with the Emile, and they left it without requiring a signature. Hopefully, they'll do the same with you!
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I may have to wait until Friday, when I'm off work, since it seems to have come UPS and the guy won't leave things without a signature.
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack, My order WAS sitting at the doorstep in the 95 degree DC heat today, but the Emile was no worse for the wear.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That would be hard, since it's a screw cap.
Where the hell is mine anyway?
Stupid postman.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, hold onto it for 100 years, and I'm sure it will be worth something . . . just be sure to drill a hole in the cork and suck the contents out.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it's not that faded.

signature
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had the same paranoid feeling opening the package. I guess wherever it was packed had the smell of absinthe in the air.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yea, it seems I got one of the "Signed" bottles as well, although, it kinda rubbed off with the packing that was conformed to the bottle.

I can't really see it, but, it may not even be worth much. Who knows?

By the way, I noticed a sweet smell from the bag before opening the package...I thought it may have broken in transit, but all is well. So, I guess the contents will be sweet, like described earlier.
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got one of the 'signed' bottles. :) I ordered the Friday I got the e-mail, so from order to delivery it took 10 days. From ship to delivery it only took 3 days (!)

I'll break out the digital camera when I get home, and get pixs for the unordered. I had to come in to work today after all. Gave me more reason to drink though. I had to witness the layoff of a good friend. :(
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's 1:17 pm and mine's not here yet *sniff*

Of course, I ordered it Wednesday, so I would guess mine wasn't the first out the door!

*Patiently awaiting the Brown Fairy*
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gah! I have visions of my bottle sitting on my doorstep in the 95-degree Washington DC heat!
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I must commend the speed of shipping and even the price wasn't bad comparatively.

As I am not an early morning drinker, I will wait, but good to hear the reviews.

Additionally, it was great to hear someone prowling about on my porch (or deck or veranda for those thinking - Huh?) this morning and realizing that is wasn't a prowler - It was the EMILE GUY! That's what I'll call him.
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hipour
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crosby
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mine just arrived! Great packaging, it survived the courier dropping it when my wife's six pound Chihuahua terrified him. Smells very warm and inviting. I guess today I'll have to indulge in a Ten-To-Noon'er.
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Petermarc
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

for a better louche: very cold water and
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Very nice. Very very nice. Damn! Now I can't drive to the office this morning! Oh, well, time for another glass.
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also want to say that the Sebor I am referring to isn't "Sebor Strong" or any of that bastardized ilk. The kind I refer to is the 55% stuff from La Boheme UK that doesn't even say Sebor on the front label. It says "Likerna Krasna Lipa Absinth." There is definitely something shared between Emile and this version of Sebor. The wormwood is much more in the foreground in both of them than in any of the Spanish varieties I've tasted. Maybe that's the connection.

God, I want another glass, but I don't dare. I'm already feeling this one. But, I haven't tried it with sugar yet, and I want to. Hmmm...
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another tasting note - while it smells of alcohol, it doesn't show up in the taste. It is extremely, almost dangerously smooth. This is a true velvet hammer - I could drink the whole bottle.
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Color out of the bottle is clear, with a very light brown tint. The odor is lightly anise, with quite a bit of alcohol.

Adding 4 parts water to 1 part Emile gives almost no louche at all. However, the aroma picks up quite a bit, and I can smell the anise, wormwood, and something else with a very sweet aroma. Not sickly sweet, mind you, but it smells sweet the way a flower smells. The glass is slightly milky.

the taste - It seems to take the best of the La Boheme Sebor in the green square bottle, and mix it with the best of the Spanish. I haven't tried any La Bleue, so that's my only source of comparison. The 'differentness' I've tasted in Sebor, with the best anise tones of serpis and deva. It's quite good.

I would buy this again. I'm a little disappointed in the louche, but the flavor is terrific. And, the shipping service was spectacular.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page