Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 24, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Markus Is the ma » Archive through June 24, 2002 « Previous Next »

_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not so sure about a sword blade, tho I'm in no mood to test the theory, considering the cost of the boots (not to mention my feet). The Kevlar weave used is specifically designed for lunberjacks, to be cut-resistant, for things like chainsaws and axes. I would still end up absorbing most of the kinetic energy, which would likely leave lacerations even if the metal never touched me, and break the bone, but I'd suspect my foot would hang on.

Anyway, it's not like it's ever really going to come up. I just got the Kevlar because it was just a bit more expensive than the regular lining, and it sounds cool.

On the other hand, there is a reason every pair of shoes I own has steel toes. I just don't trust bipeds...
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always chuckle when I see a post on "Markus is the Ma" thread. Ma? What?

heh heh heh
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They won't stop a sharp sword blade either. A good swing of a sharp Spatha or Saxon broad-sword would see your Kevlar boot cut off you with your foot still inside it. That was the favoured way of killing in the dark ages, chop of a limb and let your enemy bleed to death.

Hobgoblin
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a pair of Kevlar lined boots. They won't stop a bullet, but they will substantially slow down a chainsaw.

One time my pal Boner showed up to show off his new flack vest, and the second he turned around, Johnny shot him in the back with a spear gun...
Bryan
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wrecked my Ducati a couple weeks ago, my kevlar jacket was hanging on my buddies bike, right next to my pants and helmet... stupid....at least the expensive clothes were intact.
Barsnake
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hope you were not hurt when you laid down your bike - Been there done that.
Raschied
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My kevlar shirt saved me a ton of skin the other day, when I laid the motorcycle down on a road with sharp rocks. Cut up my knee pretty bad, though. Jeans don't provide much protection...
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"There was a Darwin Award, or maybe a Morbid Fact of the Day, I read awhile back. Security guard A sez 'hey, security guard b, see if this vest will stop your knife!'"

This probably happens more often than we'd like to think... I found two separate incidents in the Darwins, one involving a security guard in Moscow, the other an ROTC student, both no longer of this world.

My favorite Darwin award has to be the guy who tried robbing a gun shop -- full of armed customers -- while a cop car was parked right in front of it.

If he hadn't decided to start shooting, he might have lived.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm developing an armor made of corn kernels
and butter flavored thread. In the event of
a gun fight, the wearer will have popcron to
eat while waiting for the EMS to come tend to
his/her wounds.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

compress anything enough and I'm sure it would...
Aion
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>I wonder if spider silk will stop a knife?
No, spider silk, albeit having a higher
tensile strength es Kevlar, has a much longer
elongation, almost like an elastomer fiber
(Lycra, etc.). So it will neither stop
high- nor low-speed intruding object in time.
A.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if spider silk will stop a knife?

Let's find out! Who wants to wear the vest?
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kevlar doesn't stop knives. I have cut kevlar- It's easy.

So when Hobby finally gets mad enough at being called a lily livered legume loving pantywaist, and comes over the pond to lop off bits of me, I wont be wearing anything made to stop bullets...

Kevlar stops bullets because the fibers kind of catch it and slow it down (they stretch and absorb the force, or at least enough of it.)

There was a Darwin Award, or maybe a Morbid Fact of the Day, I read awhile back. Security guard A sez 'hey, security guard b, see if this vest will stop your knife!'

I bet he still gets ribbed about that in Hell.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kevlar, and insinuating I would insinuate kevlar to be a suitable steel substitue is anything but pikkle-esque... I prefer a high-carbon HSLA myself... and no, that's not a gun girls...
Mogan_David
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Trainer

That's very cool.

I'm still distracted by the Monty Python style character of Sir Stinky's vain attempts to lure the other Knights into combat.

"What are you wearing?"
"It's cheese sir. Now lets fight"
"Cheese?"
"Yes Cheese, Now draw your sword!"
"I most certianly will not"
"Why not?"
"I just polished my sword"
"What?"
"I just polished my sword and I won't be getting any cheese on it today."

Well it goes on from there. Sometimes the voices in my head amuse me.

MD
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MD -

Sir Stinky? Bleah.

I suppose the whole Kevlar comment was interruptive and inappropriate (Pikklesque?), so I apologize.

But yes, they actually are genetically engineering goats so their mammary glands produce spider silk (the chemical compounds, anyway). They add salt to the milk, the silk stuff separates out, and they use machines to spin it. It's stronger than steel, and they want to make clothes and bulletproof vests from it.

Scary, huh?
Mogan_David
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Trainer,

I think you were probably serious, but the idea of chainmail made of goat cheese cracks me up.

Sir Stinky.. LOL
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy Kevlar and be done with it?

Or maybe that nifty new spider silk stuff they're making from the milk of genetically-engineered goats. Where did I see that article?
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You would need to have the mail flat... giving it a piece to build on would be the easiest way.

Now the mail is flat on a horizontal surface, with the edge rings sticking off. Little metal rods come out of the surface and move just a little to the side to hold all the rings stiffly in place, and at a certain angle to allow a clamp holding an open ring (offset like a cut section of spring, rather than straight) to thread that ring through the right ones on the mail.

This is in a sort of circular motion so the new ring ends up with the open part pointing up. The original clam is holding that ring not at the end, but near it.

Now another clamp comes from above and attaches to near the other end. That clamp moves so that the ring is now flat (and just a wee bit inward so the holes for the rivets line up if it's riveted.)

Now a riveter comes down (looks a lot like a pair of pliers) and pops that rivet in place.

Clamps let go. First clamp goes back to the ring feeder to get another. new ring falls flat, rods retract and come back out to hold the old rings and now it. Horizontal surface moves to the side one ring distance.

Alternately, you could use a grooved horizontal piece that offsets to angle the rings in place of the rods.
Pataphysician
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This brings to mind a line I heard at the giant supermarket a while back. On one end of the aisle was a 40ish middleclass white couple. At the other end of the aisle was a 40ish middleclass black couple. They look at each other:

"Bill, Susan, is that you?"
"Bob, Teresa? Oh my god how long has it been?!"

They come running down the aisle and hug and laugh. These two black teenagers are standing near me. One elbows the other and says:

"Look -- it's a fucking Kodak Moment."
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, everything back to normal.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and if you ever want me to explain manufacturing processes, I'll be glad to do so, for a small fee of course...
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Hobby... it's just my version of tough love... where I work, that's a compliment... SMOOCHES Ya limey...
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hob,

word.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rabid,

OK we have different approaches.

If someone approaches me in the street and deliberately insults me then the only Zen he'll hear from me is the sound of one hand (fist shaped) clapping (very hard) against the end of his nose.

Anyway to get back to your chain-mail machine. If you managed to get a machine to interlock rows of links in the standard chain-mail manner, how would you get a machine to close each link? That'd be one hell of a job to get a machine to do.

Hobgoblin

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page