Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 22, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » A Different Departure » Archive through June 22, 2002 « Previous Next »

Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No steroids anywhere near me. I have a short fuse when it comes to expressions like the one that set me off (and a bunch of other stuff too). It didn't appear to me to be an expression of genuine and personal concern for our wayward wench, but the attempt at reciting cliches to appear profound... which is like painting a bullseye on your chest, in my world. As background on my faux-profundity sensitivity, that link I posted was actually sent to me without a hint of irony by a born-again christian woman who concealed such from me until our second date. Anyway, if I was wrong, and it was a sincere expression, then I apologize... very unsportsmanlike.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

mogan,

I agree that anatomist's lashing out at you was undeserved. He can be meanspirited. Steroid poisoning?
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

Though the page isn't mine, I'll agree with you that I'm aesthetically deficient.

Not an artist at all. This is why I backed out.

Though you may not appreciate my brand of humor or sensibilities, I try to be a nice person. I felt attacked and lashed out in a way that I regreted, I apologized.

I don't know what else you want from me.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I'm curious, what the hell are you comunicating?"

Well, that's a start. What I'm communicating varies according to whom is on the other side. For you, apparently, I am amplifying your disdain for gothic/heavy metal subject matter. On the other hand, I suspect that you were either unaware or apathetic about what I do until you started grasping for something with which to attack me. What it's about for me can't be adequately summarized in words - if it could, I'd write books, not make objects. If I could pick a few words relevant to what I'm doing, they'd be nature, structure, transience, focus...

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist's art communicates to me.

mogan,
communicating with you requires an appreciation of guns, redneck humor and cornball sentiment.
I can understand why you might not "get" what anatomist is doing.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

mogan david,

with a home page as aesthetically deficient as yours, I'd think twice before attacking the compelling artistic accomplishments of anatomist.
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist,

Go ahead and take your next shot, it's your turn, but then let's stop this.

Criticizing someone's art is a little like kicking in the balls. It's dirty fighting, I'm sorry I did it to you.

I'll just say that I think you are a better artist than your subject matter suggests.

MD
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist,

First of all I don't pretend to be a writer, I don't even spell that well. From now on I'll keep my sentiments to myself.

On the score of craftsmanship I'll agree that your stuff is very well done, but art is much more. It's about the artist comunicating a feeling, emotion, hell anything at all to his audience. I'm curious, what the hell are you comunicating?
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, first of all, you haven't seen any of my work, you've only seen tiny jpegs of it. Secondly, you obviously don't understand what it's about, all you can see is your preconceptions of the apparent subject matter. Thirdly, I like heavy metal art, so I don't really take any of that as pejorative. I could see fitting some of what I do into that genre... although I don't see how that makes it comparably hackneyed to that impersonal, unimaginative 'Precious Moments' drivel you offered up below. Fourthly, as far as 'done' goes, I challenge you to find anyone, anywhere who expresses equivalent skill with an oxy-acetylene torch. If you can find them, I'm eager to meet them.

Oh, and if you ever manage to do anything more creative than cutting and pasting a jpeg or a cliche, let me know...

K.
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Talk about hackneyed and done, give me a fucking break!
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or hell maybe the next Tool video.

tool
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way Anatomist,

I can't wait to see photos of some of your work on the next Metalica album cover.

MD
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In that case I agree with Pikkle,

Go ahead and fuck like a bunny.

BTW, I did enjoy the one scene where the deer was drinking from a stream. Broadside to the photographer, perfect shot.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mogan David,

Where did you get that hackneyed crap? Off of a doily from a christian bookstore? This one's for you, o' wise one (click the 'view presentation' button):

http://www.interviewwithgod.net/

K.
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I say: fuck like a bunny!

That's all...
Pataphysician
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In my youth it was Punk and all that went with it. When the '80s rolled around I experienced the same thing you are now, Vera. Realizing that the world had not changed like I thought it just would. Then it seemed like all my youthful enthusiasms were a waste. Pretentious? Hoo, boy! Tell me about it. But now, decades later, the value of those attitudes and experiences seems more apparent. Like I said: I never learned anything that didn't come in handy later.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Though I have sung the mad pleasures of wine and opium, I thirst only for a liquor unknown on earth which the pharmaceutics of heaven itself could not afford me; a liquor that contains neither vitality nor death, neither excitation nor extinction. To know nothing, to will nothing, to sleep and still to sleep, this today is my only wish. A base and loathesome wish, but sincere."
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vera,

We waste our youth with inexperience and ignorance.

Spend our middle years fearing old age and dying.

Spend our last years with regret that we wasted so much time in feeling old.
Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

did i start another story for nothing?
did i ever write a story worth starting?
these questions answered and more on the next episode of: RETURN OF THE WENCH
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Be old, but not silent. Life is longer than you can imagine. Much longer. Pretentions?! Ha Ha! What would we be without our pretentions? Didn't read enough? Pretend you did. Goth bullshit? Youth laid to waste? I never learned anything that didn't come in handy later.

Plant yourself to the tree with roots -- you ain't goin nowhere.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't say anything that wont sound excessively sappy and stupid, so here goes:

I will miss you, and I hope you come back soon, and take care of yourself, and if there is some service I may render, at your service is what I am.

I am glad to have had the chance to know you, digitally or not. You brightened my day more times than I can count.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...when you're in Florida, it's just plain hell.

If you're really down, Vera, you might want to try what I do: listen to Neil Young's CORTEZ THE KILLER over and over until you sink into virtual catatonia... wait, that's the wrong card... oh here it is... I was going to say that failing to take care of your mind isn't really a failure, because you have to let it go where it may. However, you can endeavor to take care of your body. When my life seems like hopeless shit, I try to put as much effort as I can into honing all my nutritional and exercise behaviors. It makes me feel better in a concrete, immediate way, and it may actually be buying me more time. Life may seem to suck now, but I'm healthier at thirty two or three than I've ever been. My overall vitality will probably be virutally the same 10 years from now, and - barring meteor impacts, disease, or other shit happening - I can expect to be fit and healthy well into my 70's. That's a long time. Lot's of things can change in ways that are beyond my imagination in that span. On the other hand, if I fell into habits of eating crap and being sednetary, I could expect to feel decrepit and old in no time... my Dad is dying of metastatic colon cancer at 59 as the result of beligerence about neglecting his own health - quite a wake up call.

Take care of yourself - not in some doughy, psychobabble sense. Let all that be. Just eat some vegetables and jump some rope. Take antioxidant supplements and eat something organic. To paraphrase my yoga teacher, spend less time worrying about what's happening to your soul, and more about what's happening to your heel.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

EXIT THE WENCH.
I'm looking forward to the sequel:
RETURN OF THE WENCH.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's hell getting old.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

vera,

go if you must, but please be gentle with yourself. You're a young, supremely talented artist who has managed to create some sublime work. Thats alot more than most people do in a lifetime.
Verawench
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I seem to recall, as if from a dream, long spans of time when I cared, fervently, about what took place here. I haven't in quite a while. In fact, I barely drink anymore, as it makes me tired and tearful.

Anyway... I will keep looking for Rabbit's existentialism and Anatomist's fierce sobriety (I envy your strong philosophies, K...). And Artemis' photographs which reveal him to me more than his most impassioned posts. I regret never being able to make him my true friend. It says something very bad about me.

See, this has been my youth, laid to waste on a heap of pretentions. Goth bullshit, didn't read enough, failed to take care of my mind and body, lost friends I should never have made to begin with. I would like to be old and silent now, if I may.

Exit The Wench.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page