Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe Buyers Guide

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Absinthe Buyers Guide « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you report the spamming to his ISP, they may well shut him down.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm getting around two of his generic emails a day now. I don't think spamming the people he wants to send him free absinthe is a good business decision.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn... and I sent him four so he'd rate each cheek of my plump white ass... it tastes like a fine la bleue you know... or so I've been told... I talk to myself alot too...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What a Jackass.... Who the hell is he trying to fool ? Like anyone would give up 2 bottles of absinthe. His ass can find someone to buy from and go through the torture of waiting just like everyone else. I HATE people like this.
Mclion
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good to hear, that you share my feeling about this site.

Markus
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, Markus, he just wants to get two free bottles of every brand on the market so he doesn't have to PAY for them! Imagine how long two free bottles of EVERY brand would last . . .

Maybe Hill's will send him two free bottles. That should shut him up.

As soon as he's finished milking the website for bottles, I'm sure it'll suddenly vanish.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

kallisti, i've got friends from new jersey that can make a special pair of boots for our little begger and thief out your way... let me know... you know we got your back.
Mclion
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This really must be a test. I'm not willing to pay such a ridicules amount to get listed. Nobody knows this site, nobody knows this guy - I don't see the point. Especially since this site is the worldwide accepted reference! Maybe someone from SF should visit this guy and... check things out. Maybe the idea behind is not bad, but to me it seems a copy of an existing site and a rip off! For what reason he needs two free bottles of each sort? He said 1 for doing a still and the other for testing. Stupid - there are tons of good stills around and nobody would care about if he would use them. I do not believe that someone is able to do a propper review after a complete bottle of whatever Absinthe :-)

Markus
Absinthespoon
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I exchanged a number of emails with this person a few weeks ago, but did not know about the website. I should get a free listing!
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got offered a chance of a free listing of my antiques site and then asked to pay for a listing for absintheonline plus donate 2 free bottles for review. I checked out the owner of the site on whois but it didn't ring any bells.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps Logan Fils can get a review there.
Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Presumably they will disappear into well deserved obscurity a couple of months after the "Grand Opening".
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh, so my answer to you Oxy, is no ... probably most of the well known vendors received. I know of two others.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think the link to markus might just be a test link, as its the only one. another vendor made me aware of it. and we pretty much concur that it's a shallow attempt at making a cheap buck.

Quote:

List Your Absinthe In the Buyer's Guide
If you are a distiller or an official distributor of Absinthe, you can list each of your products in the Buyer's Guide. Each product listed will include a professional photo set, a "Where To Buy" link to your online store, an "Information" link to your website, and an objective review. Your product will be included in all Buyer's Guide advertisements and promotional literature.

Our Pre-Grand Opening listing fee is $75.00 for 2 years and requires that you submit one unopened samples for our photo library. Our mailing address is listed below.

To get started, click on the $75.00 Visa/Master Card button below.

List Your Website On The Buyer's Guide Links Page

If you have an Absinthe related website, you can list it on the Absinthe Buyer's Guide Links page. Each website listed will include the title of your site and a description. The title will be a link to your website.

To get started, click on the $29.00 Visa/Master Card button below.

All fees are for research, advertising, and website maintenance.

Submit Samples For Photos & Review

I think he required two free bottles plus sample size for tasting reviews. riiiiiiight.

as I explained to the vendor, unless they DO have some pretty savvy marketing scheme, someone is just as well off listing with me (if not better) as potential customers are just as likely to reach their site as mine thru a search engine.

it's all humbug. and from bay area local as well. bah.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We already have what we need on the subject here. It looks like the "Where to purchase" goes to http://www.lafeeverte.de

Although, they are probably trying to sell their collectibles as well.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It appears that me that it is someone out to make a buck and get some free samples while they are at it.
Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Am I the only one here to have received an anonymous email "because of your knowledge of Absinthe" from the mysterious (at least to me) new "Absinthe Buyers Guide" at http://www.AbsintheBuyersGuide.com ? They seem to be based in San Francisco (!) and say that the website will be "officially launched" in mid-August.

The name and aims seem disturbingly similar to Kallisti's guide: a history of absinthe, a listing of the principal brands and from whom they can be ordered, links to absinthe collectibles vendors, and book suggestions.

The initial entries don't exactly inspire confidence, nor does the potted history of absinthe, which includes the following snippets, all of which are...er... new to me.....

Absinthe was the drink of choice in the 18th century.
It was rationed to French solders in the Algerian War of 1840 for courage on the battlefield.
Thujone is a toxin when taken in large amounts, it is said to be responsible for Absinthe's mysterious opium like effects.
The louche occures when the essential oils are not able to disperse in the water, therefore creating a clouding effect.

I've written back to them and suggested that they read an elementary primer on the subject before proceeding any further.....

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page