Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

An Attempt at Love Poetry

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » An Attempt at Love Poetry « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 27, 2002Admin26 6-27-02  8:02 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chrysippvs
Posted on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Agrippa wrote a similar book called "Declamation on the Nobility and Preeminence of the Female Sex" in 1549 or so. It is curious.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Italy has produced some impressive Lucrezias. My favorite is the humanist Lucrezia Marinella (1571-1653), who wrote "The Nobility and Excellence of Women and the Defects and Deficiencies of Men". Far less strident (and much cleverer) than the title implies.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

... about an evil doctor in Rennaissance Italy who experiments in the dark side of horticulture. Good Absinthe reading.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The text of "Rappaccini's Daughter" is available several places on the Net. It's fairly short. I can think of several people here who would like it:

http://www.shsu.edu/~eng_wpf/authors/Hawthorne/Rappaccini.htm
Admin
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

indeed! I have read that somewhere too. I have yet to check out the Hawthorne story however.

for a thorough and fascinating treatment, see Ricci's two volume "Beatrice Cenci" ... written around the turn of the century and translated from the italian, it is however still a magnificent piece of scholarship. very well researched and he goes to considerable lenghths to dispel several of the cenci myths.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

But when I saw her I was expecting Incest, Patricide, and Beheading.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cool. Yeah, I saw her in the beheading section of this site. I recently did some research on that portrait and it's connection to Hawthorne. I wrote a bit theorizing that Beatrice Cenci was the model for Beatrice in Hawthorne's "Rappaccini's Daughter". Fascinating story. The Cenci's that is. "Rappaccini", too.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page