Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 25, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Un émile 68° est arrivé et pret à sortie » Archive through June 25, 2002 « Previous Next »

Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got mine today. Very, very nice. When compared to F. Guy, the old cognac/armagnac saying comes to mind. F. Guy is a giggly 19-year old blonde with a pierced lip. Emile 68 is a 30-something brunette with a small, tasteful ankle tattoo and many stories to tell.

My only very small gripe is that the screw-top seal isn't perforated well enough to crack open unassisted... I needed a corkscrew with a blade and didn't have one (I'm in the middle of a move) so I wound up losing a little blood getting the thing open.

The contents, happily, are worth bleeding for, or perhaps even taking a second job in order to be able to afford them more often. Something about the taste reminds me of an obscure brand of cough drop I enjoyed when I was little. Could there be horehound in this? The taste is so smooth and well-blended that the individual herbs are hard to identify.

Very well done!
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wait'll ya taste it..
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep, my Emile arrived today, safe and sound. The UPS package is some chrome for the Eldorado which I probably won't get around to installing until the weather cools down anyway...

I haven't tried it yet, because I need to be sober for a grocery run, but I have the next 4 days off, so...

Oh, it smells WONDERFUL...
Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

9-1-1 Telephone Call
Tucson, Arizona
Tuesday, June 25
6:55 PM

"Hello, police? Yes, I need to file a missing persons report. He's a brown fairy. Name? He answers to Emile. Yes, he's 68. That's right, brown, and a fairy. Nope, not green, he's definitely more brown than green. He seems to have gotten lost on his way from Europe. That's it, yes. No, I don't know who was supposed to be accompanying him. Yes, I know 68 is awfully young for a fairy to be traveling alone. Identifying markings? Yes, I'll email you a photo. You'll put out an APB? Thank you. I feel better already."
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Which vendor is everyone getting the Emile 68 from?
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, i also got Oxygenee from Markus, and Oxygenee isn't absinthe. Taste like La Fee minus any flavor that remotely resembles absinthe. Gotta pour a glass of emile just to get that taste out of my mouth. It's a pretty bottle, but inferior to any of the spanish. And Betty charges $120 for 70cl of this fakery?
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Was the super-speedy delivery only for these first orders or will it always be that fast?

Delivery speed results thus far:

Ian
eabsinthe.com
Markus
SC
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

all my bottles go quickly...
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

WAAA! Mine still hasn't arrived, but that's the couriers fault, not Ians. On the address I included my name and address, but not the business name for the address, so they didn't deliver, even though the address is correct.
In the meantime, I got the Emile 45 from Markus (ironically delivered to the very same address the courier for Emile 68 refused), and the 45 ain't bad either. I feel it could actually use just a smidge of sugar, and I NEVER take sugar with my absinthe. It's real nice though, but not as La Bleueish as I'm expecting the 68 to be. I think the higher alcohol would bring out the flavors of the herbs more, and the 45 is a little one dimensional. The good news is the anise is actually in check. Doesn't overwhelm the other flavors. I taste wormwood too.
I think Francois Guy tastes more pleasant than Emile 45, but 45 has much stronger secondary effects and is 14 Euros cheaper than Guy (although only 70cl, boo hoo). I'd say 45 is La Bleue lite. This bottle is going to go quick.
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I had my second glass of E68 this afternoon, and it's rapidly climbing up my list of favorites, surpassing the Spanish, and tapping on La Bleue's shoulder.
Absinthesque2
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Works with sugar too, though I still prefer it without.
Absinthesque2
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack. . .The courier service is not UPS, so that probably is not your Emile.

I've had mine for the first time this evening, quite a bit really. I often find my first impressions are not accurate, but FWIW, here's my very inebriated take.

The Emile blows everything else that's available away. This includes Wolvie's Verte, which, while quite good, has a crudeness and strikes me as having been made with an inferior alcohol. It's way better than any La Bleue I've ever had, more complex and far more interesting.

It is perhaps not as subtle as vintage. . .the only time I've thought sugar made sense is with vintage, and the Emile does not seem to need any sugar (I haven't tried it that way yet).

All in all, I will enjoy my Serpis and my Larsand from time to time, since they are somewhat entities unto themselves, and Guy is pretty good too, but I think you can forget about everything else unless you're a hogsmacker. ..

Mark
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hm. I'm beginning to think the slip I got from UPS yesterday was NOT my Emile, since according to the tracking, it was in Illinois on Thursday, before the Emile would have shipped.

D'oh! I know what it was. It's some car parts I ordered. I hope my Emile makes it today...

...or that the construction workers in the apartment across the hall didn't see the box and help themselves...
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It looks like there were only two misdeliveries yesterday. The courier company uses local delivery agents who are instructed to only leave packages without a signature if they can be left in a safe place. I am not entirely happy with this as it is pretty much a judgement call as to what constitutes a 'safe' place, however it has never been a problem with the antiques I have hitherto shipped. If there are problems please let me know asap and I will address them.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

If they show up and leave you a delivery notice, you can sign something waiving signature..

Not if you live in an apartment. They've had too many packages disappear that way. They used to leave stuff with my neighbor, but she just moved.
Joalco
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did anyone else get an email from Ian saying the couriers had trouble finding your address yesterday, or I am the only unlucky one...?

Hopefully the couriers will have better luck today.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OKAY!!!
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try it you must.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Clown taste... good imagery. Makes me think of a sweaty drunken Bob Goldwaite in "Shakes the Clown", right after waking up off the bathroom floor at Florence Henderson's house...

Now, dammit, I must try this Emile 68!!!
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just got home from work and I'm glad to report that two bottles of E68 were waiting for me. I was gonna wait to taste it, but why? Might as well seize the moment...

In the bottle, the scent is sweet, floral and surprisingly non-alcoholic considering that it's 68°. I never take it neat, but I couldn't resist; the few drops on my tongue were warm, sweet and smooth, reminding me of liquid Good & Plenty.

The color was a pale amber that *slowly* developed a transparent, milky-white louche at 4-5 parts of very cold, iced water. (I firmly believe that ice is what separates us from monkeys.)

I used one cube of sugar and that may not have been necessary but, as I do have French blood coursing through my veins, I like it sweet. Most of my taste experience is with commercial brands and the E68 is definitely a different animal. To my uneducated palate, the anise is present, as it should be, but it's not up front; the wormwood is there, but not too bitter, and the after-taste has a snap that reminds you that it's 68°! I have Wolvie's blanche and verte and can taste the family resemblance with the E68 (except wolvie's has that clown taste!)

As I write this, I'm just finishing my first glass and it's knocking me on my ass, kinda bringing out the devil in me - hmmmm, there's a 9 year-old down the street that keeps her window open, maybe she wants to go for a drive... JUST KIDDING, RELAX!!!

When I have time, perhaps this weekend, I'm gonna taste the E68 next to wolvie's. I'm also expecting F.Guy and E45 from Markus any day now so this may be a wild weekend!!!
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A good strategy, Pikkle..

The Emile is very good, though. Since you like Kubler, you may actually find Emile as good or better. I think it's better, and I enjoy Kubler as well.

It also blows Francois Guy out of the water. No contest.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it's definitely not my favorite either... drink it in a pinch but I'm awaiting these Jade offerings before I start really judging anything else... as for now, i take what I can get and I get what I can take...
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dunno. But I wish it had wormwood in it. Not my favorite.

Or, maybe it's just you.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it just me or is the coriander in Oxygenee quite noticeable?
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a hard time identifying individual herbs, but I think Sebor contains quite a bit of fennel, which gives it its vegetal, bitter flavor. (Quick..somebody correct me..) I didn't get that from Un Emile. I think Pernod 68 tastes more like Sebor, albeit a smoother version.

So far, I've only tried one glass of Emile 68. Initially (and subject to significant change), I detected similarities between it and Betina's La Bleue #1, with a few notes reminiscent of Oxygenee. Having tried it, I re-read Ted's review, and find his impressions of Emile very close to mine.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page