Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 22, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » What to do, what to do..... » Archive through June 22, 2002 « Previous Next »

Tristan
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mayhaps I'm the only one, but I'm not sure how one would go about doing that.

Then again, I've been up for 27 hours now (stupid work) and am just a tad fuzzy.
Pataphysician
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's a Situationist idea for Urban Exploration that's easier to do: One of them explored a German city using a map of London as his guide.
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That sounds like a very cool idea... although certain cities would have it rough (espcially on the West Coast.. lol) but overall it sounds like it would be awesome.

There is a building here in Sac that used to be a Pony Express station, then numerous other things, and eventually a Mongolian BBQ place. Now it is being refurbished, but while it was here some friends of mine went in and said it was quite odd.... old and new, mixed in with cheezy asian decor and squatter spoor.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shazbot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=883843600
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Situationists called this "the derive" and began developing theories about "Psycho-geography" in the 1950's. One of their proposals was that cities should develop linearly: building in a westerly direction and abandoning the eastern sections as they went. This section would be left for nature to reclaim and would serve as an urban playground.
Silent_Rich
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

haha ... this used to be my hobby, Urban Exploration... till I moved to Pittsburgh ... I have a website up but it's quite defunct, most of the links are dead and what is there is only a portion of what we had, also the site began a makeover I had redesigned the entire look of the page then had a computer die and never bothered to finish ... I suppose I can post the link but what is there is terribly enbarassing. As this was about 3 years ago that I had been an active expolorer.

http://www.radiosilence.microphallus.com/

Buckhill Inn was our prize ... oh man, ezxcuse me while I get nostalgic ... maybe I'll try to get a little exploration in this summer, and hopefully finish redesigning the page and fixing all the dead links.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a very large abandoned hotel in Jackson called the King Edward. It is around 10 stories, has a flooded basement, a vault room with intact (but looted) safe, a pool, and other really strange things about. All in all neat old building. The only problem is the TB, pigeon droppings, and abundance of sharp rusted things, and dangerous crack heads. It seems, however they don't like going deep into the building as many of them think it is haunted (I know I have heard horrible stories of things happening in there)...

The great thing about Jackson (and probably the only good thing about it) is the fact that after 8 pm downtown is virtually empty except for janitors. We have literally scaled up 8 buildings downtown, and roamed throughout virtually all others. No one has yet to say anything. We actually walked right into one of the huge server rooms for BellSouth on accident one night... Thus in some ways all of downtown Jackson, after 1 am or so, is one big abandoned building...

- J
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice. I've seen a few websites devoted to the art of exploring abandoned buildings and such, including one site that was a chronicle of a man exploration of an abandoned Missle Silo.

I'll see if I can find the link.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

nah...Epicurus is a waste of time. I read Lovecraft for fun...that and climb buildings...

Here I am atop Lamar Life insurance building. It was constructed in 1925...

http://home.millsaps.edu/~beckea/lamar.jpg

Emperor Justinian

how did we get up there..ninja magic.

What does the clock inside look like?

clock of doom

nothing like I thought it would. It was pitch dark in there and I was really wanting to see some big gears and such...

and I don't have fun....

- J
Alphasoixante
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Epicurus was silly"

yes. as i put it, "good health." silly is wholesome, you big stoic sillyhead.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Epicurus was silly, and laertius was only good for what he wrote on Chrysippus and Zeno.

"this stuff is to be used in small doses as a last resort treatment for the profoundly ill."

Certainly not. I only quoted Sade as a joke (I do find him very funny)..but if you think I am a rabid Stoic now, you should have seen me a few years ago. Every other word out of my mouth was a quote from one of the masters. I even dismissed Seneca as being to liberal. Where some people saw "fetid" denial I saw a source of strength. The world is will and representation, and the stoics master both will and representation as essential matters of dogma.

I still enjoy it, although I am now synthesizing many stoic thought with hermetic things....it is interesting. Perhaps in a few years it will be presentable...

- J

"don't pretend you feel what I feel for you -
live illusion and i am real"

perhaps this is a dialogue betwixt Vanessa and I...and perhaps a Shoggoth will fly out of m.....
Alphasoixante
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Let us dare do violence to this unintelligible Nature, the better to master the art of enjoying her. - De Sade"

holy crap, chrysippus. perhaps you need some variety in your reading diet. sade's equation of enjoyment and rape and epictetus'advice to love universals over individuals--this stuff is to be used in small doses as a last resort treatment for the profoundly ill.

throw a little good health in: epicurus, rabelais or something. if you absolutely must read the stoics, at least stick with the less-fetid, more wholesome greek version (via diogenes laertius).
Mclion
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and the stars in the north and the stars in the south and the stars in the east and the stars in the west...

... Es gibt Stunden im Leben, da der Mensch mit verlausten Haar...

Holy Holy Holy
Chrysippvs
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and I quote, "Let us dare do violence to this unintelligible Nature, the better to master the art of enjoying her. - De Sade"

- J
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just ordered "hurting heaven" by a band called Chants of Maldoror... I think it will be perfect while drinking absinthe...

review by deathrock.com

Official Chants of Maldoror Italian web site
Tristan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Vanessa, my love.... I feel it's time I show you something..."

**zip**

thump. thump. squish.

"But my love, isn't it beautiful? Why do you run?"
Aion
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds almost painful!
Chrysippvs
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Now Justin, what is there going on between you
and Vanessa Carlton???"

Dreadful, eldritch things.

- J
Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, Absinthe and Lovecraft...

"No, actually ma'am, it's not the Absinthe that causes the insanity. What is it you ask? Well, sit, and I shall tell you a tale..."

I know very little of Lovecraft... but I know quite more than I should of the Sumerian/Cthulu mythos.

Creepy.
Aion
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now Justin, what is there going on between you
and Vanessa Carlton???
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

It's frightening that you know that, Blackjack.

Eh, among my friends, I'm a only a minor Lovecraft geek. My pal Ken made a pilgrimage to Providence to visit his grave and such.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Les Chants de Maldoror" Comte de Lautremont
Chrysippvs
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I suppose it is true, "When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live."

The stars are right and Ryleh is rumbling.

IA!

- J
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/06/13/bloop/index.html

Even now, they turn in their sleep.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep the infamous De Vermis Mysteriis isn't real but I love that name. I am going to write a book with arcane subject matter just to use the title.

Of all those books there is only one I cannot get my hands on and that is the Daemonolatreia in three volumes. I think Montague summers (of Malleus and Compendium Maleficarum fame) did a translation but I can't find it. I think it probably changed names and I have found atleast 2 alternates in English and German.

You know anywhere to find a copy Blackjack (or anyone else?) that isn't totally cost prohibitive.

It is great how the dark arts and cryptography were united so wonderfully in the middle ages.

Now if I could only use this stuff to get my hands on Vanessa Carlton. I can't believe I am reading the words,
"Nor is it to be thought, that man is either the oldest or the last of earth's masters, or that the common bulk of life and substance walks alone. The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen...They walk unseen and foul in lonely places where the Words have spoken and the Rites howled through at their Seasons. The wind gibbers with Their voices, and the earth mutters with Their consciousness... Their hand is at your throats, yet ye see Them not; and Their habitation is even one with your guarded threshold. Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once; They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They rule again."

And listening to "A Thousand Miles" on winamp..If you think I was a weird 12 year old, Chevalier, you should see me now..

- J

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page