Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe in Russia so far...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Absinthe in Russia so far... « Previous Next »

Nascentvirion
Posted on Saturday, July 6, 2002 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It could clean your fuel injectors !
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, July 6, 2002 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

. . . but it could be delightful and refreshing!

It could clean your drains!

It could . . . um . . . be a high-quality disinfectant!
Bjacques
Posted on Saturday, July 6, 2002 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Back in the good ole' U. S. of E....

I couldn't post earlier since I was staying at the house of a US government contractor forced to use SurfWatch and SEPULCHRITUDE.COM WAS BLOCKED!! You know, absinthe being a drug and all...

Hill's isn't the only game in town, but the situation seems nearly as dire. I found two other brands, neither of which I recognize (or are in the buyer's guide).

Xenta, a Spanish brand apparently, sells for 1015 rubles in St. Petersburg and 950 rubles in Moscow. At current exchange rates, that's $34 and $32, respectively. The other, which I saw in St. Petersburg only, is Czech, apparently, and just says "ABSINTHE" in a graceful script, on a tall, thin bluish label, on a tall, squarish bottle. It's about the same color as Hill's. It went for 850 rubles ($26).

I dutifully warned my hosts away from it.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Holy living fuck that looks like a paregoric bottle. Don't you turn into the Incredible Hulk if you drink that?
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the handy "Mad Dog" bottle.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I remember that vile creature well...
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

russian
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yer kidding. Please tell me you're kidding.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the czech brand 'absinthe king' also ships absinthe concentrate to russia , where it is mixed with alcohol and bottled...
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Russia's kinda cool, sorta laid back, but I'll have more maybe tomorrow or next week when I get back and have longer online.

Funnily enough, the Absinthe Drinker I saw is different from the one Kallisti shows in her gallery. The one in the Hermitage shows a bitter middle-aged (and alcohol-aged) woman, dressed in dark clothes and sitting at a table that has glass with a little green smear on it and next to it is a blue seltzer bottle. Kallisti's painting is a similar scene, but from the side and the drinker seems of indeterminate sex.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

With all the Hill's around in those Moscow clubs, you must be seeing plenty of hard faces.

Thanks for the report. What's your impression of Russia these days? (You may have to answer this in the Monkey Hole section.)
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...seems to be Hill's or nothing, based on my wildly unscientific survey of looking behind the bars of the one or two Moscow clubs I've been in this week.

nyeh kulturny.

But The Hermitage, in which I accidentally entered for free, has Picasso's 1901 "The Absinthe Drinker." That woman has a hard face. Must be the thujone...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page