Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 03, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Hogsmack » Archive through July 03, 2002 « Previous Next »

Aion
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

MD
What is the reason you want to make
your own homebrew?
Save money??
Forget it!!
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis,

What's the difference if you mascerate and then distill the herbs seperately as opposed to all at once? Wouldn't the control provided by being able to re-balance the final product be worth the effort? (at least on the scale I'm talking about)

If you consider that all I want to make is a liter or two at a time. The extra effort to distill the components of absinthe seperately would be preferable to making one bad batch of absinthe.

The parinoia here is amazing. If you think someone is coming to kick in your door for a modified coffee pot, you need to get out and vote a little more.

I remember some earlier threads where I was talking about a police state and not trusting the government. People treated me like I was some right wing UFO watching kook. Hmmm...
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My understanding of having rights restored after a felony conviction is that it's a lot more complicated than simply filling out a few forms. You have to go before a judge and petition the court to restore them. With lawyers fees and all this can cost several thousand dollars.

At least I know this is how it stands regarding firearms possession.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why take the risk ? Sure it sounds appealing and exciting, but the ATF kicking in the door and holding an assualt rifle to you and your familys head at 5:30 am really seems to lose all the adventure for me.

I think absinthe is a fine drink, but not worth going to prison for. I'm sure the hogsmack is nice, not being the hog in prison seems nicer.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It varies from state to state. Some of them disenfranchise felons permanently.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett,

Those in prison can not vote. Once out of prison, a felon can apply to have his voting rights restored. All the bitching and whining by Al Bore, Jesse and Fat Al (Sharpton) during the last election was a load of crap. They claimed that convicted felons are not allowed to vote. It seems that there are some lazy fucking felons who don't want to get off their asses and go and fill out a few forms to have their rights restored. They want it handed to them automatically when they walk out the front door of the big house.
Brett
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Forgive me, as I'm not up on U.S. Law, but can't those in prison vote? Or does being a "felon" specifically cause the loss of the right to vote? I had read an article somewhere during the Bush-Gore incident that it was ridiculous to allow prisoners the vote, and how can the government allow 'x'% of the population the vote when these people have lost all other rights due to prison terms.

Getting impatient for my reshipment from Markus... (I don't care if its only been 6 business days).
Mogan_David
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What can I say... It still seems a little strange to me that no one wants to talk about how to squeeze the juice from the fairy.

As to the legality, I looked it up and you guys are right. However I don't think these laws are very strictly enforced. I doubt there are very many prosecutors with their sights set on absinthe enthusiasts who want to make a liter or two every now and then for themselves or their friends. However if you are the extremely paranoid type I bet you could get a license for a still by making some for fuel.
http://www.webconx.com/ethanolusaregs.htm

I won't press the point anymore except to ask if anyone has tasted any of the distilled recipes posted here. I'm curious about what if anything is wrong with those concoctions.

I have a feeling that blending distillates of the various macerated herbs is the way to go.

Here's an interesting picture I found during my internet wanderings. It seems pretty simple and inexpensive. I figure that to stay out of trouble if anyone asks, I'll just tell them it's a bong.

bong
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"right answer!"

no prize, sorry.

geez. wasn't the juggs pictures enough?
Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does that mean "Round Over," or does it mean I won a prize?
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ding-ding-ding!
Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MD -

Home brewing wine and beer is legal in the U.S. These are not distilled, simply fermented.

To the best of my knowledge, distilling ANY quantity of beverage alcohol in the U.S. without a license is a felony. That means jail time, loss of any professional licenses (doctor, real estate agent, architect, what have you) and the right to vote . . .

It's a comparable crime in many other countries, as well.

Therefore, not too many people are willing to wave their hands and yell, "I DISTILL ALCOHOL ILLEGALLY AND HERE'S MY EMAIL ADDRESS!! COME AND GET ME, COPPERS!"

Conversely, buying a bottle of absinthe isn't illegal in the U.S., as far as anyone can tell. It's just illegal to SELL a bottle of absinthe in the U.S.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

it is not legal to produce on small scale for personal use. you cannot even buy new and up to date literature on the subject in the US.

I provide recipes & links for informational purposes only, and the recipes are dubious at best. Most people feel uncomfortable talking about participating in such a subject on a publically read forum.

No hard and fast rule, but generally, those who know don't tell.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can ask whatever you like.
I was just responding to your
question because you looked lonely
and well... I was too.

Please love me?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is weird.

Did you notice the links are broken?

(excuse me, one is broken)
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Daddy, you know full well what reading
R.A.W. did to me. Nice profile by the way.

(heehee-*blush*)
Mogan_David
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head,

Well, I guess I'm just dense here, but down in the FAQ for this board there are links to different recipies and even links to instructions for building a still.

So why are we being so uptight about discussing this topic? I didn't think distiling small quantities of alcohol for personal consumption was a crime. Even if it is, there is nothing wrong with talking about it. We are still free to have ideas and discuss them amongst each other.

Anyway, I'll be glad to abide by any rule on this board, but we come here to talk about our favorite drink it just seems weird that this topic would be taboo.
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This place is crawling with Narcs.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's illegal.
Mogan_David
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tinkerbell,

I know it must be one of those things that are clear as day once you see them, but I continue to miss whatever it is that is wrong with this question.

Anyway, sorry if I have broken some rule.

MD
Tinkerbell
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shouldn't someone more informed than I politely explain the protocol? I know it is all listed clearly in the "Forum Etiquette", but sometimes its a real pain to read the directions. Excuse my friends, MD, the fairy juice must be clouding their judgement. However, you should read the "Forum Etiquette" one more time.
Kite
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And no.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No.
Mogan_David
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone here care to discuss the finer points of homemade?

I''ve really got the bug and want to try to make my own absinthe.

It's a little funny how little actual recipies and processes are discussed here.

I've been considering distilling extracts of the main ingredients and then blending the results to fine tune the final product.

I'd like to hear from the experts here if you guys feel like talking a little "smack"

MD

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page