Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Out of curiosity...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Out of curiosity... « Previous Next »

Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I spent New Years Eve this year alone
(well sorta) eating a bunch of Beluga
Caviar on my own because my hostess got
sick on it(she didn't realise it at the
time). My truck had broken down and I was
by myself in her house singing old lang sing!

How sucky is that? I can't even spell the mother
fucker, let alone sing it with someone else on a
new years.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"caviar made with borax"

I hear Bettina will be offering this soon at $200 a pop.
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oddly, while absinthe is expressly forbidden on the website, there is no citation of the relevent statutes to support it. There are, in fact, no statutes related to absinthe at all, anywhere in the US Code or Code of Federal Regulations. The only thing you will find is a ban on wormwood as a food additive. While this alone is enough to make absinthe illegal to bring into the country, it is curious that they go to the trouble of specifying it on the web page, as opposed to, say, caviar made with borax, which falls into the same category.
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

U.S. Customs website has this to say:

Quote:

Prohibited or Restricted Goods
The importation of certain classes of merchandise is prohibited or restricted to protect community health, to preserve domestic plant and animal life, and for other reasons. Should you attempt to bring in merchandise that is prohibited by law, it will be seized and you may be liable for a personal penalty. Prohibited articles include: liquor-filled candies, absinthe, lottery tickets, narcotics and dangerous drugs, drug paraphernalia, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, hazardous articles (e.g. fireworks, dangerous toys, toxic or poisonous substances), products made by prison convicts or forced labor, and switchblade knives (the only exception is for a "one-armed traveler," in which case the blade must be no longer than three inches).

Merchandise that is prohibited from entry into the United States will be seized. Merchandise that is restricted from entry into the United States may be released after inspection by the Government agency that imposed the restrictions, or detained until the conditions attached to the restrictions are met. The importer of prohibited or restricted merchandise may be liable for a personal penalty, and the merchandise may be confiscated.

Don't let your boss bring back any of those scary liquor-filled candies or lottery tickets, either!!
Simon
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used to supply Betina with La Fee, but i must admit that if you're living in the States it does seem like you'll pay over the odds for something that isn't even that great anyway!
Spiritscorner and feeverte.de do seem to be the best options these days unless you're hunting for something a bit special.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

La Fee is robbery no matter the price... just deal with it!
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

At the only place I've seen it (Vintage Liquors, Old Compton St., Soho, London), it's 35 quid, or US$50. So $68.50 isn't too bad a markup. Shipping is always a bastard, though.

Since absinthe is explicitly forbidden according to the US customs site, your lawyer boss shouldn't carry it in, even if the only penalty is confiscation, since that's knowingly breaking the law.
Mclion
Posted on Saturday, July 6, 2002 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much for your compliments. You made my day!

Concering the availability of Absinthe in Germany I have to tell you: Hard to find! Appart from Tabu and Absinthus at Wallmart, or in these other big stores, but good quality is simply not available in shops! Folks here are too poor to buy a good Absinthe :-))

Sure it's not this way, but there are really only very very few shops carrying a good selection.

I suggest you place an order on Ian's site or Spiritscorner or not to forget on mine... We're all offering a good service, so you should have your order within a week. Now it's up to you to select something.

Markus
www.LaFeeVerte.de
Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, July 4, 2002 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you just want to try stuff... mostly Spanish stuff, that is, go Spirits Corner. If you order the right number of bottles, the price is more like $35 per bottle. At least it was last time I ordered.

$150 for La Fee is robbery. It's not an extremely high quality spirit. I think the street price in the UK is in the $20-30 neighborhood. Most of the Spanish stuff costs about $15 per bottle without shipping.

K.
Beckbjj
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> How do you get LaFee with easy availability and good prices in Wisconsin? I used to live in Madison, and it seemed just as unavailable there as it is here.
I see from the faq that eabsinthe ships here now, but their price with shipping comes out to $100 per bottle... <<

My recent order from eabsinthe not only got here blazingly fast (4 days!), but when I checked the credit card charge it was *less* than I expected it to be...I dunno, maybe something happened with the exchange rate. I got LaFee bottle and spoon, and the little mini kit as a gift for a friend, and with shipping all came to $90. I guess really by good prices I mean less than the $150 per bottle I've seen in a number of places, and even more from Betty.

I have visited Markus' site several times and it looks very good! Probably more indecision (a/k/a nice selection) than anything else that's kept me from ordering yet, but I will do so soon. I had heard (and had personal experience with) shipping from Germany being somewhat slow etc., but I have also read on this board that isn't a problem with Markus, which is a great encouragement. So, if ever I can make up my mind what to get first.... Decisions, decisions. :-)

Thanks again,

Becky
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I concur about Markus.. He's got terrific variety, good prices, friendly and responsive service and quick delivery (usually under a week). Both of my orders from eAbsinthe got here in less than a week.

The fastest is Ian for Un Emile 68. Both orders from him took two days to get here. Great stuff, too! One bottle: $85, two: $160.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

eAbsinthe.com does in fact ship to the US..and quite quickly, I might add.. The cost for two bottles of La Fee (including shipping) comes to 90 pounds, or about $137. ($68.50 per bottle). Not cheap, I know..but not as bad as $100.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd say check out Markus website. He has a great selection and good prices. His shipping is great to. I got mine in about a week.
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How do you get LaFee with easy availability and good prices in Wisconsin? I used to live in Madison, and it seemed just as unavailable there as it is here.

I see from the faq that eabsinthe ships here now, but their price with shipping comes out to $100 per bottle...

K.
Beckbjj
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, thanks to all for the info. I had been under the impression (from reading back posts here etc.) that about the worst customs would do was seize the merchandise and send you on your way. I take it that it's actually more serious than that!

It seems as if perhaps if she happened upon a liquor store that offered pack and ship service, that should be no different than my ordering it online (except for the fact that it would be her money...my birthday present from her), or am I wrong on this?

She's not the sort who would ever go searching high and low for something anyway, but since she always is willing to bring me back something (Ouzo from Greece, good Russian vodka, etc.), I just want to make sure that if I make the suggestion, it is an informed one.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Becky
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

wow, now I know.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

there are around 50 different commercial absinthes available in germany, although the easiest way to obtain them is on the net...most wine shops or grocery stores in major towns should have at least one, berlin having the biggest choice (along with absinthe bars)cologne might be a good bet...

>I'm just thinking it would be nice to save myself the shipping charges I currently pay (boss always buys me gifts when she travels, so she won't mind paying).
>Also, would it likely be preferable for her to have it shipped to me than to carry it with her?

why don't you just pick one off a german web-site, have your boss buy it for you and pretend she got it for you in germany?..it'll save alot of hassels,the choice will be much better, and she won't have to worry about being disbarred...
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just plain don't know...
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One more thing,

I did come home with some very fine schnaps. I would certainly recomend that you ask your boss to bring back Williams Christ pear schnaps. (Williams Christ is a type of pear not a brand of liquor)

MD
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Becky,

I'm no authority on liquor in Germany, but I was there in May. I was unable to find any absinthe at any of the liquor stores I tried. I may have just been unlucky and I only checked a couple of stores so who knows.

You might email Markus, who knows he might be able to help you out. Whether or not he can give you a lead on liquor stores in the area where your boss is going, I do recomend him highly for price selection and service.

MD
Beckbjj
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've been reading here quite a while, but haven't previously posted. I've been buying LaFee, mainly due to good reviews I've read, easy availability, and relatively decent prices. I must say I like it very much, but would like to try some others. I'm in the U.S., by the way.

My boss is about to leave for a European river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest on the Rhine. I might be able to convince her to snag me a bottle of absinthe while in Germany if it's not too complicated a thing (although she's a lawyer, so it might take some convincing..."Oh no boss, it's not illegal"). Anyway, is absinthe something that one can walk into any decent liquor store in Germany and buy? I'm just thinking it would be nice to save myself the shipping charges I currently pay (boss always buys me gifts when she travels, so she won't mind paying). The boat stops in Cologne, Koblenz, Rudesheim, Heidelberg, Miltenberg, Wurzburg, Rothenberg, Bamberg, Nuremberg, Regensburg, Passau, Melk, Durnstein, to name most of them. Anyone have any suggestions for places NOT off the beaten path where she might be able to procure for me?

Also, would it likely be preferable for her to have it shipped to me than to carry it with her? That is, would she get a customs hassle if she carried it? eabsinthe seems to have no trouble getting it here via post.

Finally, assuming that all of the above is possible (that she could easily purchase it and somehow get it back to me), any suggestions of brands I might enjoy that are easily available in Germany?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Becky

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page