Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 03, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Hogsmack » Archive through July 03, 2002 « Previous Next »

Admin
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

here!

http://www.lignu.com/cyberbilly/noodle/

everyone loves baby pictures.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MD,
You a gun bunny too?
Barsnake
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I never did think it wise to combine Alcohol with Tobacco and Firearms!
A sure recipe for disaster.
Or maybe just another night with pikkle...
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kalisti,

Thanks for pointing out just how evil and pervasive our government is. I never would have thought they would give a message board like this much attention.

However, now that I know they are monitoring this board, I'd like to make a quick statement to those murdering bastards.

ATF is what happens when you arm postal workers. Those child murdering cocksuckers deserve to be assfucked in hell by Satan's own thorny cock. I'd just like to raise my middle finger in a salute to our neo-gestapo defenders of government power and abuse.

MD
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

okay.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SSSCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!

This just in: I have just been informed that within the last month or so one of our own was indeed requested to attend upon the ATF to account for their actions. I'm sorry I can't give more info other than that things were apparently worked out satisfactorily.

And be assured, the info is accurate. The penalties are very real, and very dire.

We've long known that commercial producers, manufacturers & distributors lurk here and have used the info shared here in order to create and/or market their products. This illustrates that they are not the only one's watching.

I'm gonna have to be strict and formal about this.

To protect the safety & identity of those who post to this forum, henceforth there will be no discussion of home distilling on this forum. A formal edit to the FAQ & Etiquette will be done tonight.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ordinaire,

I sent the bottle to New York. Along with a note that said
"while I don't like Dr. O's, others may".
I did not badmouth the product.
I wanted other people to experience it objectively.
I don't know that much about homebrew. I genuinely
hoped to be proven wrong on the quality of your creation. Despite our rocky relationship, I would have loved to be able to say that I was wrong about your absinthe.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle:

I did not send a sample of Dr. O's to New York.

So, how do you know that what you tasted and Dr. O's are one and the same?
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Raschied,

No need to tell me to fear the government and particularly the ATF. I'm the right wing gun nut remember?

I've read about Ruby Ridge and actually been to Mt Carmel.

It's just that there are certain risks that I'm willing to take as a free person. Maybe that will cause me trouble some day, but if you live your imprisoned by fear you may as well put yourself in a cage.

Besides compared to some other projects I've attempted in the past (hydroponic er.. gardening) this one is pretty tame.

MD
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OOOO Great idea! Just pour it into and on the turkey and have Roast Turkey Flambe!

Actually, it's because most of the spices would be used for preparing your turkey.
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

trainer,

I'm just curious as to why this is a Thanksgiving drink. Am I supposed to soak the turkey in it, put it on a spoon and set it alight?

MD
Raschied
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

MD - people here have a right to be paranoid. If home stills are a felony, then you can bet the ATF has someone watching. Anything that might get the ATF interested is something to be paranoid about.

Anyone who is interested should check out http://elfie.org/~croaker/batfabus.html#INDEX
or other sites.

Scary.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett -

Don't forget, a lot of people in prison are there on misdemeanor charges. They DO still have the right to vote.

Artemis -

I enjoyed reading your last bundle of posts to MD. They were most informative.

(I left out the real estate/vehicle/etc. issue; I wasn't sure if it applied to distillation or just drug dealing.)

MD -

Just for fun, why don't you have an easy-to-prepare, Thujone-tastic Thanksgiving cocktail? I like to call it Weird Turkey:

Steep equal parts (or other quantities to suit your taste) sage, tansy, tarragon, and mint in Everclear (or Bacardi 151).

Toss in a little white cedar (Thuja occidentalis) for that woodsy flavor, if you like. If you scorch the cedar, it might taste smoky. It might also taste like charcoal.

Since you won't be distilling it, don't use the Artemisias, as it will be bitter and nasty instead of having that great Thanksgiving dinner flavor.

After six weeks, strain through a coffee filter.

Dilute with . . . um . . . white grape juice or a white wine of your choice. If you used the Bacardi, I'd recommend a dry wine so your teeth don't just rot away before your very eyes.

The spices (and the cedar) are all good thujone sources . . . and doesn't it sound DEEEEE-LISH! The perfect accompaniment to the turkey.

HECK NO I haven't tried it. I'm like Martha Stewart . . . I have OTHER people try these things first.

Proving that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing,

D
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett,
About my earlier post on the felon voting thing, I shoulda said that it was for Florida! We had a BIG stink about that here after the election. Regardless, rights CAN be restored. You may just have to go to federal court to do it AND spend $$$$!
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"And it looks like they're distilling dog vomit."

LMAO

Seriously, Thanks a lot for the advice.

MD
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis,

"If you want stomach muscles, buy one of those situp machines.

Yeah my spelling sucks, and I'm too lazy to use the spell checker sometimes.

"In all seriousness, and with respect accorded to you as a homebrewer (something I have done for many years) you have every chance of doing it yourself. But your chance of getting people to tell you how to do it IN THIS SPACE is pretty close to zero. If you believe nothing else I tell you, believe that. "

Actually I believe everything you've told me. Often times things that seem to make sense theoretically fall apart in the execution. I am also very sure that you are correct about my chances for help with this little project from the forum.

The one thing I don't believe is that fear of the ATF is keeping people from discussing recipes and procedures for making absinthe. Whatever the reason no one wants to talk, it's a little sad that they don't.

I certainly respect the experience and knowledge of people like you. I know the learning didn't come easy for anyone trying to craft brew absinthe.

I still plan on giving this a shot and I'll probably start by trying to extract the essences of the various herbs involved. It might not make absinthe, but at least I'll get some distilling experience under my belt and learn something of the characteristics of the herbs used in absinthe.

I'm curious about what you think of the little coffee pot still I posted earlier. I'm considering a design similar to that but using a double boiler technique.

MD
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O's... not since the delightfully horrid Star's O'Plenty that Head and I shared (and that he subsequently deserted at my abode) have I tasted anything quite so industrial. Mind you I work in such chemicals all day long and I would put it up against any of our cleaning agents or waste pickle liquors any day of the week. I think I did manage to have a better go of it than most of our party comrades but this may be due to the resistance I've built up over the years having been in the employ of one of the more toxic industries for some time. All in all, I've tasted worse but this was in part due to an inadvertant dunking into a vat of 190 degree HCL during one of many steel making debacles...
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is also the risk of burning down your house, and third degree burns.
Why ask for trouble
Zman7
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang doesn't brew absinthe. He gets it from his friend "Moonman."
If you are serious about making your own, just buy the herbal oil constituents from a health food store, and add them to some Everclear, then water it down to 70%. Viola, no distilling, no aTf, and you will have a product with all the taste and charm of Deva.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

mogan,

Dr. O successfully brews homemade?!
Pay attention.
Dr. O's absinthe is not absinthe. Its an herbal/alcohol concoction that has more in common with battery acid than absinthe.

and what's tojune?
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

"you're delusional."

Tojune will do that to you.

Seriously though I don't understand the fuss. Folks like Wolfgang, Dr O and many others here seem to be successfully brewing homemade. I don't see why I can't have a reasonable chance of brewing some abs myself.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

mogan,

you're delusional.
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aion,

No, I don't think I would be saving any money. I just like doing things like this. I have been brewing beer for over ten years now, this would be just another extension of that hobby.

I'm intrigued by the alchemy of absinthe. Also, I figure if I'm ever going to experience absinthe that's anywhere close to what the artists drank in the bell epoch I'm going to have to make it myself. It seems that modern absinthes are all sweet, the wrong color, too diluted etc.

It's very doubtfull that I'll be successful in recreating a pre-ban pernod, but one thing is certain, I'll make absinthe the way I like absinthe. I don't know what that final product will be like, but there is only one way to find out.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page