Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 03, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe & Collectibles Archive thru January 2003 » NYC GT (Play by Play the un-natural way) » Archive through July 03, 2002 « Previous Next »

Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Please don't tell me someone Teabagged the Pikkle...

More like EVERYONE teabagged Pikkle.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll have more pics to post upon returning from this fine fine town... how quaint it is... and a picture is worth a thousand words... so beware!
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh no, it was more like the other way around...
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Please don't tell me someone Teabagged the Pikkle...

...AND DIDN'T GET PICTURES!!!!
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, just a bit before I leave...

I took notes but lost the paper somehow on my way back to Montreal. There was so many absinthes to taste that I was pretty trashed at the end, even if I only poured tiny doses (except for Nephelim's 27, of which I had a second full glass because it was so delicious).

''Kubler, Francois Guy and Un Emile 68°.
How were they, Wolfgang? ''

Kubler : Bad, worst than the Moonman's tails... (taste like burned peanut oil)

F.Guy : Excellent for a commercial absinthe. lack a bit of punch due to the low alcohol but it's now my favorite commercial brand. It is complex and refreshing.

Emile68 : (correction to Bunny's words) I didn't say it's made of bad alcohol, I said the alcohol was too prominent. Neat it smells of strong alcohol. The color is IMO wrong and the taste is *star anis*. It is strange because the louche is weak but it does taste of it. Positive point : it is distilled for sure. It is a quality product even if it's not very complex but I don't really like it.

My favorite NYC GT green absinthe : Nephilim's 27

My favorite blanche : Betty #2

Bigest surprise : most people liking the experimental Moonman's mint absinthe (If I knew, I would have bring a bigger bottle, I have lot's of it over here !).

Yes, Dr.O's was bad, it was the classic exemple of a beginner's error. I also thing it's an old sample. He probably do better now. I'll say to his defence that the smell of the neat absinthe was not bad. If it was not for the coloration errors, it would have been good. It was educational for many people. I knew what to expect but tasted it because I just had to ;-).

I crawled back to my hotel, walking on clouds, looked through the window at the Empire state building and the surounding *huge* city all around and I felt complete. For once I felt I was at the right place. Damn is it huge and amazing! What a city of contrasts !
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Teabagged!
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

chocolate from those donuts
Squishy.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If that wasn't black magic marker on my face... then what was it???????
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

WOW! He's like the wind... WHOOOSH!!!

(there goes Col. Flag)
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, just a short note to say I`ll be posting reviews after my vacation. I came back from NY at 3am this morning and I`m going back elsewhere tomorrow morning for two weeks so I don`t have time to post more for now.

It was very nice meeting you guys and drinking so many fine absinthes.

Ciao!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevvy,
Wolfgang was actually taking tasting notes, but at one point proclaimed himself so drunk he wouldn't be able to read them later.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like it was a blast...Wish I could've attended.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't speak accurately for either of them, but I do remember neither Wolfgang nor Nephilim were impressed Emile 68, chiefly because they said it tasted like the manufacturers used cheap alcohol. I remember both Wolfgang and Nephilim liking Francois Guy quite a bit, and they both made funny faces when they tried Kubler.

Whatever, I love E. 68. I can imagine from a hogsmackers point of view though that it may taste a little off. One has to remember that to produce what many of these hogsmackers do on a large scale may be cost prohibitive for a commercial distiller. They're making a few litres, wheras the manufacturers of Emile have to make a few thousand litres. That being said, I would be a happy chappy if Nephilims excellent product could be mass produced, but my judgement isn't so impaired from miss fairy that I believe that could ever happen. Lucky for us, Nephilim was a very generous fellow! His was an education in a bottle.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Once Wolfgang logs in, I'll hold him to his promise to give a review of Kubler, Francois Guy and Un Emile 68°.

How were they, Wolfgang?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not to be outdone, Moonman's buddy from the land of ice, snow and backbacon brought some lovely, tasty, full flavored, delicious, aromatic, tastebud janglin' goodies his own self. I'll leave it to him to explain exactly what they were once he checks in here. To put it in simple terms: they were fuckin' great.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, I go down to open the door, and as I turn the corner into the entry hall, I see Tavvy outside. I go to open the door anyway, and there is another figure as well, well dressed in black, a Cheshire cat grin curling his lips.
-Hey, how are ya? And you are?
-You are Louched Liver?
-Yep.
-Kallisti sent me, I'm The Nephilim.
I was told we would be having a mystery guest. And this is a dandy.
We go up to the party, introductions are made. You can see it in the faces of those who have been around for a while when Ol' Nephie's name tumbles out. A blank, then incredulity, then a widening smile.
Neph reaches into a satchel with both hands.
-And I brought these-for you-to share.
And pulls out 2 full size bottles of hogsmack. Not the usual smacker's divvy up of 8-12 ozs.
My, my, my! What a night this is turning out to be.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Endlessly amusing:
Watching the involuntary "Oh shit, I might puke!" face sneak up on folks when they tried Dr. O's battery acid in a bottle.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, Pikkle and I wanna try the Emile 68. We each pour a little, in little glasses. I get the kitchen sink dripping just so, just right, and put my glass under to fill 'er up. Pikkle and I chat, along comes Wolfgang, neither moves the glass nor the spigot and turns it on high.
LL:
-Whoa! Shit man! That's my drink!
-Oh, you must like eet w/lots of wahtahr.
-Well, I do now. Haven't you ever seen a New York drip fountain?
Tortainglese
Posted on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I WANT MORE! I WANT MORE I WANT MORE I WANT MORE I WANT MORE I WANT MORE I WANT MORE!

next time I will bring the exalted Rudi Cat now that I know the Pikkle won't eat him.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey louchie, keep 'em rollin'... i'll need it to fill in the gaps in my ... uummmmm... memory... wait a minute think i just heard wolfgang walk by my hotel room *** jumps up, wireless keyboard bounces off floor (i hope they don't make me pay for it) , fumbles with dead bolt, opens door, pokes head outside *** must have been a flash back
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another golden memory from Sat:
Wolfgang was fashionably late to arrive, so when the intros went went around there were about 15 people to meet. You could see him trying intently to remember each and every name. He turned then to the lineup of hootch and one in particular caught his eye.
-Nephilim's #8. I have heard of him!
LL:
-You are standing right next to him. You sure as fuck paid attention during the introductions.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes...I just walked in to view the awesome pics. What a blast!

Trainer, I will do my best on a proper time...maybe I should consult "the Erudite" before coming up with an ideal date.

Oh I just quiver at the sight of the PBR shirt...what a find for the reticent collector!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And of course, Absinthesque's lovely bride, Patricia. Anyone who lets a slobbering troglydite like myself take a drink out of their glass is a fucking saint.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Man oh man, I do so love that shot of all that fuckin' absinthe! Awesome!

And I have to say that Wolfgang's woman is one of the sweetest people you would ever meet.

And speaking of sweethearts, Torty just hit me on my celly to invite me to dinner. Unfortunately, I'm here in Allentown. If only I'd known!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, me and 2ly are meeting @ Rudy's Bar and Grill, right there in Hell's Kitchen by the apartment. I'd e-mailed him and asked if he's seen my gruesome visage posted here. Not getting a response, I guess the answer is yes.
I get to Rudy's, folks are smashed and happy as usual, I'm on time for a change, I look around as I order my beer. Who could be my man 2ly? I can eliminate many who aren't. Shit, mebbe he ain't here yet. 15 minutes pass, then 20. Well, it was worth a shot.
My celly rings.
-Hello?
-Is this Louchie?
-Yeah, who's this?
-It's Carl.
-I'm at the bar man.
-unintelligible
-Hold on.
I step outside.
2ly:
-Are you in the front of the bar, or back?
-Well, I'm outside now.
-I'm in the bar. What do you look like?
-I'll be the tall, skinny bald guy walking in the door-right now.
-I gotcha!
And there is 2ly, on the payphone in the back of the bar.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page