Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

A very nitpicky question about antiqu...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » A very nitpicky question about antique absinthe spoons & holders « Previous Next »

Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I forgot! We’re talking about THE FRENCH. “Pairsonnal ‘aigeen? Wat eez zis barbaireeque concepte?”
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>Try to remember, those were the days
when waiters made no bones about licking
their finger tips, coughing in their fists,
rubbing their noses and then touching your food.

Oh wait, they still do that.

i watched a dry-cleaner in paris smoking while he pressed my clothes...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course the high alcohol content would
help kill any germs as well.

(I sound almost, human!)
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

this picture was taken around 1925, i imagine after the big war, no one really cared if someone's fingers were a little dirty...it helped replace the lost, earthy taste of absinthe...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

An antique photo, yes?
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with you, Head. I just think that, trowel-up, slotted spoons were in danger of becoming *snotted* spoons.
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1920spoon
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Without having a defntive answer I'd say

Form indicates UP
Funtion indicates DOWN

Just a (rare) opinion.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm ...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

eep! No sopa for me!
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know I do.

Wait, that raises another question: in the cafés, who would take the spoons out of the vase? The waiters, the drinkers, or both? If the drinkers did, I'd be surprised if the spoons were presented to them trowel-up. Remember, a fair number of women drank absinthe in cafés. And you know how the ladies are about hygiene ....
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try to remember, those were the days
when waiters made no bones about licking
their finger tips, coughing in their fists,
rubbing their noses and then touching your food.

Oh wait, they still do that.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For your consideration ... I have what could be the most nitpicky, arcane absinthe spoon question ever. Here it is:

A century ago, in the cafés, how were absinthe spoons placed in the "comptoire" absinthe spoon-holder vases? Were the spoons placed with their handles sticking up, or with their trowels sticking up? In modern photos of collections, the spoons always seem to be displayed trowel-up, which is esthetically pleasing. But imagine: displayed this way in a café, the spoons could only be removed from the vase by grabbing the trowel part with the fingers. Seems a very unhygienic way to do it. Could it be that cafés in fact stored the spoons with their handles sticking up and out of the vases, so that patrons and waiters could pull the spoons out by their handles?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page