Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Nyquil...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Nyquil... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 07, 2002Perruche_Verte25 7-7-02  9:20 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never seen the elephant but I have the stuffed bat. And hey, I didnt wait for Gorey to die to love him. I have a lot of his books and miscellenea but never thought if it was worth anything.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn.....I wonder if I should sell my orig. Gorey Lobby Card from the Dracula Broadway production........I guess it's like Jimi Hendrix once said: "People love you when you are dead".
Jay
Emileguysmiley
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm later to the thread, and I don't know about getting an Edward Gorey tatoo, but I do have the Amphigory books. I've always wanted to get one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1549276234 but they're really expensive. The stuffed bats are cheaper but not as cute. Has anybody ever seen one of his stuffed elephants?
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Marc,

Your buddy Andrew W K was on Conan tonight. Of course, he played his "She is Beautiful" song.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 9, 2002 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BADDD ASSSS FLYING MONKEYS in bell hop unis!!!
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Grease... Grease is the word, is the time, is the place!!!!!!!!
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mmm. Mmmm hmmm.

I gots ta write me a story. Gonna do it soon's I git a word processin applicashun on this here thinkin machine.

Wicked witch will be leading a resistance movement against the tyranny of the Wizard and the Good Witches. She and her green soldiers, her peeps if thou will, are bein opressed, repressed, supressed, and depressed by The Man.

Now, before I do- this seems an obvious idea. Can anyone think of any stories that have done this so far? Cause if they did, I don't think I ought.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always thought that about Francis "Goo-Goo"
Hymen. Every time we hit a ball over into her
yard "bye bye". She had a big box with all of
our balls collected in the garage. (we once
creepy crawled into her yard and found the box
and retrieved all of our balls from the previous
4 years or so).
Anatomist
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Lynch may have already gone there: WILD AT HEART is a big WIZARD allegory, or at least is loaded with references. I never bothered to work out the correlations in detail when I liked the film. Now I'm sure I won't.

Even though Dorothy may have extracted a moral from the experience that it isn't necessary to go to magical, wondrous places, the film itself is pretty unabashedly in favor of the journey. It's partially lost on me, though, as I like black and white better than color.

Here's one for you: do the events surrounding the character of the Wizard actually amount to a metaphorical polemic against the authority or existence of God?

Is Dorothy going to kill Miss Almira Gulch now that she's back in Kansas, or be justified in so doing? Speaking of shitty moral lessons, Miss Gulch is pissed because Dorothy is an irresponsible dog owner: Toto has been tormenting the neighbor's cat, destroying other people's gardens, and even biting people (Miss Gulch). All Gulch wants to do is take the dog to the authorities to protect herself and her property. For this, she is characterized as an evil witch by the film and Dorothy is allowed to kill her without punishment or significant remorse. Let's review: carelessly shit all over other people's property and personal safety. If they complain or stand up for themselves, they are evil - kill them!

K.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's your own private Idaho, Rabid!
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Watched an abbreviated version of the Wizard of Oz tonight- no Ding Dong the Witch is Dead for chrissakes- and wow.

I never realized what a dark, terrible thing the WOZ is.

Consider this line- "A heart is not measured by how much love is in it, but by who loves the bearer" (loosely paraphrased.) Jesus! Fuck! Bad!

Or the central message- sure, you can go to magical, wonderous places. But you really shouldn't. You should stay home. Dorothy says, when the good witch asks what she learned, that if her heart's desire isn't in her own backyard, then that means she never really lost it.

So she shouldn't look???

Wicked witch killed. Rightful inheritance of sister witch stolen by Glinda, placed on feet of Dorothy. Wicked witch attempts to kill Dorothy- Glinda knows this is coming, doesn't give a shit.

Wizard says 'yeah, I'll give ya what ya want, if you bring me the wicked witch's broom. Sends them into certain death so they wont find out he is a cheap huckster and not a wizard.

It makes me want to do an art installation: A weed choked, litter strewn yellow brick road, with a little chalk outline of some slain munchkin.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Andrew WK sounds much stupider than Wesley Willis. At least Willis has years of homelessness and mental illness as an excuse."

My point exactly...

- J
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Upon arrival at the Cavity Club I notice numerous people running out of the front door. Dispatch had prior advised me that a fight was in progress and that a white male was on stage nude and was defecating."

When I first saw the picture on the link of Andrew, I thought of G.G. Allin or maybe even "El Duce" - HA HA...Aside from Pain, I don't think there was ever any meaninful substance to the lyrics of G.G. Allin or The Mentors.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and yes, I do want that furniture... I've finally moved back into the living room, curtains and all... it's functional, just have to run to Lowe's to grab a couple more things... anyone want a couple of couches?
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dream until your dreams hit me baby one more time!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is funny, isn't it?
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Funny, I seem to remember Aerosmith playing with Britney Spears at the super bowl.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dream on...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Either way, they're both bad.

Now Aerosmith... they rock the
mullet to the ground!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page