Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 03, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » FORUM EFFLUVIA! » Archive through July 03, 2002 « Previous Next »

Bunnylebowski
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No mistake made Lord H.

One little joke about the Puritans originating in your homeland to fuel the culture bashing, and I get a hail storm of "I know more than you you ignoramus writing out of your ass" love.

Big man with a big gun from a big stupid state and no one cares.

Hey, jesting is just fine with me. :)
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bunny,

"If he was being sincere though, then I say his opinion is absolutely meaningless and not even worth the effort of a "fuck you"."

My opinion exactly. That's why I said "fuck you" to him. If I have made a mistake in saying "fuck you" to him then I have over-estimated him.

A lot of posts on this forum are made in jest. People get bored and engage in a little sport now and then.

Hobgoblin
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Except Catholicism."

Be more exact: you mean, "except the Catholic Irish." Quite right. But this had little to do with tolerance as a religious virtue, and much to do with an innate, despicably English disdain for Ireland.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Silly is all relative... the last time at the family reunion, Silly embarassed himself once again... we can't tell Silly not to come though, it just wouldn't be right. I remember one time, Silly and I were at the lake and grandma yelled out "come and get it" and boy, did Silly get it... grandma was never the same.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oliver's army is here to stay
Oliver's army are on their way
And I would rather be anywhere else
But here today

-Elvis C.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Oliver Cromwell, that great Puritan-in-Power, was rather impressive in his advocacy of tolerance for different religions..."

Except Catholicism.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You're silly.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and what a great cooking oil too!
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist has a point about Puritanism. Oliver Cromwell, that great Puritan-in-Power, was rather impressive in his advocacy of tolerance for different religions and modes of thought, especially during the English Civil War and the first half of his "reign". (Like Washington, Cromwell refused the title of king.)

That said, the Puritans in America were a more severe breed than their English cousins. They showed an odd mix of free thought on some subjects and intolerance regarding others. Much like Americans today, in fact.

There's an excellent chapter on Puritanism "as it really was" in historian Jacques Barzun's book, "From Dawn to Decadence : 500 Years of Western Cultural Life, 1500 to the Present". You can get it cheap at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060175869/102-8717488-4152952
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now you're gettin it. Those guys in you profile picture are definitely in Texas. Look at the size of those glasses.

K.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm...Scotland, Texas - Paris, Texas - Naples, Texas - Athens, Texas...Oh yes there it is...London, Texas and Liverpool, Texas!

I guess it is part of Texas.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Reading The Crucible and The Scarlet Letter in high school is hardly an adequate historical education. The Salem witch trials were a brief fit of hysteria that swept through Puritan Mass over the course of about 1 year. The total number killed was around 25. While one is too many, consider the historical context - over the course of the preceeding hundred years or so, between 50,000 and 100,000 were executed as witches in Europe, by non-Puritan sects.

If you want to get a sense of what the Puritans were really about, first of all, you'd have to actually find out something about them besides cartoonish heresay. Secondly, you would have to take stock of how they lived and the society they founded in relation to where they came from, and what others were doing at the time. The fact that your virtually groundless imaginings about them fail to live up to your contemporary, emotive, and no doubt equally well-informed personal ideas of how people should live now doesn't amount to much of a criticism.

One question: have you actually devised a way of typing out of your asshole, or is that just a clever internet illusion?

K.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nevermind Hobgoblin, you were right.
Witchburning, all black buckle hat wearing Puritans are free thinking? RIGHT!
See theres this book called the Scarlet Letter, and this play called The Crucible.... Ah, nevermind.

Tag, you're it.

And when does this thread get moved to the monkey hole?
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

B,

Not only have you got no game, you just outed yourself as a complete ignoramus. England didn't export Puritans - they fled to avoid persecution. Puritans - including Quakers, Congregationalists, and Presbyterians - are among the most liberal, civil, and free-thinking sects of Christianity ever, and many of the ideas and attitudes of Puritanism are the foundational bedrock of our country.

"...the way we speak of Puritans seems to me a serviceable model for important aspects of the phenomenon we call Puritanism. Very simply, it is a great example of our collective eagerness to disparage without knowledge or information about the thing disparaged, when the reward is the pleasure of sharing an attitude one knows is socially approved."

-'Puritans and Prigs', Mariilynne Robinson

K.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I still resent the Brits for exporting the Puritans.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I looked at a map, and I guess England is part of Texas after all. It's hard to tell, being on the other side of that Atlantic pond and all. I seem to recall that's where we sent all the lilly livers that was ascared of snakes and too pussy to fight in the Texas Revolution. I think we may have sent some of them long hairs up that way in the sixties, on account of they weren't manly enough to eat home growed beef. That must be why the Goblin fella is always puling about the MacDonalds... I prefer to grill em up at home over mesquite myself, but a DQ Belt-Buster with extra jalapenas and mustard will do when I'm in town.

K.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's like a game of tag, culture slamming tag.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Funny, I thought anatomist was speaking toungue in cheek because I didn't think anybody with half a brain would say what he did sincerely, so I assumed it was in jest. If he was being sincere though, then I say his opinion is absolutely meaningless and not even worth the effort of a "fuck you".
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fuck you anatomist, you dust swallowing descendant of a bastard son born as a result of an unfortunate union between a pox-ridden Comanche Indian whore and a syphillitic Texas Ranger. Dehydration as a result of all that hot Texas sun seems to have damaged your brain. If you are in possession of a Webster's dictionary then I suggest you share it with your fellow Texans as dictionaries are a rare commodity in the Lone Star State. Who did you borrow the 'dictionary' from? George Bush?

Hobgoblin
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

it's a good hangover though.
:)
God save the Queen.
Oxygenee
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

....er....still a little hungover are we, Grumpylebowski?
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Mother England"?????
Um, NO! Remember how the tea baggers lost? I love England, but saying "Mother England" is so irrelevant and idiotically left field you might as well be waving around a confederate flag. I don't really agree with Anatomist much either, but shit, if you're going to insult somebody, at least get the state right he lives in, and get your history right too!
Anatomist
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As far as 'mother England' goes... whose mother? I'd say the pasty milksops up there hardly even qualify as mother-fuckers. They ain't got no sun, not much in the way of dental care or dietary nutrients... hell, I'd say England isn't really even part of Texas. I've lived in some of the farthest reaches of Texas, myself. For a while, I was up in the northeastern corner - up in the Massachusetts territory. If you ask me, people up there were a little funny. Now I'm down here in the far southeast of Texas. I guess they call it the Florida province, or something like that. England or South Africa though, I'm pretty sure these places aren't part of Texas at all. This worries me. Via internet, I can't get a bead on you with my .357 or even see whether you're smiling when you talk that funny sissy British talk. This here computer may be more trouble than it's worth...

K.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As scintil(oops)ating and yes "amusing" as this is...

( I thought STUNK was pure genius)

I have to retire to my nappy sack.
Please continue. I'm dying to know
how it ends.
Anatomist
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always edit and proofread - it's the difference between writing and puking.

K.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page