Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 08, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Los Angeles based Director » Archive through July 08, 2002 « Previous Next »

Pikkle
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you're gonna go for that sort of sensationalized pseudo-realism, rent "Dog Eat Dog." Now that's some good clean faux-docu-fun!!!
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't seen CH (though now it sounds delightful), but did rent BW when it came out on video . . .

My thoughts? (You KNOW you want to hear.) Interesting idea. Didn't know it had been done before.

I can understand why people felt nauseous in the theater. They weren't afraid, it was the constant shaking of the cameras causing motion sickness.

I thought the actors played their parts well, assuming they were to be scared, unscripted 20-ish kids who aren't particularly eloquent.

The tent-shaking didn't scare me. The sticks in the woods looked like they'd make nifty holiday decorations. The ending didn't shock me.

The best part? Talking to people who actually BELIEVED THE HYPE and thought the movie was REAL.

"It was just a movie, ya know."

"NO NO NO it was REAL! THEY DISAPPEARED!"

"Um, I saw the chick on Leno talking about the making of the movie."

"BUT IT WAS REAL!"

"She was on Leno AFTER it was released."

"Uh . . ."

HI-LARIOUS!

Now, has anyone seen Parasite? It stars my buddy David Gaffney. It was shot in 1995, but finally released to DVD recently (never made it to the theater). David tells me it's HORRIBLE in the most amusing of ways.

I MUST see it!
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I still have nightmares about BW...not the movie, but that damned chick WHINING constantly. Boo hoo hoo, I'm so afraid because I just heard a twig snap.

I am huge on old horror and even cheesy flix, but BW was not at all shocking or even intelligent to me...I hate when I can predict every 5 seconds of a movie.

Some good recommended Horror: http://www.necrophagia.com/rechorror.html
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BW also worked well for me because I have been camping near Burkittsville.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

TEXAS CHAINSAW has very little gore. It works because of Tobe Hooper's ability to create a very creepy atmosphere and unrelenting tension.

Granted, but I thought it was a useful comparison based on the two totally different approaches to fictionalizing Ed Gien.

The funny thing about TCM is that I remember it being much gorier than it was.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I suppose they are quite ideologically different, but I'm still convinced the directors for BW got the idea from CH.

Well, the original idea for BW was to create something on the order of what became the Sci Fi channel promotional "documentary". They hadn't intended for the entire film to be composed of the "recovered" footage, but when they were done filming, they discovered they had more than enough footage, and that it provided enough narrative flow (tho many disagree) to stand alone as a film.

There were also many people who claimed BW was a rip-off of THE LAST BROADCAST, but when the filmakers were confronted with these charges, their reply was a very credible "huh?" since they had never seen CH or TLB.

Now, obviously, the pre-existance of TLB and CH show that the idea behind BW was not so groundbreaking or novel, but I don't think it has to be in order to be an entertaining film.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, and I loved it. Takashi Miike has directed over 50 films, and I've heard Audition is like sleepless in seattle compared to his other work. What's brilliant about Audition is how sympathetic he makes the main character, and how he methodically sets him up for unbelievable horrors.

"kitty kitty kitty kitty"! I'll never call a cat like that again!!!

you can get his other work here: www.kimsvideo.com
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have any of you seen AUDITION?
Very disturbing.

Later today I am going to launch another film forum. I think we need one. Hopefully, we can stay on topic.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You do have a point BJ, about Blair Witch being a suspense film and CH being a gorefest. What's scary about BW is what's not shown, and what's scary about CH is what IS shown. I suppose they are quite ideologically different, but I'm still convinced the directors for BW got the idea from CH.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What I find terrifying about CH is not the cannibals, but the hiddeous people the documentarians turn into, raping and shooting everything inferior to them. They are very different films ideologically, but the idea behind the plot, or gimmick (fake documentary), is the same. Perhaps the filmmakers of BW weren't aware of CH, but they were avid horror buffs, so I'd be surprised if they were truly ignorant of one of the most controversial films of their own genre.

I do see how BW could be terrifying, and I did find the moment when they found the sticks bound together in the woods rather scary. Fear is a personally subjective issue, and maybe BW was objectively terrifying, but I find films with well thought out spooky action and cinematography (I.E. the Changeling) scarier than a bunch of kids running through the dark screaming "oh fuck oh shit oh fuck".
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

black,

comparing CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST to TEXAS CHAINSAW
doesn't make much sense either. CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST
totally depends on gore to shock or tittilate.
The plot, acting, editing etc. sucks. TEXAS CHAINSAW has very little gore. It works because of
Tobe Hooper's ability to create a very creepy atmosphere and unrelenting tension. Plus, his casting was inspired. What a collection of freaky inbreeds. Brilliant.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also like BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. The ending is
genuinely chilling.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blair Witch didn't "steal" the idea from CH. They were totally unaware theat CH existed, and the final form of BW was totally seperate from their original intentions anyway. CH and BW, while sharing some surface similarities, have totally different tones and focus. CH was, at its core, a gorefest, while BW was a suspense film. It's like comparing Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Psycho (and I LIKE TCM!).

I enjoyed BW. A lot. I found it tight and very cleverly assembled. I particularly enjoyed their multi-media approach to the storytelling, with the film being only part of a larger mythos expanded upon via their website and the "In Search Of"-style documentary.
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Maybe I could film myself taking a dump and make millions..."

Forest Dump
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is a cheesy fun gore flick.
But, it certainly ain't "terrifying".
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blair Witch project stole the idea from Cannibal Holocaust, which is far more terrifying. Cannibal Holocaust is the exact same idea, except the camera crew goes into the jungle in search of cannibals instead of into the woods in search of a witch. Both crews end up dead and their footage is discovered. CH, however, is far more graphic and creative and skillful. I was more frightened by the fake blair witch documentary on the Discovery channel to hype the film than I was afraid of anything in the movie at all.

Blair Witch is bubblegum with a bunch of dumbass unskilled kids who are lousy improvisers who can't think of what to say, and so they just keep repeating the same phrases over and over again. It's the natural result of all this "reality" television trend which has stolen the imagination out of television and film. Rod Serling would throw himself out a window were he alive today to see the mediocrity of "reality" TV and Cinema.
Cinema should be calculated. Blair Witch was spontaneous diarrhea.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd definitely go to see that!
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blair Witch was horrible. All the media hype was unfounded and I was bored from start to finish.

Maybe I could film myself taking a dump and make millions...I'd like that better.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, Sundance sucks too... if I were to make a movie, I'd purposely refuse to screen it there... fuck them in their hoity toity bungeroos!!!
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scott would agree with you.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blair Witch SUCKED!!!
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2002 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone know indie writer/director Scott King? Did TREASURE ISLAND (as in San Francisco Bay's Treasure Island) several years back. Had the bad luck of being shown at Sundance at the same time as BLAIR WITCH. Guess what stole the show?

http://www.kingpix.com/films/ti/index.html
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, July 6, 2002 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

You are right...Jim has been back and forth here working on music videos for various "friends" bands...some big names, some not so big. I was the location scout for his latest video...it's not out yet either, but we just watched the second to last cut tonight. One of his music videos had it's debut last week on MTV2.

Charlie's Family is about 99% done, but, the money ran out...He is still trying to release it. I have seen it and it's quite good...and eerie!
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, July 6, 2002 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jim Van Bebber hasn't made a movie in several years. "Charlie's Family", a film about the Manson Family, has never been released, though the screenplay has been published. Its a movie I'd really like to see.

Free Manson!
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, July 6, 2002 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey all you LA "Underground"

Is anyone out there familiar with an acquaintance of mine named Jim VanBebber?

He directed movies such as Deadbeat at Dawn, Charlie's Family, No Second Chances, etc. I was just watching some of his fine work tonight and decided to inquire within.

If not...look him up...this is some quality "Drive-in" movie work that deserves the Monkey Hole!!!! Especially after the Green Fairy arrives.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page