Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Un Emile 68 on sale in London

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Un Emile 68 on sale in London « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I never heard it before, I just figgered it out on my own. :)
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Snitch.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I bet I can do the same, but only if I turn the bottle over and fill the bottom with Segarra.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I guess no one's playing... (figured Ian knew this one already)

But I'm still not telling how it's done.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll bet you the cost of my next order that I can drink a straight shot of absinthe (after Jarry) from a bottle of Emile 68 -- without opening it.
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

in european bars, it is the only thing with a decent quality/quantity/price ratio...draft, that is...
Mr_Green_Teeth
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll be sure to never drink anything but beer when I am overseas.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

See, what we need to do is all have our own webpages espousing the truth and debunking the myths, link them all together and have them ultimately lead here where we can really have at em! Fight fire with fire... or fire retardant materials!
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why, oh, why do we ever think it will be different than this? Let's face it, we're the flowers in the dustbin. A very large dustbin filled with shit.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm suddenly very depressed.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"... if you supply a product that's mainly water, ethanol and food coloring, you can throw free cases of it around at will ..."

Or WORSE.

http://www.absintheliquor.com/absinte_for_bars.htm

AND ...

http://www.absintheliquor.com/absinthe_instructions.htm
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Reading this board is a daily reminder of the high regard for quality in the liquor industry.

I suppose if you supply a product that's mainly water, ethanol and food coloring, you can throw free cases of it around at will.

If this man wanted to serve a single malt scotch from a small independent distillery, would he expect a free case of that, too?
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Amazing ...
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going on how they serve Hill's, for £6 or £7 a 25-ml shot as I recall, that is the standard price around the West end. Then you can buy a bottle of mineral water for £3 to dilute it if you want...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"... he would have made £200 a bottle ..."

Ian, how would this scoundrel's cocktail bar serve the drink? Mixed with water 1:4? About how much absinthe (in cl) per drink? I'm trying to figure out the retail price per glass.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Certainly, I'm guessing maybe half would have gone as stock on which he would have made £200 a bottle at the 'going rate' straight into his pocket, then six bottles for the party to celebrate the scam. Nice earner.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, essentially, the bar owner was asking you for a bribe. Screw him. You can give him this fountain free, with my compliments:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2120794709
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just discovered why most London bars serve shitty absinthe. I got a call from the owner of a well known london cocktail bar who asked for a case of Un Emile. Nice one I thought and dropped in to discuss the details. "Well I expect some free stock" says the owner. "Er yes, like what?" I asked, thinking maybe a few spoons and glasses. "a case", he says without batting an eye. Right, a case, excuse me for laughing my ass off as I leave. So that explains why Hills is so popular, they just give the stuff away.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Call it "Abscal." Ooh... now that would difinitely pique the curiosity of the authorities, peyote worms and wormwood... heh, I'm so damn clever...

"How's that working out for you?"
"What's that?"
"Being clever."
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>How much is it in Mexican pesos?

we are going to put a worm ('ver' in french)
in the bottom of the bottle of the next batch for the mexican market and call it 'versinthe'...
oh, wait a minute... shit, shit...
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rock over London. Rock on, Pontarlier.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How much is it in Mexican pesos?
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If any of the UK members are in the Soho area they can now purchase a bottle of Un Emile 68 at The Vintage House, 42 Old Compton Street (it is about 100 yards down from Gerry's).

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page