Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Revised tasting notes on Oxygenée

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Revised tasting notes on Oxygenée « Previous Next »

Tavarua
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why stop there?
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, especially when you're selling all of your living room furniture to get at it...
Tavarua
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm telling you, opiates make that shit work. Fuck a suger cube, just put a oxy on the spoon and drizzle water over. The secondaries rock.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was too drunk to notice this possible similarity between F.Guy and Serpis and anyway I really didn't want a glass of Serpis that night to compare but the taste is probably bitter oranges peels and it can be overly tasted in Campari bitter too. I'll have to re-taste F.Guy while sober to corectly identify it. I think I still have some Serpis gathering dust at the back of the cabinet so I'll be able to compare side by side if I ever get a damn bottle !

I remember that F.Guy was way smoother (and better IMO) than Serpis.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now Oxycontin, that's got some kick to it!
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

(Sigh) I've tried so hard to like it, but I'm throwing in the towel. After sampling it many times, Oxygenee and I have agreed to disagree. I find it weak both in flavor and texture.

Now, having said that, it was a real hit at that tasting I hosted a little while ago, probably tying for second place with Francois Guy. (Emile 68 received the most praise that night).
Tavarua
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I only tried Oxy once and I was already pretty sauced, but I have to say that it stood out. Given, the color takes some getting used to, but it was a contendor.
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No. Read again.. Francois Guy and Serpis taste alike (at least to Cheri and myself). Emile and Serpis taste nothing alike (IMHO).
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Serpis and Emile similar in taste? Taste the Emile first, THEN taste the Serpis. Serpis has a way of burning the tasting ability of your tongue......
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Our tastebuds were separated at birth.
Cheri
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you! Thank you! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who noticed the similarity in tastes! I wish I could pinpoint what that taste was but have trouble describing it. I want to say a citron like taste..almost a hint of orange? But rather a woody orange.. cedar orange? Whatever it is, I immediately thought of Serpis when tasting F. Guy.
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way, the favorites at this tasting were Emile 68, Francois Guy and Kubler. The LEAST appreciated among the group were NS70 (which I still like), Mari Mayans (feh) and Oxygenee.
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah.. In fact, I held an absinthe tasting at my home a couple of weeks ago, and two of my guests detected strong similarity between Serpis and Francois Guy. Like Cheri, I thought I was crazy, too, but after several comparisons, my original opinion holds..

There's an herb common to Serpis and F. Guy, which my unsophisticated palate can't identify, but it's prominent in both, and I think it's what contributes to the "woody" flavor.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

?!
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes! Francois Guy and Serpis taste very much alike. F. Guy is a little smoother, though. I noticed it the first time I tasted Guy and was very surprised.
Cheri
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, you can all tell me I'm crazy, but I think that Francois Guy tastes a lot like Serpis..

And I love Oxygenee, it's.. it's.. well, refreshing!

And Kuber seems to coat my tongue! Has anyone else noticed this?
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes... you are, now go do the species a favor and end the blood line right here! Or pick cherries for a living... there's some place for everyone!
Brett
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, well... I couldn't really think of the words to describe it.

I'm just dumb.
Jdm
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"As far as Oxygenée vs. F. Guy, I really enjoy both and have been able to drink Oxy immediately after F. Guy and I think they have distinctly different tastes."

riiiiiight...i guess that explains why i don't like it.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh my god, how fucking astute...
Brett
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I find Olde English far more stomachable than say Colt 45.

As far as Oxygenée vs. F. Guy, I really enjoy both and have been able to drink Oxy immediately after F. Guy and I think they have distinctly different tastes.
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Old English? Why are you drinking cologne?
Jdm
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i think i would rather drink deva again than finish my bottle. after living on segarra and f. guy, i decided to open the bottle of oxygenee and was very disappointed and almost disgusted. it tastes like friggin' lemonade. i tried it again a week or so later and felt the same. this might be my least fav. in fact, anyone live in the san diego area here? i'll sell you a nearly full bottle if you are interested.
Brett
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, to be honest that first forty of Olde English made me want to spew. But now, I don't even notice the gasoline in it.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You know, I used to say the same thing about Blatz... the first couple used to gag me, but then after that cheap buzz hits, they all taste good...
Brett
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, I'm on my fourth glass of Oxygenée since receiving the bottle, and I must admit I'm liking it much better than the first two glasses. (The first glass was actually prepared by my fiancé and was intended for her, thus had less absinthe and more water than I prefer -she found it too bitter).

Louche: still rather disappointing, but not as bad as I originally thought. It still looks like a less vibrant Old Way (clear green to opaque milky green).

Smell: I defintely smell the candy of Kallisti's review. Very pleasant, very different from anything else I've had. I don't smell any overwhelming amount of any anise.

Taste: Bitter, but not unpleasant. I can taste the anise, and the candy smell seems to carry over somewhat into the taste. (It something words cannot describe, just a feeling). Considerably more 'herbal' than either Mari Mayans or N.S., but not so overwhelmingly herbal as Old Way.

Secondary effects: Impossible to say. It's quarter after one and I'm tired and rather hungry. Not an unpleasant feeling after two glasses, much better than say Absente, Mari Mayans or even N.S.

In conclusion, I would buy this again. But then, I've not yet ordered Emilé 68 or had a chance to try any Jade product. I like, and whether it is a true absinthe or not is beyond the point. While I don't have much to compare it to, its better than anything else I've tried with the exception of the Francois Guy.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page