Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Film Forum

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » Film Forum « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 18, 2002Marccampbell25 7-18-02  1:05 am
Archive through July 18, 2002Admin25 7-18-02  7:45 pm
Archive through July 19, 2002Pikkle25 7-19-02  6:20 pm
Archive through July 20, 2002Marccampbell25 7-20-02  5:00 pm
Archive through July 21, 2002Pataphysician25 7-21-02  12:49 pm
Archive through September 07, 2002Raschied25 9-7-02  1:21 pm
Archive through September 11, 2002Barsnake25 9-11-02  12:40 pm
Archive through September 11, 2002Crowlyman25 9-11-02  7:07 pm
Archive through September 12, 2002Barsnake25 9-12-02  8:34 am
Archive through September 12, 2002Sebrown00025 9-12-02  9:05 pm
Archive through September 13, 2002Sadie25 9-13-02  3:51 pm
Archive through September 14, 2002Marantz25 9-14-02  2:25 pm
Archive through September 17, 2002Marccampbell25 9-17-02  12:09 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Shayne
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob, on of my favs which falls into that idea is of course Bucket of Blood.
Billyweeds
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I want to post to the discussion "Movies So Bad They're Good" but there is no box to post in at the bottom of the thread. What gives?
Bob_Chong
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wish that the DVD releases of his movies contained even more outtakes. I've seen the Tap (yes, I know Reiner directed, but it is at least partially a Guest movie) and Best In Show outtakes, and they were great. But I got the sense that they were cut from the movie (i.e., edited out of a rough cut). What I'd like to see is the, presumably, countless hours of idiotic stuff that didn't even make the rough cut. Given the improv style of filmmaking, I gotta think that they must've filmed hours more than what they've shown us.
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Christopher Guest is a fucking genius. Is there a better American director of comedies alive today?
Bob_Chong
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MC:

Along those same lines, I'd say Chris Guest's movies are also improv plays.
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The films of John Cassavetes were basically filmed improvisational plays. Mike Leigh's films also focus primarily on dialogue and acting.
In a film, unlike a play, a director can limit what the audience sees. Watching a play the audience is allowed to make its own choices about where to direct their attention. Of course, in a play, a good actor can draw the audience's attention toward him/her, can steal a scene.
This happens in movies too, but a director of film certainly has more control over the audience. And in film there is editing. With editing, a director can further fine tune what the audience sees. My point: even a filmed play
has cinematic elements that live theater does not.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"just theater + camera"

Since the thread where this idea orginated has now been closed, I thought I'd bring it up here.

What movies are, in fact, theater + camera and work that way? Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is pretty damn close (it was adapted from Albee's play). I can think of one great example from TV: All in the Family. Any others?

"It allows for...more subtlety of acting style"

True, but this can also hide acting flaws of the less talented. On the flipside, many great stage actors make wonderful screen actors (e.g., Branagh). IMO, the stage is more demanding of an actor's skill, and therefore he will often develop his skills more...whereas the camera might make someone lazy.

Talking out of my ass,
BC
Melgib
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marantz -- LMAO!!
Barsnake
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah - well, yer mudder!
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hrm, I think I've answered that already:

Quote:

By Admin on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:11 am: Edit

I think the thing is Marantz, when we first switched over to having new msgs at the top, forumites realized on average they check the board 23478 times a day, so it is quite useful to have the latest msgs at the top, rather than having to scroll all the way to the bottom to read a single msg. Honest, you'll get used to it and it will seem second nature in no time.

This has been the way the forum has been run for years, *by request* of the forumites ... I can't keep changing the very basic format everytime one or two new people get whingy about it.
Marantz
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Boy oh boy oh boy.
robe now. Boy are you in trouble.
I'm going for my Fuscia
use it.
And I'm not afraid to
art of Fu Kip Ooyay.
black belt in the secret martial
I'm warning you barsnake I'm a
Joalco
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can't be done.

*Shouldn't* be done.
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Like every other forum and written work in the civilized world."

Civilized? You tryin' to civilize this crowd?
Barsnake
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti -
We've been nice to Marc's visitors.
Marc has attempted to impose manners and decorum from his invitees.
This guy is getting tedious - can we have at him yet?
Marantz
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

admin, is there any particular reason why the answer is 'no'?
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Way to go, Kallisti. I hope your work with the Cerrito goes better than ours with the Uptown.

On the upside, I have a magnificent art deco theatre about 15 minutes from me, the Pickwick in Park Ridge. The community has really rallied around it to keep it from closing its doors. They've added a small-screen art theatre and have live performances on the main stage, in addition to the usual fare of discounted second-run movies.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

speaking of saving theaters, look what we did!

this wee gem is 3 blocks from my house, and no one even knew it was there for the past 40 years ... and I grew up near here.

http://www.cerritotheater.com/

when I heard about the project I joined up. and the good news now is that it has a chance of being run by the same folks who run this place: The Parkway Speakeasy Theater

and I took this last spring, their restoring the glorious old fox in downtown oakland

Fox Oakland

Marantz: boy. we have had our fair share of curmudgeons around here, but geez. give it a break. the answer is still "no"

don't worry, we love our curmudgeons just the way they are. we don't want 'em to change, just know when to put a sock in it (insert winky smile here).
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Uptown here is weeks away from being beyond help. It has suffered a lot of structural damage in the years it has been shuttered and The Friends of the Uptown are $1 million short of what they need to buy the place. I'm afraid the wrecking ball is in its future.
Marantz
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

poker, the Uptown Theatre in my city has been a bowling alley for over 30 years. It was a great old palace too. Stars in the ceiling.
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd like to add a category called ENTERTAINMENT NEWS (gossip, upcoming film festivals, special showings on cable or in theatres, causes and other information of interest [like saving the Uptown Theatre from destruction])
Joalco
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc ~

It's a good idea -- we should run with it.

Marantz ~

You're risking the whip! It would be nice, and a much easier read. Perhaps we should beg Kallisti.
Marantz
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Marc's idea.

I have an idea also; Why don't we get this forum to read from top to bottom? Like every other forum and written work in the civilized world.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page