Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What is this?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » What is this? « Previous Next »

Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

nothing with the word 'quina' was absinthe...
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quina Marra...

Is (or was) this Absinthe?
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> a better product than regular versinthe, a little too heavy on the badiane, as usual...la bleue-esque...

this was answered on the first response...
the thujone claim is valid (as to the amount of thujone in it)

>...30mg/thujone, 'cause they use real absinthe in the mix, but don't distill at the end (actually the regular versinthe is distilled as a base>

also answered in the first response...
Denial
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

so nobody answered the original question..
has anybody tried the new Absinthe La Blanche that SC has just gotten in... i'm curious as to how valid it's "thujone contents" claim is...
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ahhh... I understand fully! I was not looking at it from the "personal experience" side of things. *grovel* Sorry.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Talking about a commercial product is fine but backing what someone say with some kind of personal experience may lead in the gray zone...

Anyway I just forgot about it and didn`t waste more time on the subject for now.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Wolfgang!

I just re-read the forums' new law and I don't think it applies here. It's not like you are telling us how to make the stuff ourselves! If anything, we are engaging in a general discussion about an exisisting (legal)commercial production process.

Kallisti, input??
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then they probably make it cryptic on purpose. It reminds me those emails I exchanged with a guy from the distillery and the commercial rep. In Canada. They where not telling the same speach at all and it was full of contradictions.

Maybe something interesting will come out of this distillery one day, especially if the French law give a slack to absinthe. As you can see I didn't intent to badmouth those guys, I was just commenting about this very unclear paper. It is my opinion they should keep their methods secret, never talk about it and just let their products speak for themselves. I'm sure Versinthe could be very amazing if it was processed the right way (fully distilled and then colored properly) and un-sweetened.

I just read it very fast before going to work. I'll check again later and will email you more technical details about my understanding of this paper. Sorry for the others, I must abide to the new forum's law...
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

those papers were handed to me by pascal rolland himself, when i was at 'liquoristerie de provence' which is near aix-en-provence...i don't doubt they know what they're doing, marc villacèque got his training by being a perfume maker, has a copy of duplais, samples of every herb under the sun and many many modern bottles of anis and/or absinthe, and has tasted vintage with phiL and ian...it's trying to explain how they make it that makes it confusing, since he distills, and then blends afterwards regular versinthe, and it seems that he distills versinthe for the la blanche, but does he add stuff to it afterwards, or what? my french and techno-speak wasn't good enough when i talked to him...it is a very nice place, and the two guys are the nicest people you could want to meet...and they do make quality products...the 'la blanche' is better than regular versinthe, however, it was made for the thujone-aware crowd...their new brochure even shows a small glass of the la blanche with a spoon
holding a burning sugarcube over it...i told them they needed to make sure it was at SC, that was in early may...there are very few retailers who sell versinthe in paris that even know the 'la blanche' exists...they're making a chocolate infused with versinthe, too...but the anis taste is very light...
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got it.

According to what I can understand of their weasel words, I think they first make their own herbal extracts and mix it later with alcohol to make Versinthe. It's clear that distillation is involved somewhere in the process but it is not clear if they use it at the right time.

The idea to use a vacuum still is interesting.

They say the blanche is the exact same recipe as Versinthe but that they just distilled it at the end. Duh !

...And later on they say there's 4 time more wormwood in la blanche because of this process !?!? Hahaha.

And it goes on like that from contradictions to erronous statements...

This text is all contradictions and non-sense. It looks like it's been writen by someone who don't know what he's talking about. They don't even know how to lie properly. It's unbelievable. Where did you got it ?

For the record, Versinthe is sickly sweet and taste like a quality *oil mix*. Moonman already did this "extra step" of distilling some Versinthe to get a dry blanche and the result was drinkable but disappointing. He did it on a very small scale doo and didn't took great care in the process of this funny experiment so maybe it's possible to do it better. Maybe if one day he have nothing better to do will he give it another try just for fun.

I hope the SAQ will also carry the blanche so I could try it just to satisfy my curiosity without paying huge shipping.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I liked the blanche from licoriste ... I'll revisit it eventually and give a review.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

wolfgang, i'm e-mailing you versinthe's press releases and info kit (it's all in french) and you can try to explain it...
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way if someone can do it amongst us, please contact me privately and I will provide the test samples with a little extra of the good tasting one for your enjoyment.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are you sure they don't distill at the end ? If they put any amount of a.absinthium in there and don't distill, it must be undrinkable.

I think they just gives numbers like that assuming all the thujone in the plant ends up in the bottle, which may or may not be missleading. To my knowledge, only one person around here would know for sure but won't tell at least for now.

I'm still trying to find some bio-chemistry student around here who's able to operate the necessary equipment to accurately test this assumption (testing at least twice before and after distillation). I have found too of them but unfortunately they had no idea how to do this test. I'm affraid I'll have to take the risk to contact some university teachers directly and hope they are interested in the outcome at least from a scientifical point of view.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

versinthe, i believe...'amer' aux plantes d'absinthe...30mg/thujone, 'cause they use real absinthe in the mix, but don't distill at the end (actually the regular versinthe is distilled as a base)... a better product than regular versinthe, a little too heavy on the badiane, as usual...la bleue-esque...
Cheri
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is Absinthe La Blanche? that SC is now carrying?

Tasting Notes: This is the first absinthe with a very high thujone level (about 30 mg says the producer) with a genuine absinthe taste. Intense presence of anis that balances ou the absinthe bitterness. Very enjoyable, and very strong. To be drunk in a moderate way.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page