Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 18, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » FILM FORUM » Archive through July 18, 2002 « Previous Next »

Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm drinking.

It seems any attempt at maintaining an intelligent
conversation around here is sabotaged by idiots who seem to have no interest in anything other than their own verbal diarrhea.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

this isn't fair ... I can't tell which one of you is drinking.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yup...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

boring.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Go back to your cheap wine you fucking hippy!!!
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I intensely disliked BLACK HAWK DOWN. It was like watching a video game. I didn't give a shit about any of the characters.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes... you are very correct!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of the better movies I've seen lately was Black Hawk Down. That movie was action packed, although it was tough seeing Ewan Mcgregor trying to speak like an American. Still a really good movie. The helicopter scenes are some of the best since Apocolypse Now.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Franju's EYES WITHOUT A FACE is one of the most hauntingly beautiful black and white films ever made. He also filmed a very disturbing documentary on the horse slaughterhouses of Paris called BLOOD OF THE BEASTS.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm more interested in the cinematography of that 1910's period, though. The story doesn't interest me as much. (Although the storyline in "Les Vampires" is phenomenal). They do some amazing camerawork, probably because they couldn't think of an easier way, or because there just weren't any established conventions.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

JUDEX was remade in the '60s by George Franju. Franju's version is darker. Franju's JUDEX is available from Something Weird Video.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, "Fantomas" and "Judex" were two similar serials that were also made by Louis Feuillade. I don't think they're available, though. "Les Vampires" is available on DVD. About $70, but, hey, it IS seven hours long!
Barsnake
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mrs. Barsnake & I always seem to rent movies that have a common theme, accidentally, of course. This last weekend was no different.
First we watched Monster's Ball then The Royal Tennenbaums...seemingly no connection, right.
But as the Mrs. contemplated - they both had in common wildly dysfunctional families and an inter-racial love affair.
Then we watched From Hell and blew our whole theory...
Bjacques
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow! There's supposed to be a film or six of Fantomas, a super-villain invented by inspired hacks Marcus Allain and Pierre Souvestre. He was everywhere and behind everything, sort of like Dr. Mabuse.

The Museum of Fine Arts at Houston had a series in the early 90s, on the Lumiere brothers (set to music by Brian Eno and Harold Budd). Besides their films about the moon and their ghost comedy "The Inn Where No Man Sleeps," the brothers made a lot of documentary shorts--races, street scenes and the demolition of a buildong by two guys with sledgehammers.
Tinkerbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". All the movie is missing is Absinthe. I had flashbacks just watching it. Duke and Gonzo go to Las Vegas for a business "trip" fueled by a suitcase full of mind-bending pharmaceuticals. Based on the book by Hunter S. Thompson. Classic!!
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How'd you manage to get pics of all my exes? Yer good...
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

oops

Les Vampires
Les Vampires
Les Vampires
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

see above
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The greatest thing I've seen lately is "Les Vampires" filmed in Paris in 1915. It's an episodic story -- 7 hours long -- that is way too complicated to relate here, except to say that it's not about vampires, that's just the name of the criminal gang in this detective story. The plot and action are outrageous -- way over the top. The film itself is really something to watch because it has none of the technical cliches that developed later. A lot of it was filmed outside and it's amazing to see what Paris really looked like at the end of the Belle Epoch. And it stars the ravishing Musidora as the anti-hero.

There's a plot summary here:

http://www.mdle.com/ClassicFilms/HotTips/hottip75.htm

Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ROAD TO PERDITION
is terrific filmmaking. Its a riff on American
outlaw archetypes from pulp westerns to the gangster flicks of the 30s, a noir tone poem that
reminded me of Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
and Eastwood's HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER. With a bit of
BONNIE AND CLYDE and Altman's THIEVES LIKE US.
Done in an in-your-face graphic novel style. Conrad Hall's cinematography is stunning. Jude Law
is brilliant. And Hanks is more than good.
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Film Forum? Ok, my fav is "Doctor Zhivago," so there!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Um ,I'm watching Raiders of the Lost Ark !
Admin
Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

indeed! I've read a bunch of their letters. they are extraordinary ...
Pataphysician
Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I went out with a woman who was researching their letters to each other. One that stuck in my mind was James writing to Nora: "I could pick out your fart in a room full of farting women."
Admin
Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

since Marc isn't here to, I'll start ....

a dvd rental that I never saw hit the theaters out here tho I was vaguely aware they were doing the film. Based on the biography of Nora Barnacle "NORA" ... the life time mistress and muse of James Joyce. I read the biography in my early 20's as I have a penchant at trying to discover my heroes thru those they are sleeping with. The biography was a revelation to me, and the movie does it justice. Ewan McGregor and Susan Lynch are inspirational as the mad couple bucking tradition in turn of the century Dublin, as they flee to Italy to set up house. here, here I say for an honest portrait of the perils and pains of true love. it ain't pretty. and it is down right refreshing how raunchy they were.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page