Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

An experiment to rival Slerpis . . . ...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe & Collectibles Archive thru January 2003 » An experiment to rival Slerpis . . . Serpicider! « Previous Next »

Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

just saw this...

>And is it difficult and expensives to get the proper licence to become a distiller ?

très...
les gamins, n'essayez pas c'est chez vous!
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The nice thing about being born in my generation is that you can (or could, up until about a year ago) make a living just by not being afraid of computers. The '90's were a great time to be a freak. You could have half a pound of metal in your face and green hair and still make $50k doing almost nothing for a dotcom. Damn shame somebody realized that you actually need a profit model...

I really have no capitalist instict. I look at some of the crap people sell on eBay, and I realize I could pull down all sorts of cash, but somehow it just doesn't appeal to me. I mean, at least when I'm goofing off at work, I'm bilking a major corporation.

I think one of the main reasons I'm considering going back to school is that I don't know what I'd do with all the money they give me if I didn't have crippling debt. I mean, I'm already spending money on swords, old car parts and obscure beverages...
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

black,

I gotta earn a living and I hate working for somebody else. So, I've developed good instincts when it comes to making money on my own. I've gone from having bucks to being piss poor. Overall, I've been lucky. I'm pretty good at having the right idea at the right time.
Did I ever tell you that I started a company in Boulder, Colo. that went on to make millions. Its called Celestial Seasonings. I sold my half of the business to my partner at the time. I was 21 years old. I sold it to him for $150, enough to buy a tipi.
I strapped the tipi to the roof of my Volkswagen and moved to Gunnison, Colo. I lived off the land, literally. Picked fruit off of trees and caught fish with my bare hands. Selling Celestial Seasonings for $150 was not one of my smartest decisions.
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc has a capitalist streak! Heh.

(You know I luv 'im...}
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm about half way through a Serpis, Bombay Sapphire gin and lime juice. It's PRETTY. Swirly.

Um, and those spoons may be neat, but Emile really doesn't need a touch of sugar.

Swirly.

Trader Joe's has good burritos...
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a friend in Texas who made a fortune selling old Levis to the Japanese. He set up little stands on street corners all over Texas where he would pay cowboys $5 for their used Levi jeans. The Japanese will also spend top dollar for used t-shirts with the logos of American companies, sports teams etc. on them. I have a friend from Greece, Paul the Greek, who retired at the age 0f 40 from the profits he made selling used American t-shirts to Japanese teenagers.
Boutique owners in Tokyo would advance him thousands of dollars to go out find them used t-shirts in the States. He wasn't even risking his own money.

There was a time in the late '70s when you could find warehouses full of vintage goodies. Alot of punks and new wavers were getting into '60s fashions around that time ala Blondie, B52s, The Jam etc. Fashions that no one wanted a few years earlier were suddenly desireable. I found a warehouse in Ohio with 1000s of womens white go go boots. I bought em for nothing. Sold them to hotshit boutiques like Fiorucci and Trash And Vaudeville. Lived off the profits for a year.
Aside from the sunglasses,one of my biggest and best scores was buying up several 1000 dozen neckties from the '50 and early '60s. You know the real skinny ones. New wavers and punkers dug those fucking ties. I paid 3 bucks a dozen and turned around and sold them for $36 a dozen, which was still cheap at $3 a tie. I also found a warehouse full of Scandinavian nudie magazines from the early '60s. These were pseudo artistic and back to nature style mags. You know, shots of big brested Nordic broads inside of painters' lofts or throwing volley balls around on a beach
or campground. I still have tons of them. Along with decks of vintage nudie playing cards. Ahh, those were the days when I was a kid with a dollar and a dream.
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You were way ahead of your time there... I dabbled in it momentarily, having hooked up with one of the more prominant (if that can be said) dealers in Ann Arbor. He broke me into the trade. He had a small shop here but did a lot of mail order business and East/West coast shows. Unfortunately some of his best pieces were kept by his wife who couldn't seperate the business aspect from the personal and soon enough he had an entire apartment filled with prized vintage pieces and no way to pay the rent. By the late 80's it was getting near to impossible to find any kind of new vintage stock that was worthwhile but one of the more interesting places that stands out in my mind was a shoe store in Detroit called of all things, "Shoe Fair." It maintained half ass new stock but the owner, one of those "never get rid of it because it might come back into style" types had thousands of pairs of French and Italian platform shoes from the seventies. Round about '91 or so, this was coming back into vogue. The beauty of this situation was he was selling all these pairs for a dollar a piece. We'd go in, whisk away fifty or sixty pair at a time and sell them to vintage stores all around the area for twelve or fifteen bucks a pair. They thought they were getting the deal! My best score was probably the time I inadvertantly ran into a pole barn sale... the owner, some old fellow had passed away and left to his kids an entire pole barn filled with old Levi's and Popular Science/Mechanics magazines from the 1920's to the 1950's. The magazines were a dime a piece, the Levi's were fifty cents a piece and I swear there were hundreds of pairs. You say okay, Levi's, so what? Well, back before '68 or so, Levi's were dyed with true indigo and the little orange label read LEVI with a capitol E instead of the currently used small e. In the early nineties, the Japanese, in another of their numerous American fad obsessions were buying up all the vintage Levi's they could, especially the big "E" Levi's. A pair in decent shape could fetch three or four hundred dollars there. I had a connection in Chicago who sold to some Japanese dealers and paid me seventy-five bucks a pop for any big "E" Levi I could get him. Well, I fucked up... short of cash after having come across this gold mine, I grabbed a few dozen pair and swore I'd be back the next day. The next day, everything was gone...
That was the extent of my glory vintage days and with the exception of scouring the occasional flea market (swap meet) I'm pretty much out of it.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

pikkle,

you would love the nightclub I designed in Vegas.

I started out in the vintage clothing business in New York in the late '70s. I bought 500,000
vintage sunglasses from a wholesaler. I paid fifty
cents a pair. These were optical quality European sunglasses from the '40s, '50s,'60s: wraparounds, handcut butterflies, rhinestone encrusted, plastic laminated animal prints, the real deal. I ended up selling the glasses to upscale department stores and boutiques
for as much as $25 a pair. I made hundreds of thousands of dollars. It all went up my nose.
The company was called Shady Character. I expanded into clothing. I scoured Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens for never-worn vintage clothing.
I found shitloads of bowling shirts, gabardines,
sharkskin suits, Beatle boots, winklepickers,
painted neckties...a motherload. Nobody had thought to go to all these ancient clothing stores
and look in their basements. Orchard St. on the lower east side was a goldmine of cool stuff. By 1980, I had amassed a warehouse full of vintage clothing. I was selling stuff to European designers. I made a ton of money. Bought myself motorized skateboards, rare guitars and travelled all over Europe. Snorted up alot of it. I eventually sold the business to my partners. Got serious about my music and started recording.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Russell Wright, Eames, Haywood Wakefield, formica dinette sets, rayon bowling shirts, cowboy prints, etc... that's just tiny bit of my idea of vintage... 20th Century Modern!
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

there's a Buffalo Exchange in Vegas. Of course, their idea of vintage is Sergio Valenti blue jeans and leisure suits.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I liked Buffalo Exchange too... I was big into vintage at the time so it was like a 1950's superstore! Is it still even around? I'm not sure I really care anymore... no, I checked and I don't care.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Trader Joes in Vegas is a third rate imitation of the San Francsico store.
Instead of guacamole, they sell 2 lb. tubs of pecker snot.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love Trader Joe's! I haven't been back to SF for nearly six years and that was the one thing I remember as being the shit! Big fucking tubs of yummy guacamole for like 2 bucks! Hell yeah!
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And is it difficult and expensives to get the proper licence to become a distiller ?
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

it is not illegal to make real absinthe (+45°) in france...(if you are a distiller)
it cannot be sold there...
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti-

Thanks for the link!
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

France is my holy land of alcohol, I may make the move some day... Especially if they legalise real absinthe.
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

or leave california and go to france...
Lint
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thats why you never leave...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's one of the places that expats from the West Coast miss most. Unless you live in France.
Admin
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

if ya'll were wondering what me and Trainer keep talkin' about, Trader Joe's is a small grocery chain:

http://www.traderjoes.com/

it has some of the best priced, tastiest food stuffs around. YUMMM.
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>It's like nothing I've tasted before

i think you can safey say it is nothing like ANYONE has ever tasted before, although absinthe was very popular in northern france where it could have been possible that someone had done that...well, not with serpis...
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is Trader Joe's Spicy Cider and where do you get it?? Haven't seen it here in FL.

BTW, does the EPA know you are messing with toxic substances?
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, kiddies, I said I'd try it when my order finally arrived . . . Serpis plus Trader Joe's Spicy Cider.

Color/Louche: I can't really tell if there's any louching going on, as cider is opaque. It looks like brown tomato juice.

Scent: A chemical-ish dentist's office-y blend. All I can say beyond that is that it smells cold. Yes, I know that's not saying much, but it smells COLD.

Taste: WOW! That's . . . TANGY! It's like nothing I've tasted before, but not bad. Very rich; would probably be less so if it weren't a spiced cider.

Much more cider-y scent when heated, but still a hint of dentist's office. The flavor is definitely altered with heat, and improved.

I knew you'd all want to know!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page