Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 19, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » The Listening Room » Archive through July 19, 2002 « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The next time I get plastered I'll bring along a dictaphone and record a few tracks of my own.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's the beauty of him brother!
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom Waits sounds like a down-and-out who's had one bottle of meths too much.
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist & Pataphysician - An interesting discussion. Something has been bothering me for years with popular music...There are way too many lyricists and musicians that are limited to repetitious Hooks. So the search for quality is getting harder. To me, though, not all vocal renerings are wanting...
Sometimes one stumbles upon an artist whereby the vocals become as important to the piece as any instrumental rendering. Some of the jazz vocalist come to mind. Annette Peacock, Nina Simone...even when the lyrics are not important.
Then there are the artists like Tom Waits where the lyrics are especially important. But the vocal style is also a much needed part.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist:

I think we had this discussion before. I think a lot of times lyrics are just something that groups feel they have to slap over the top of the music, or something that the singer uses to play his instrument, that is, his voice. Nowadays these poor suckers have to fill up an hour's worth of time on a CD and, lyric-wise, they just don't have it in them.

If by "sophistication" you mean that I've heard a lot of lyrics for a lot of years, then, yeah, you're right. After a few decades the majority of it sounds cliched.
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Look for The North Mississippi Allstars - A rockin' bluesy trio.
Also those of you in NOLA - Morning 40 Federated - a Boozy romp thru the Crescent City.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

King Crimson?
Emerson, Lake & Palmer?
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chev,

Mannheim Steamroller?
The Carpenters?

Sorry, I used to listen to tons of 'classical', but now I find it boring and irrelevant to what I want to get out of music. When I was into it, I liked the stuff with emotion and balls: Beethoven, Bartok, Brahms, Arvo Part...

K.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Several years ago I gave up completely on music with lyrics. It's all so embarrassing."

That sounds really sad to me - like a symptom that self-conscious coolness has gotten way out of control and is dominating your choices in life: sophistication as a prison. Personally, I'm allergic to too much cool. One of the things I like about the Crows is the lack of fashion consiousness. I mean, a pudgy guy who looks like a muppet with a potted plant for a hairdo and sings "I wish I was a girl"...

K.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Classical music.

Scarlatti.
Telemann.
Haydn.
Gluck.
Schumann.
Satie.
Debussy.
Stravinsky.

Got any to add to the list?
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I wish the future of hip-hop was non-existence."

Me, too. That's why APC is so necessary. If they get any exposure, everyone else will slink away in shame.

Several years ago I gave up completely on music with lyrics. It's all so embarrassing. I'm slowly beginning to accept words in my music again: Lee Scratch Perry's live stuff, Bob Dylan "Love And Theft", and Anti-Pop Consortium.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, since I like the Counting Crows, I didn't consider the money wasted. My experience determines value in this case not anyone else's. It doesn't surprise me that there is widespread disdain for the band. They're just putting themselves out there, making the music they want to make. I think whether you think they are cool matters to them about as much as it does to me.

I wish the future of hip-hop was non-existence.

Black Crowes were OK for the first album or two. Now they just sound like a muddled mess - I saw them live on TV a couple years ago, and it was about the worst, most amusical performance this side of a high-school band. They're so stagnant in their retro vibe, they might as well be Elvis impersonators.

K.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anti-Pop Consortium, baby. I've seen the future of Hip-Hop and it's name is Anti-Pop Consortium.
Admin
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

here's a lullaby for you ... fresh new and lovely Rasputina.
Tinkerbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Know what I want to hear?
(yawn)
A lullaby! I can't sleep.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My favorite new shit:

WHITE STRIPES, INTERPOL, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS,
ANDREW WK, JIMMY EAT WORLD, LES TROIS SOLEILS,
JOHNNY DOWD, THE STROKES, BETH ORTON, AND YOU WILL KNOW US BY THE TRAIL OF THE DEAD...
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cunting Crows suck major ass... now the Black Crows, ahhh...
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

if you can waste money on a Counting Crows album, surely you can take a risk on the new Peppers cd.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got the new Counting Crows CD a few days ago, and I haven't been able to listen to much else since. It's much stronger than THIS DESERT LIFE. The mult-part harmonies (including many guests) are fantastic.

I heard a very similar review of the Peppers' new effort on NPR. I'm still too skeptical/prejudiced to fork out cash though.

I just ordered a couple of White Stripes and Hives CDs based partly on what was said here... plus I heard a few tracks of each that sounded really good.

K.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Friends? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

INTERPOL

http://www.interpolny.com/
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm listening to an advance cd of New York band INTERPOL. Its called "Turn On The Bright Lights".
Its dark and beautiful. It reminds me of Joy Division. I recommend it to anyone who digs Television, New Order, Buzzcocks, John Cale, The Jam.
early Radiohead. Exquisite sublime despair.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

pikkle, stop following me around. You must have some other friends to hang out with.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't believe it, but the new Red Hot Chili Peppers' album, BY THE WAY, is brilliant semi-psychedelic Southern cal pop. This is a band I've never been able to stand, so its a real surprise to like this album this much. Producer Rick Rubin has given the whole thing a shimmering clean guitar sound with propulsive drum and bass. Very stripped down and diamond hard. Great songs, sweet harmonies and big fat hooks. Wow, what a fucking surprise. The Peppers have gone from a shit funk band to a masterful pop band.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page