Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 20, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe & Collectibles Archive thru January 2003 » Good drinks » Archive through July 20, 2002 « Previous Next »

Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

white armagnac is almost impossible to find in france...that's why i didn't even mention it...it mixes extremely well with absinthe, as wolfgang might have guessed...
Bob_Chong
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"This is the first air-conditioned apartment I've ever lived in."

Welcome to '02...1902 that is.

(Air conditioning was invented 100 years ago Wednesday.)
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"In a cold dark apartment in Chicago
a cigarette drowns inside a glass of gin
He lies there drunk but it don't matter drunk or sober
he'll never read the words that pride won't let her send."
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

''I'll just take a glass of bourbon on the rocks, my old brass blade fan blowing the hot night air... ''

Could have been said by H.Ford in BladeRunner...

I`m impress.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wish it was just a movie... they end more quickly. You get up out of the theater seat, wipe the oily popcorn crumbs from the corner of your mouth and head out into the warm summer night... the end.
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I went out with a little list of things(notably the ones mentioned by petermarc) and couldnt find a one of them. I ended up buying a bottle of A de Fussigny cognac. I like it actually. I tried straight, rocks and with ginger ale and all three were quite good. Of course I have little experience with cognacs other than Hennesey or Courvasier.
And now I'm just another loser/non-loser sitting in front of my PC(I want a Mac) drinking.
I had spent the night with a couple of friends discussing things...Kerouacs withdrawl from the everday among them. I bring that up because I have been trying to read Dr. Sax for ever now, but I just don't like it. Its sad really. The book contains some of the best passages I've ever had the pleasure to absorb but as a whole it seems very uninteresting...But I'm no literary connoisseur.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

pikkle,

it sounds like you're trapped in a noir movie.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haha! the core of the forum in action : A drunk elder and a mascot !

Yes I`m at home drinking in front of my computer but I don`t consider myself a looser because of that. Good goth nights are sometimes in the middle of the week around here and today I keep my energies for tomorrow`s big goth GT in Montreal.

I worked the evening shift this week, babysitting a vacuum thermal test on some spacecraft circuit. I like evening shift. I hate night shift doo. sorry for you pikkle.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll just take a glass of bourbon on the rocks, my old brass blade fan blowing the hot night air in from the window and Billie Holiday crooning away on the stereo...
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've just been sitting around with friends enjoying some F. Guy and Tullamore Dew -- no, not together, though a sort of mutant Sazerac made with the two might be interesting.

This is the first air-conditioned apartment I've ever lived in. It's very nice. Outside it's not oppressively hot but it's so humid I feel like I'm treading water.

Got to try a nice grappa one of these days. No one around here seems to stock white armagnac. Hard enough even finding armagnac.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm here. A loser and proud of it.
I'm wearing a push-up bra, fuck-me pumps,
and a NY Yankee baseball cap. I'm sipping a cosmopolitan, my red manicured nails tapping the rim of the glass, as I conjure up images of a proudly sweating pikkle staring into the furnaces of absolute reality. The thought sends a shudder up my massive member. My hairless scrotum sac clenches like a chihuahua staring into the maw of a slavering pit bull.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm still here Wolfgang... but being that it's Friday night, most of our comrades are probably out and about... only losers like myself are sitting in hot, stinky steel mills just because someone has to make the steel... I'll be having my glasses at about 8 this morning though so hang in there!
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Third glass of absenta di grappa.

I like it.

I`m having fun.

It`s damn hot over here.

Where`s everybody ?

Haha, it`s like in the old days when I was drunk ranting about Deva on the forum ! The forum is not dead yet! Or is it ?

I want a night club that serve Moonman`s absenta di grappa !
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bailey's, Butterscotch Schnapps and Frangelico on ice... feels like I'm six years old in the ice cream shop again!
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

white zinfandel is to wine what Bailey's Irish Cream is to the cocktail.
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

White Zin was a mistake...They made tons of it and had to sell it all cheap - Suddenly, it became the highest selling wine around. I agree Marc, what a tragic beverage.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

white zinfandel is dreadful.
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

T N T Cocktail

1 oz. Cognac
1/2 oz. Cointreau
Dash of Bitters
1 oz. Absinthe

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Aint too shabby!
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absenta di grappa :

1 part grappa
3 to 4 parts fine absinthe.

Sugar to your taste and add ice cold water as usual.

Use a good absinthe like a La bleu (Betty #2 would be amazing), F. Guy or Un Emile.

The grappa I use now is a 40can$ 750ml bottle of "Alexander society" 40% alc. grappa (type of grape not specified). Honestly it's the first grappa I ever tasted. I bought this one because it was not too expensive and the reviews where good and where describing it as a very fruity/spicy grappa and a good value.

This drink provide you with an interesting fruity, spicy and resiny absinthe ... you know...grape spirit... I did it 1 part grappa / 2 part Moonman's NewYork version and it was amazing but a bit to strong on the grappa. Now I'm tasting 4 parts #10 / 1 part grappa and it's just perfect.

But I guess it could be very different depending on what kind of grappa you use. The one I'm talking about is just perfect for that task. Enjoy!

I dare anyone to come up with a better absinthe drink ! (I never tasted a white armagnac doo. Could probably replace the grappa very well too).
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...As long as it's RED!
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

did someone say Zin?
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ooooh, I would love a glass of Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. The nectar of the Gods!

Have you tried a Pimms Cup? Always fun!

A good Red Zinfandel is always a nice choice if you are into wine. I personally think Port is too sweet.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've a nice bottle of nine year old Cuban rum sitting in the basement actually... don't tell anyone though!
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>As a scotch and absinthe drinker, I don't have to do much in the way of mixing, and want to keep it that way.)

high alcohol--armagnac (bas armagnac-vintage at least 15 years old-if you can be so choosy)
or
aged rum (french islands or haiti)

low alcohol---vintage port (ask for suggestions from what you have to choose from, i had a 1997 that was quite tasty though very young, or 20 year old tawny)
or
australian reserve muscats can be spectacular and resonably priced
if you can find 'hardy's whiskers blake, it is amazingly cheap for the quality(at least the last time i bought it, which was 4 years ago)
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I go to my local merry mart of merciful sweetness(liquor store), and was about to pick of a 6-pack of Harp(decent lager). I decided I don't want beer. I looked around and was about to pick up some Glenfiddich but put it back as well. I am in the mood for something different but my palate is not as learned as I would like.

I knew I could come here and ask some what a good drink is here, so I will. What is a good drink? Something I can sit back and listen to music or even watch a good flick with. Something not pop-culture, something that doesnt take a ton of preperation. (As a scotch and absinthe drinker, I don't have to do much in the way of mixing, and want to keep it that way.)

I have been eyeballing Cointreau and Chartreuse. I have no idea what they are or if either one is any good at all. I just want to evolve dammit! Please O please! won't someone help a poor underdeveloped soul?

:D

ps. I'm plumb out of absinthe...sigh...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page