Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Alstina

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe & Collectibles Archive thru January 2003 » Alstina « Previous Next »

Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mother's milk! As it is, we're all infants to be again anyway...
Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So . . . um . . . what exactly is "Bursting with Flavour" anyway??
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Breasts sell breasts...
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis teach you how to do that?
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry... file's too large.

DuBouchett Lady
Artemis
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, when I wrote that the label still exists, I meant the DuBouchett name, not the Alstina label, which is apparently defunct.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Funny thing is, that cross on the label looks
> more like a Maltese cross than a Swiss one.

In its shape, yes, but I meant that it was white on a red background. That is the Swiss motif, no? Like on a Swiss Army Knife? Perruche, I can't even *see* my monitor from 12 feet away!! The clincher was the recipes, which are very obviously for absinthe-based drinks.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Alstine" with an "e" would have looked a lot more like "absinthe" ... maybe too much.

Funny thing is, that cross on the label looks more like a Maltese cross than a Swiss one. A case of creative license?
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Artemis' theory is more likely. Just try looking at your monitor from about 12 feet away.

Nice label -- I hope one turns up. But if I'm reading the fill line on the bottle correctly, that is clear glass with very dark contents. Still, if it really were absinthe... I continue to be amazed by all the 1930s references to absinthe, post-ban, and I wonder how much of that can be accounted for by existing stocks and contraband.

Fascinating bit of history, anyway. I wonder if the company has any family or business relation to the pre-ban absinthe producers in Louisiana.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ending as it does with an "a", the name "Alstina" sounds very Spanish. Could it have been meant to evoke Spanish absinthe?
Artemis
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> What, when, where?

I don't know, 1945, and maybe on a dusty shelf in a barroom somewhere in America.

In an antique shop, I found a little brochure for DuBouchett liquors; it was printed in 1945. It shows pictures of their products, and includes recipes for drinks, tips for throwing cocktail parties, etc.

Some research indicates that DuBouchett started in 1935 and the label still exists today, although maybe not under the same company. Although they still offer a range of liquors, Alstina is apparently not among them.

My guess is, it was apparently a faux, or maybe even a real, absinthe. It was 120 proof, way higher than any other product in their brochure. The label with the Swiss cross is an obvious imitation of an absinthe label. And then there's the name, apparently crafted to resemble the word "absinthe" from a distance. And the only drinks in the brochure using Alstina show the same recipes used to make Absinthe frappe and Suisesse in old NOLA drink recipe books.

Perruche, I posted it in the hope someone here might recognize it. I've also heard there's a strange spoon with holes in it at the local American Legion, left there by a long-dead veteran of WWI; none of the regulars know what it is. I'm trying to get my hands on it.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What, when, where?
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

alstina

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page