Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 21, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » FILM FORUM » Archive through July 21, 2002 « Previous Next »

Pataphysician
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love WALKABOUT and DON'T LOOK NOW, and I should have loved PERFORMANCE for all the reasons you do, but it just induced narcolepsy. Maybe a better print and better sound would help.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

PERFORMANCE and DON'T LOOK NOW are two films that I would love to see on DVD with commentary by director Nicholas Roeg. Roeg is one of the world's great directors and cinematographers. Unfortunately, his films are not easily available.
And the ones that are, are on shitty video transfers. If you want to see a Roeg film that has been given the format it deserves, rent or buy the DVD of WALKABOUT. He also shot Truffaut's FARENHEIT 451 - not a great movie, but a beautifully photographed one. It is also available on DVD.

Well, I just did a search and discovered some good news. DON'T LOOK NOW will be released on DVD on September 3. Roeg's THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH starring David Bowie is also available on DVD.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

pat,

PERFORMANCE is a great movie. It is also very demanding, confusing, and obscure. But, it stands up to repeated viewings and it challenges the viewer to interpret the film in any number of ways. It has also been hugely influential. There is no question in my mind that
PERFORMANCE has influenced the work of Scorsese,
Tarantino, Soderbergh, and Guy Richie (Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrells). At the time of its debut, critics and audiences were outraged by the film. The combination of sex, drugs, violence, Mick Jagger, Satanism and rock and roll, scandalized just about everyone who saw the film.
I love the film for the very reasons most people hate it. It makes you think, it shakes you up, it confounds.
Pataphysician
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are 3 movies that I fell asleep in the theater during, in fact within the first 30 minutes:

PERFORMANCE
BRAZIL
ZARDOZ

For years I've been trying to muster the interest to give them another try because people rave about them so much (well the first two, anyway).

And there's one movie that I watched on video and immediately rewound it and watched it over again: THE KING OF MARVIN GARDENS. Very different role for young Jack Nicholson, and Bruce Dern is outstanding.

Last night's viewing ONE EYED JACKS was incredible. How come this isn't mentioned along with the all-time great Westerns? It was supposed to be directed by Kubrick, but Brando took over (his only directing effort). It's obvious that Sam Peckinpah and Clint Eastwood studied this one very carefully.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now that is quite a coincidence. I watched it last night too, for the first time, and I loved it.
Raschied
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I watched Amelie last night and really liked it.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

DON'T LOOK NOW
would be on my list of the 10 best movies ever made.

artemis,

the movie in which Peter Sellers plays an east Indian is THE PARTY.

DANCE WITH THE DEVIL is an unjustly ignored exploitation classic.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here are some I'll stay up to watch, in no particular order:

Leon (director's cut)
Withnail & I
Performance
Wicker Man
Don't Look Now
Wild at Heart
Pulp fiction
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Any early Eastwood Western

I guess I don't get out as much as I used to...
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, and speaking of lists.

Pillow Book. The movie. Most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Literally made me gasp out loud at times.

And I liked Apocalypse Now as well.

Missouri Breaks - with Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholas. Shakespeare in Love. Lord of the Rings. Easy Rider. And a movie the name of which I can't remember, but the devil is travelling Highway 61 from Canada to New Orleans, buying souls for as cheaply as a bottle of liquor.

Obnoxious little tap dancing girl:

"I'm going to be a big star!"

Devil:

"No you're not, and you know why? Because you're ugly. And you're always going to be ugly."
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see I used the word best a couple of times anyway, even UPPERCASED it. Oh well. I'll tell you about the best absinthe next. NOT!
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't like lists; I'm not going to say "best" because I don't know what that is. And I don't remember when movies came out. Here are some movies I liked; a mixture of the everyday and the offbeat:

Dance with the Devil
Repo Man (produced by Mike Nesmith of the Monkees; a masterpiece)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (I never get tired of watching it)
Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills
True Grit
Videodrome
Halloween
Interview w/ the Vampire
Nomads (with Adam Ant; his first movie I think)
Titanic (wanted badly to hate it, but it's a terrific movie)
All of Peter Sellers' movies, especially The Fox and the one where he's an Indian who shows up uninvited to a banquet.
Rancho Deluxe (Very early Jimmy Buffet soundtrack)
Blazing Saddles
Gods and Monsters
Eyes of Fire
Blood on Satan's Claw
(the last two, obscure horror movies, the best I've ever seen)
Blue Velvet
Fight Club
Clay Pigeons (I've seen it so many times I can recite the dialog word for word - I love Vince Vaughn and this is his finest hour).
Jacob's Ladder
Predator
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Snatch
Everything by Jim Jarmusch, Ghost Dog in particular.
All of the "Zatoichi" samurai movies, about the blind swordsman. They were made in the mid-1960s, and are currently running on the IFC channel on "Samurai Saturday". The Zatoichi series are the BEST samurai movies, bar none. Funny, artfully filmed in beautiful settings, and with plenty of amazing sword play.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Well, what would you call Uma Thurman, Christopher Plummer and Crispin Glover?"

At the time I saw the movie, I would have called them unknown to me. Probably their faces were recognizable as people I had seen in some movies, but I didn't know their names. Today, I would call them forgotten aspects of the movie. Sorry, I simply didn't remember who else was in it. Obviously I didn't remember the title either, but what I gave as the title is definitely the theme. And you get to see some very nice titties as well. I recorded it off the TV and I still have it. I don't have to watch it again to know it's light years ahead of the Tennenbaums. I also had a Tennenbaum reaction to Rushmore - I disliked it so much, it almost made me angry. As for Paltrow (sp.?), if I had to look at her for another minute, sitting there with that black shit under her eyes, looking like a sick dog waiting to be put out of its misery, I would have gladly pulled the trigger myself.
Anatomist
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't seen POLA X. I didn't know anything about BRIDGE when I rented it, except that Juliette Binoche was in it. It turned out to be one wacky, fucked-up movie. It seemed so over the top that it wasn't really trying to be plausible - more like an odd fairy tale. The storytelling was mostly visual, which I appreciate in a subtitled film, and you can't really find that in American films anyway. In fact, I'm currently laying 850 square feet of ceramic tile in my Dad's house. I often end up listening to a movie or TV show while working, but can't see the images. Everything is so dialogue-driven that surprisingly little of what goes on actually requires the images.

I just ran into a TV show the other day that might interest you. It's called THE SCORE on the Trio channel. They bring on a director and composer(s) he worked with, they tell stories about the process of putting music to their films, show examples, etc... Interesting, but the only drawback is that they might not be your favorite directors, and they have guest schlocks on to sing movie hits in between interview segments. I saw 2 episodes: Taylor Hackford and Rob Reiner. It's got a long way to go until it's as good as INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO, but I like any sort of behind-the-scenes stuff about what goes into movies.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

of the films you listed, I really liked ALMOST FAMOUS and LORD OF THE RINGS. Leos Carax' LOVERS ON THE BRIDGE is a brilliant but flawed film. Have you seen POLA X? It was also directed by Carax. His films are deliriously romantic and over-the-top. But, somewhat sloppy and silly at times. He's a genius, and like most geniuses he goes off the deep end. Thats what makes his films so exciting.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know when things came out. Movies that I've watched somewhat recently that I liked more than most:

BEAUTIFUL MIND
LORD OF THE RINGS
ALMOST FAMOUS
CHICKEN RUN
WHAT WOMEN WANT
UNBREAKABLE
THE GREEN MILE
THE JOY LUCK CLUB
LOVERS ON THE BRIDGE (recent version)
ANNIVERSARY PARTY
SMOKE SIGNALS
PLAYING GOD

I've seen many movies in the last decade, but not many are available for random recall.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

loosen up, give it a try. Make it a real short list. They don't even have to be the best films. Just films that pop into your head.
I know you liked DANCER IN THE DARK. Any others?
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

Your post was 'in the can' when I posted mine.

I don't have a list-ready brain. Mine works by associations, connections, and reasoning. Recalling a list without cues is akin to rote memorization and recall to me. I took French for 4 years, high school and college. Then I went to Paris, and could barely remember a couple dozen vocabulary words. I had to eat plain omlettes and let street vendors take what change they needed out of my hand. I could remember all the pronunciation and sentence construction rules, but I had no vocabulary.

On the other end, about 12 years ago, I took a class called 'Plants and Man' which was mostly a multimedia presentation of broad theoretical and philosophical ideas about evolution, biology, and human behavior. I never took a note, never studied, and got a 98% on the final. I still remember large amounts of detail about the class content to this day.

If there is a discussion about particular films, it will bring things up, but if I have to come up with a list, I'm fucked.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about some lists? Shall we start with the best films of the '90s? Here's mine:

FIGHT CLUB
FEARLESS
EYES WIDE SHUT
FARGO
PULP FICTION
TITANIC (I expect to take shit for this one)
THE THIN RED LINE
AMERICAN BEAUTY
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
BREAKING THE WAVES
DANCER IN THE DARK
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
THE STRAIGHT STORY
HARD BOILED
BAD LIEUTENANT
CRASH
MALCOLM X
SHOWGIRLS
STARSHIP TROOPERS
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
GOODFELLAS
SECRETS AND LIES
THE DREAMLIFE OF ANGELS
BOOGIE NIGHTS
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Am I the only one around here thats seen ROAD TO PERDITION?
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

did you bother reading my post below. I already set the record straight on
"Where The Heart Is". Which, considering it was directed by the occasionally masterful John Boorman, has to be considered a minor film.
Somewhere between "Zardoz" and "The Emerald Forest".
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd take Rushmore over Tenenbaums by a slim margin... I'll be watching neither again anytime soon...
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought TENNENBAUMS was moderately amusing. I thought the visual style and timing were somewhat appealing and some of the gags were funny. I can't see drooling over it or hating it. I had exactly the same reaction to RUSHMORE, which most seemed to think was absolutely great. Since neither pissed me off, and seemed to invoke unusual moods, in addition to being more entertaining than 90% of the shit that plays in theaters here in Florida hell, I'll be willing to watch his next movie.

Artemis,

I just looked up your movie. It's called WHERE THE HEART IS (1990), and the rest of the cast is hardly a list of nobodys: Uma Thurman, Joanna Cassidy, Crispin Glover, Suzy Amis, Christopher Plummer... I'd call that a deep bench. Now, the question is whether my local Blockbuster will have it...

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoyed THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS alot. It reminds me of some of my favorite off-beat films: LORD LOVE A DUCK, YOU'RE A BIG BOY NOW, THE LOVED ONE and MORGAN. Its an absurdist comedy with a genuinely warm heart. At its core, the movie is about family loyalty and how hard it is for modern families to communicate and trust each other.
I don't have a problem with the fact that the scenes don't fit together. Life is pretty random. Kind of like an Altman movie. Gene Hackman, Owen Wilson and Angelica Huston deliver witty and memorable performances. And the soundtrack is wonderful. Particularly in the scene when Gwyneth Paltrow emerges from a bus while Nico drones in the background. I also thought the montage of Paltrow's marriages was a hoot.

artemis,

you referred to John Boorman's "Where The Heart Is" as having no stars, other than Dabney Coleman. Well, what would you call Uma Thurman,
Christopher Plummer and Crispin Glover?
I didn't like "Heart". But, I didn't sit thru the whole thing. Because of your recommendation, I'll take another look.
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle, you nailed it.

I rented the Tennenbaums the first day it came out on DVD. That has got to be the worst, overblown, overrated, piece of empty, useless, SHIT I've ever wasted three dollars upon. What an utter piece of crap. What's bad about it? What's GOOD about it? It was not funny, it was pseudo-intelligent, it was contrived, it was STUPID. I was bored within five minutes and stayed that way. I couldn't relate to a character in that movie past wanting to squash them like so many roaches.

You want to see a movie that delivers the goods the Tennenbaums utterly failed to deliver? "Home is Where the Heart Is" with Dabney Coleman and *no* other "stars". A touching, funny, ARTFUL movie. The only thing remarkable about the Tennenbaums is how much money was wasted on big name actors to stand around and do absolutely nothing. It made me literally nauseous.
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To me, it was as if someone said "hey, let's tell a story" and then didn't know what to do next... as if each scene was created in the hopes it would fit with the prior scene and in the end it would all fit together... there were a couple of scenes that were cute but in the end, it failed to convince me that it was actually quirky, just very mixed up... maybe I just needed a few more percs to make it all come together, I don't know...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page