Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through July 25, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » The rain » Archive through July 25, 2002 « Previous Next »

Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Count me amongst K1000 owners. I love it. Stood shoulder to shoulder w/our friend Fat Danny, who was using a Canon Rebel, and took pix in Ireland in '98. Mine looked sharper, more true to color, and had greater depth every time.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Barsnake:

A nice thing about the KONICA BIG MINI F is that the housing is thick aluminum. It's the size of a deck of cards, but heavy.
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My $.02 - We do a lot of motorcycle riding...
Camaeras are a neccessary hassle. - I dropped an Olympus everytime we stopped from California to Wisconsin - Still managed to get great pix.
Finally got a Canon ELF for a gift - fits in any pocket (pants or shirt) and takes great pix.
As mentioned earlier, tho, it does take the APS format film -
But it works for quick snaps.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A

Most of my shots in the mill are hand held... mind you I may have to take several shots to get one that's steady enough but I abhor flashes and very high speed film... it's just my preference regardless of conditions...
Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

W,

If you're into taking non-flash, very low light pictures, shooting faster than 1000 speed can be necessary. When I was taking pictures in nightclubs, I often shot 3200 wide open on my f2 and f1.8 lenses at 1/60th and even 1/30th. Even then sometimes there simply wasn't enough light to take pictures. Unless you are a robot, it's nearly impossible to get reliable results shooting hand-held exposures much longer than the numbered fraction that most correlates with your lens length (e.g., 50mm:1/50 ~ 1/60th, 150mm:1/150 ~ 1/120th, etc...).

The other option to squeeze out extra stops is faster lenses, but they cost. For my Nikon, going from an 85/f2 to an 85/f1.4 makes the used price jump from around $200 to around $600. Plus it quadruples the size and weight. That's just to squeeze out one extra stop.

Rangefinders are more successful at pulling off great fast lenses, because there is no mirror flip-up space between the lens and the film. Lieca makes a 50mm/f1.0 - the Noctilux: that's basically 3 stops faster than the standard f1.8. Even with a lens of that quality, there are still strange picture quality issues with taking pictures at very wide apertures. Unfortunately, the cost of this lens alone new: $2800. Lieca is for people who are either rich, or damn fanatical about photography.

Bob,

For black and white, try the Kodak T400CN. It's actually a non-silver, monochrome "color" film. The sharpness is incredible. It can also be pushed to 800 or even 1600 successfully, if your developer can handle that competently (good luck). You have to specify to have it printed on black and white paper though, otherwise your pictures will look sepia-toned. I fiddled with some other B&W film for a while, but I became addicted to the CN for everything except very low light - regular B&W film seems muddy or crude or something in comparison. For low light, it's Ilford 3200. I don't have a very informed opinion about color film, slide or print.

K.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Last year I traded in my OLYMPUS OM-1 for a KONICA BIG MINI F to take on a trip ("Big Mini"? Go figure.) Supposedly the best lens of that compact Point And Shoot category. This is a discontinued model, the "F", not to be confused with the several other "Big Minis" which apparently are crap.

They recommended using Fuji film and the color I get is fantastic; nice greens. I love this camera and use it more than I did that clunky Olympus.

Konica Big Mini F
Baz
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got an old pentax k1000 too. Not exactly a limo, but it sure does the trick. And it's built like a tank!
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I doubt having a quiet and stealty camera is a concern in a steel mill. Someone taking a picture with a big or a small camera is still someone taking pictures... I also agree with Pikkle that you don't need a fancy camera to take great photos. I've made great photos with disposable cameras. Wide angle lens and good quality zoom can be very usefull doo.

About film speed, I do not recommend anything over 1000. It makes grainy pictures. If you can't bring a stand, use a chair, a desk, anything... I usually use a 400 but I agree it can be difficult to take sharp pictures in the dark without a stand. I have also noticed that expensive professional quality film does make a difference. I usually don't use such films but when I did once, it was very easy to say "ha! beginning with this picture, I was using this fancy film" just by looking at the pictures.

To take great pictures of people, the most important thing is to do it fast and to take many.

Now don't ask me what kind of camera I use right now, I have a cheap ass camera and I often use a disposable one instead... You just remembered me of another thing that's on my "I want it soon" list.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cool--a photo thread.

I agree with Anatomist, a Hexar would be sweet. I have also lusted after a Ricoh GR1 (or whatever the lastest incarnation is). It's about $400 gray market, amazing glass, point-n-shoot with AF and also full manual controls as well.

I bought my wife an AF Samsung point-n-shoot a while back. It was a little over $100 with a 35-70 zoom. The nice thing is that it has Schneider-Kreuznach glass (!). The pics it takes are quite amazing, all things considered. It is basically the same thing as a Rollei P&S (spec for spec, identical) but for about 60% the cost.

If you're looking to go into medium format, you should look beyond just Hassy. I have a Pentax 645N and love it immensely.

And when I someday have more time and money, I plan on getting a Graflex.

Stay away from APS. Smaller negatives? No thank you.

What kind of film are you folks using? I use mostly Fuji for color and Ilford for B&W. I've been using Fuji NHG II (800) lately for indoor family stuff (MF pics). We use Fuji Superia 800 for the Samsung, but lately we've been trying the 800 stuff sold at Walmart under the Polaroid name, though it is actually made by Agfa. Seems pretty good so far.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will leave behind all of my clothes...

Well, like I said, I just don't have the time (money is no object, ha ha ha!) to invest right now and stepping up on the equipment isn't in the picture... what I'll do, i'll do now with what I have and if the chance avails itself, I'll go beyond... besides, some of the most intriguing photos I've seen have been taken with mere box cameras... no lens, no shutter per se, no light meter, just a quick flick of the wrist and, voila, a moment in time is stolen...
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll go digital one day. But for now, the picture quality still isn't quite there, and the low-light capabilities definitely aren't. Last I checked, a film camera and an f1.8 lens with high speed film is still about 4 or 5 stops faster than a $1000 coolpix. I'm going to keep waiting. I haven't been taking pictures for quite some time anyway.

BTW, Leicas are all 35mm. Konica now makes a Hexar body that allows you to shoot Leica glass with AE, auto focus, and auto film winding. If I was serious about high-quality people pictures (about $3000+ worth of serious), that would be my setup.

K.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Nikon 5000 I use is small enough covertly carry almost anywhere... I've a Canon 1N and an old Pentax K1000 but I honestly haven't shot 'film' in a long time having reverted to digital because I'm time constrained and patience diminished... If I had the money and time, I'd get a real nice Hasselbad or Leica medium format and stock up on some good glass...
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn. I was just looking over that Hexar stuff, and now I want one! That motherfucker is awesome. It's even got a spot meter, and handles film speeds up to 6400. Unfortunately, I think they run almost $1000 in great condition.

K.
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle,

You may want to go on ebay and get yourself one of these:

canonetG3QL17

You can get a nice one for around $70 and get it spiffed up for $30. It's got a 40mm f1.7 lens that's sharp as hell. Load it up with some 3200 speed film and you can take a picture of anything you can see with your eyes. T400cn pushed to 1600 gives sharper results, but you lose one stop. It's a rangefinder camera, so it's much smaller than an SLR, and about a million times quieter. The shutter sounds like a paperclip landing on a tabletop. The metering is a bit primitive, so there would be a learning curve there (I think it's AE up to 800 speed).

If money isn't important, you could nab yourself an old Konica Hexar AF, 35mm/f1.8. Some are all black, almost as quiet (eerily quiet), and they have autoexposure, autofocus and auto film wind. It's the ultimate stealth camera.

Hexar Link
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And I know you aren't the same person-
Head snores louder.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

May I recommend an APS camera (small) w/400 film (fast)?
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!
Okay... let them eat grass...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are still people who think
we are the same person.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Besides, I do not have nearly enough images that I want to capture, so much more of the plant I've yet to explore and so little time to do it... I've seen events, people and areas at the mill where I said to myself "damn, i wish I had my camera." It's not so easy just snapping postcard pictures in a place like this though... the lighting in most areas sucks, the atmosphere is sometimes corrosive and/or deadly and the people that work there are all extremely suspicious when it comes to someone, even someone they know flitting about the place with a camera... it takes time to get what I want and I've not yet gotten anything close to what I really want... and up until now, it's been a personal thing with me.
But the cacophony of forum voices have spoken, standing in unison and they've asked "What of this Pikkle? Why is he such a bitter, caustic prick? Why does he seem to enjoy nothing of the world at all, especially the Beatles?"
At first, my answer was "Fuck off. Any musical group that let's a Japanese performance artist inflitrate then disassemble them has no place in the world for me!" But was there more to it than that? The words of the forum elite swirled around my head like the rush of turbo air at the blast furnaces, screaming like the eight thousand horse power motor that's straining to eke out every last thousands of gauge from a sixty wide high strength low alloy strip, rumbling like a white hot slab roll in the roughing mill, hitting each stand like an atomic bomb and relenting to the overwhelming force of forged iron roll and capitalistic fervor. Then it hit me (no, not the slab.)
"You are the steel. The steel is you."
And from that moment on, so it went.
"They shall know!" I exclaimed.
"They shall see!" I shouted.
"They shall then probably want to go pee." I remarked under my breath in a foreign language I did not know. The life of those who take the earth and manipulate it into whatever you see fit to spend money on, you all shall know that life. And beer.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But what we all want is to be slaves, isn't it? At least we can choose our masters, even if it's ourself.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Until one day, someone goes 'you know, that book my sister got me for Christmas with all the steel mill pictures? I know that fuckin guy in the glasses...'

DO IT. DO IT NOW.

They might fire you. Suddenly, there you are, no longer at the suck job and with the power to go anywhere.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I was thinking of Mr. Celery perhaps... that would throw them off for sure!
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are too many people who work themselves half to death in the hope that they will reap the benefits on retirement and they never get beyond the first year of retirement. I think the problem is that they spend their whole working lives thinking not of how they can enjoy the present but how they can enjoy the future. Then the 'future' arrives and suddenly it is not the future anymore, it is the 'present', and having lived their lives for the 'future' they can't deal with living for the present, their whole purpose for living (the future) has disappeared, so bang, their system shuts down.

The best advice for a happy future is too live for the present and let the future take care of itself.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, create a pseudonym, don't use your real name Mr. Pikkle.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The sudden lack of stress is too much of a shock.

In some ways I can understand the perverse love you can develop for a dirty job -- my friends say of my current job, 'oh, I'd never last even a day there' and sometimes I just smile and think 'you know, you're right -- you wouldn't'.

But the pics are indeed beautiful. Create a pseudonym and publish them.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page