Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sebor, a latecomer's review

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe & Collectibles Archive thru January 2003 » Sebor, a latecomer's review « Previous Next »

Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about a fine glass of tall cool absinthe?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you got the vintage one...

I would tell whatever story you want to ear over a tall cool glass of fine absinthe !
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe over a tall cool
glass of Herbsaint, eh?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Naaaa you won`t push me into telling the story again !
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Being VonPikklevitch, it don't fit you Wolf.

(abbadee abbadee abbadeee)
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

*yawn*
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't be a dick Wolfgang ...

Just put it in your profile.

...copy... ...paste...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Find the needle in the haystack.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Look in the archives, I'm bored to repeat the same story about once every two months.
Binky
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, for those of us in the dark, care to fill us in on the whole Sebor/Martin Sebor/Sebor Strong love triangle?

I've heard several contradictory stories...
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We aims to please... also, try it in a big glass with ice and lemonade for a taste vaguely reminiscent of the lemony Spanish absentas, but dryer and (IMO) better... the fennel gives this a nice bite.
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

PV;

A good review of something I've never tried, thanks.
Tabreaux
Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sebor, Sebor Strong, Krasna Lipa, etc. seem to all share the same origin (e.g. Martin Sebor). The quarrel appears to be amongst the distributors, probably over distribution rights. FWIW, these products appear to be at least partially (if not completely) made from an 'assemblage' of extracts.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perruche, let's make sure that everybody knows that you mean Sebor from Martin Sebor, not the Nasty Sebor Strong, which bases its reputation on thujone content, and is manufactured by a distillery in no way related to (and possibly being sued for trademark infringement by) Martin Sebor.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was an impulse buy. The best bargain for those of us in the US comes from La Boheme UK, so that's where I ordered mine. This gets you the 55% liquor in the square 'Krasna Lipa Likerka' bottle, with 'Likerka Martin Sebor Rumburk' in relief on the glass bottle itself. Supposedly that's the weaker domestic grade stuff, but from what I've heard there's little flavor difference between the various sources. If anyone has contradictory information, let's hear it. La Boheme's service and packaging are excellent.

The dominant flavor is fennel. Fennel, fennel and fennel. When I began drinking absinthe I tried making herbal tinctures to help me distinguish some of the flavors. The smell and taste of Sebor are nearly identical to those of my fennel tincture, with just enough green anise to keep it from being unpleasantly bitter. There's a hint of A. absinthium. I think there's lemon balm in there too, maybe even hyssop, but hyssop can be hard to pin down and there's so much fennel here that it's hard to tell.

Like Sebor suggest themselves, it's best in a non-traditional fashion: over ice with a small amount of water - I'd say no more than 50-50. Too much water will result in a weak and bitter flavor -- as Wolfgang points out, the bitter notes in absinthe seem to persist longer than the sweet anise when it's watered. It doesn't need sugar if it's iced, and if it's watered too heavily sugar will not help.

As long observed, it gives neither the heavy white louche of F. Guy and the Spanish varieties, nor the opaline clouds seen in Un Emile. The best I seem to get are heavy gradient lines.

I suppose the big question is, why spend ~$70 US for a liter of this (with shipping) when $85 now gets you a 70cl bottle of Real AbsintheTM from Liqueurs de France? Fortunately I'm too possessed by memories of my grandparents' candy dish to answer that. Sebor has a taste exactly like a certain old-fashioned candy I always liked -- the kind with little red and white sprinkles surrounding an anise core. It would be really pleasant after a good Indian meal.

Traditional absinthe? Definitely not. Best absinthe deal? No longer, if it ever was; the price would have to come down a bit to make this a regular purchase. Effects? Yes, I think, but I'm really a pushover when it comes to those.

Try it if you're not partial to anise or if you must try everything worth drinking. It's not the worst I've tried, but I wouldn't suggest making it your first, or only, commercial absinthe.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page