Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What's great about the forum et al.

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » What's great about the forum et al. « Previous Next »

Bob_Chong
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle:

Are you channeling Lennie?
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the part about the chickens...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

CHONGER!!!
Bob_Chong
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

After returning from a long absence, I have realized what is great about the forum and the state of absinthe in the year 2002. Namely, there are no longer repeated discussions about Deva and LaSala and the like. Just think, it wasn't long ago when Segarra was the best thing available. Segarra is still the best among the Spanish and a great product in its own right (I have always liked the romance of the Segarra myth and legend, and Petermarc's visit to Senor Segarra's booze ranch was truly wonderful). But I remember when people were getting excited about NS and other new ones coming down the pike.

And now absinthe seems to have blown up, way beyond the old offerings. I remember wanting to try the Lisbon Sheep Dip, just for the sake of variety. I remember people posting arcane methods for faxing bogus tax numbers to some French wineshop just to taste Oxygene. We've come a long way.

And I have to think that this forum is somehow responsible in some way for either creating a market or verifying that there is a market for better products. Sure, this small band of folks represents a tiny, tiny fraction of the market, but I do think it has some influence--certainly in the knowledge dissemination aspects. And each forumite probably has at least a few absinthe loving friends who never post here but benefit all the same.

Another musing is that we probably owe a lot to Jade, even those of us who have never tasted it (I haven't). The mere spectre of an authentic product must have spurred on the development of such things like Emile 68. It's as if these new products are playing John the Baptist for the Jade messiah to come. So we still wander in the desert, waiting for the river Jordan to louche with Jadey goodness.

It's too bad the hausgemacht discussions had to go. That was fun while it lasted. I still hope someone has the time and money to start up a hogsmack.com forum. That would be great to watch and read. I throw money at anyone willing to start one up.

And this idea has been mentioned before, but I'd love to see a forum archives CD-ROM made available. I know that Kallisti doesn't have the time for doing it, but if you ever do, dear admin, it would make a fun and interesting look into the genesis of the absinthe revival of the 21st century. Who knows, maybe somone here could use it as the basis for a dissertation or something. But I'd love to go back and read all the stuff, like the thujone in Herbsaint tests and whatnot. There was a time when the archives had endless information, where you could point a newby to RTFM. I'd also like to browse some of the nonsense, too, like the infamous Kristy Tit Fuck incident. LOL.

Next, I was absent when Don was banished, if that is what happened. I don't know what happened, how or why, but I do know that I miss Don. Don was a great guy and well versed on many subjects. And his use of the word "horseshit" was without peer. Guns, booze, and world politics. Don's absence is a huge void here. I know he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but he really must have gone off the deep end to be booted. His scientific knowlegde on distillation certainly aided more than a few hogsmackers, and Don probably saved a few lives by always discouraging home distillation. His warnings were always serious and well reasoned.

Finally, I just want to say that it's good to be back. I don't always see eye-to-eye with everyone here, but the discussion can always be lively and entertaining. I hope to meet many of you someday.

Thanks for listening to my longwinded musings.

I Chong the Body Electric

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page