Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Where are the foodies at?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Where are the foodies at? « Previous Next »

Bob_Chong
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Canning is kind of a pain in the ass. Besides, I'm about to move. Anyway, what I ended up doing is making the finest red gravy I've ever had. After two days of slow cooking, I put the stuff through a sieve. At this point, the tomatoes were a deep maroon color. Then I reduced them until it was the consistency of tomato sauce. I added a tiny bit of canned paste for extra thickening and some herbs and spices. It had a rich, carmelized taste-- and velvety smooth. My God, it was fucking phenomenal.
Barsnake
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

or - instead of trying to cook them all at once - put 'em up in jars...then you have homegrown whenever you want it.
Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh, tomatoes kill most wine...try dry, good quality sherry, acidy vino verde from portugal or other light white, very dry, even slightly sparking wine...good for lemony spanish absinthe, like lasala, but should work well with better absinthes, too (many mediterranean dishes go well with/after absinthe, which normally would accompany ansisettes, pastis, raki, or ouzo...)
Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

crème andalouse et ses billes de chèvre

800 grams tomatoes
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
1 clove garlic
4 onions
2 slices whole wheat/country bread
2 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 package of goat cheese(fresh) or mozzarella(not near as good)
2 tablespoons of fresh mint leaves
salt/pepper/tabasco/worecestershire sauce

dump tomatoes, bread, half of each pepper, two chopped onions, and garlic into blender or cuisinart-like apparatus...mix 1 minute until mushy...add 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar and around a cup of water, season with tabasco and a touch of woresectershire sauce, salt, pepper to taste...blend until smooth...put in frig

dice up rest of onions and peppers
roll cheese into little balls

put 1 tablespoon olive oil in to dish and mix with finely chopped mint leaves

roll cheese balls in olive oil/mint mixture

put soup into individual bowls, lightly dump the chesse balls into the soup, then spinkle a little of the diced peppers and onions

put little fresh sprigs of basil as decoration, if you are feeling prissy...

fucking tasty! no cooking required, normally this is done with canned tomatoes, your fresh slow-cooked ones should be phenomenal, but you may need to use more water...
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You could always just slather a bunch of tomatoes on a sunbather, wait a few hours then lick it all off... thong, garlic and oregano to taste
Tortainglese
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

sauce doesn't require slow cooking. Maybe tomato soup is a good option for you. That relies more on the slow cook approach.
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did someone say Foodies? We have 2 locations here.

http://www.foodieskitchen.com/
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Throw them at someone you like then lick it all off...
Bob_Chong
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I need a recipe for tomato sauce. My tomato plants have gone nuts. This year, I planted "only" three plants, Burpee's Fourth of July variety, and they are loaded with ripe fruit.

I've already picked maybe 50 or more and cut them and put them in a slow cooker. After they blanched for a bit, I removed the skins. Now what? I'm thinking something along the lines of an old Italian recipe, like a sauce that cooks for days. Anyone know of anything like that? I've made quick sauces from fresh toms before, but never anything slow cooked. I can always wing it, but I'd love to hear from someone here who has had some success with a long cooked recipe. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page