Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

A Cornhusker heads East...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » A Cornhusker heads East... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 31, 2002Louched_Liver25 7-31-02  1:18 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We exit the cab, walk past the statue of Jackie Gleason as Ralph Cramden outside the terminal, head downstairs, get in line, and the line starts moving. Heaven! No waiting. On we go, in we go, off we go, through the tunnel we go, out we come, one last look back we take, off to sleep we both fall.
-NEXT STOP WESCOSEVILLE!

That's it. Home again. Only 6 hours spent in The City, and it feels like 2 days.
Super!!!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sated, we cross the street to Union Square Park, which is packed, due to the heat.
Siclycle found someone's lost shakebag on one of our cab rides, and expresses a desire to indulge.
-Go ahead.
-Here?
-Sure, just be cool.
-Ya sure?
-Chill.
Ciggybutt hollowed out. Funstuff replaces.
Shmoke. Shmoke.
Hot sun. Mucho beers. Lot's o' steppin'. These jockeys be whupped.
Time to bust homewards.
Step to curb.
Raise right hand w/oh so slight wave-Bingo! Cab.
-Port Authority please.

The end of Big Livin' is nigh.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wokkin' off
I smell lunch!!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We belly on up to the bar at the kitchen. The wok jockeys are quiescent at the moment. Our server is trendy in black, and sporting a wireless order pad. Sapporos for both, spicy duck in broth for meself, Sicco will have to tell you what he ordered. Order entered. Order printer chatters. Top dog kitchen man takes order and hands it to a couple of waiting woksters. Flames sprout under the blackened iron bellies of the woks, oil and ingredients hiss in. Less than 5 minutes from the initial order, the steaming bowls of yum-yum are sitting in front of us.
It's all good!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Think Noodles
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Port Authority, Rudy's, McSorley's, various street corners.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What are you Iron Bladder?
When did you Jockeys pee?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was time to eat, or keel over. We made our way to Republic Noodle on Union Square.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

They got some mighty fine pipe and cigarette blends too...
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Be good or be gone
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my $10 smokes, and my $7 shades are both visible in the beer pic. Now that's funny.
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looking back at the pic's of the wishbones and the lights they hang from, I hear Jaques Costeau's voice....."and now we send in our diver, Philip....." As the wall said, "Be good or be gone"
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hiya Pikkle.
Neither of us puff cheroots.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lights+darks
The beers came at us twin-style. The barfolk can carry up to 8 in each hand.
McSorley's opened in '54. 1854. And probably got a good cleaning for the last time in 1855.
Make a wish!!
Legend has it that these wishbones were the remnants of last dinners here before boys went off to WWI. Upon their return, they'd remove their wishbone. These guys never came back.
Playin' taps
The place is covered completly w/shit to look at. The accumulation of a century and a half of lives lived.
Jockeys
Well on our way to being totally shnockered.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Should have gone to Nat Sherman's and sat for a spell over a nice stogie...
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

gusty's
Guastavino's is indeed very suave, but they let us in anyway. The ceiling must be over 40' high. The windows go from the ground to the top. And the busgirl was so hot, she scorched. Every time I'd prepare to mosey over and yak a bit, some other dog was sniffin' around. Only in N.Y. or L.A. would a friggin' busgirl for fuck's sake be so tight.
And the $10 ciggy butts. I'll stick to my more affordable crack habit, thanks.
Now, we are truly headed Downtown, being well liquored again after this diversion.
Let's go to McSorley's!
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We walked around and checked the sights on the way to our next destination. LL said the name of it but I kept forgetting it so I just made sure it was a alcohol serving place and was content. We approached the end of a huge bridge that was enclosed into a quite large and very nice restaurant/bar that looked truely "Sex and The City" worthy. Gustavino's was the name I eventually taught myself after repeated advising from LL. We sat back at the epic bar and drank Bloody Marys as I tried to stop sweating. The 2 t-shirt idea was a bad one, and i stripped the outer shirt, only to reveal a sweaty, trashy t-shirt underneath. The bartender and the busgirl I was eyeing were impressed i'm sure. I tried to maintain my cool till i ran out of smokes, and after alot of thought and advise to hold off from LL, proceeded to pay $10 for ONE pack of Marlboro's. WOW. Then, true it was day, but the lights WERE much brighter there, and I did forget all my troubles, as well as my cares as we went DOWNTOWN!
LL steered me into a bar as he wore a complacent grin. "In here" he said. As I stepped thru the doorway to McSorley's Olde Ale House, I could smell the 125+ years of history....LITERALLY! I meandered thru the sawdust covered floor to the old, wooden bar that seemed to stand triumphant. "Dark" said LL. I caught on and mouthed "light". and in a flash the bartender had 2 mugs in each hand and slapped them down on the bar without a thought and said "dare ya goes."
THis guy must have had a big bowl of I don't give a fuck for breakfast. Pure Attitude. Funny? Funny how? Am I some sort of clown? Here to amuse you? A cross of Kevin Spacey and Joe Pesci, with an apron. 28 years he has been slingin hops at this place. I am 25 on this day. WOW.........
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That fuckin' weiner had some kinda snot, or jiz, or pus, or some such gloppin' off it. I would have walked to the nearest trashcan and jettisoned it, but Siccy had his heart on (or a hardon) for an NYC dog. He lived, so it was OK, I guess.
Time to grabby a cabby and get our asses Downtown. 'Cuz we Downtown kinda boys.
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

On our way to Central Park, I bought a long desired hot dog. I asked for everthing on it, and got just that. I witnessed the application of ketchup, mustard, and lost it after that, somekind of vegetable, onion i think, that was quite soft and mushy, was placed on top of the aforementioned hot dog, and the "onions" had been stewing in some kind of sweet and sour goop that managed to get anywhere but into my mouth. As I dripped, we walked on, towards Central park, and as dumb as it sounds, all I could think of when we reached the park was the high speed car scene from Die Hard 3. We bounced across the street and walked along the park, and as we passed what I presumed to be a statue, a crowd of approximatley EVERY grade schooler in New York that hapened to be on the same sidewalk erupted laughing. I thought my mushy weird hot dog had foiled me again, then I realized that the children were laughing at the statue. It was in reality, a man covered in white makeup, and standing upon a pedastal. Still, I curse that hot dog......
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

After a beer or 5 at Rudy's, I'm feelin like I'm in the middle of a Beastie Boys song. Grand Central Station is next on the map. I can't say that I remember much of it, due to the fact that I was still pulling my head out of my ass and reeling in my tougue from the floor at the same time. The Monks, or, "Des Moines", is but a fading idea that I may have occupied in a former life. Not only have I realized that my city indeed does suck, but that I have been deprived for far too long. LL leads the way, I have the inclination that he has been here before, so I "shut up and hang on".......
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A quick hop from Times Square is the Grand Central Terminal. All fresh and squeaky clean from a multi-year makeover that topped out @ about $150,000,000.
The hustle, the bustle, millions of people a day off to god only knows.
The black rectangle in the picture was left by the restoration crew as a reminder of how dirty the ceiling used to be.
Look up, way up.
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

(not the cowboy, the little pink guy.)
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm positive that William S. Burroughs once occupied my seat as i sat in the small, dark bar that is Rudy's. I guess one could call Rudy's Bar the walk-in freezer of Hell's Kitchen. Cold and dark. After manuvering thru the Port Authority, me at LL's heels, we approached the doors to the outside, Babylon, The Big Apple, Gotham, our destination. When I stepped out, I was hit with a defenite "hum". LL tells me that this is synonomous with New York and if I ever see a movie or show that lacks the "hum", that it is not really from the steets, more like soundstage material. LL also pointed out that now, while watching shows that take place in New York, I would sometimes recognize places, or buildings. I caught on right away. We "schwerved" thru the cadence of passersby, and when caught peeping a wayhone, little siccy caught a shoulder from a native. We walked as I was mesmerized, until now, I was'nt even sure that this place existed, except on T.V.
In the dim, cool bar, the beer went down like a $2 whore, quick and easy..........

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page