Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Is this an "absinthe" liquer?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe & Collectibles Archive thru January 2003 » Is this an "absinthe" liquer? « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a small box of mind blowing Dulce de Leche ice cream.... yummmy!

But of course with this torrid weather, it's all gone now.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pisco, definitely. Though invented in Peru, the Chileans claim it's theirs.
Luisa
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In Colombia Manjar is a different kind of sweet. We have arequipe -which is your manjar-, and "manjar blanco" which is a variation, much creamier, with raisins, and packed in an empied, dried and very thin coconut shell. It's traditional from the south of the country. I think it's indian artisan.

What about Pisco? My dad would drink it to death.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Luisa, the Chileans have a special word for "dulce de leche": it's "manjar".
Luisa
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you're making some crepes pleaseeee get Dulce de Leche (also known as arequipe, cajeta, etc. it's a latinamerican milk-based type caramel). Melt some dulce de leche with a bit of milk, add some strawberries, pour on top of the crepes ..

Voila!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joy of Cooking ROCKS! It will tell you how to cook whale meat, octopi and (IIRC) a whole roast camel. Plenty of veggie delights too.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

American pancakes, from "Head"

1. Go to Big Boy
2. Wait to be seated

"I'll have the short stack of
silver dollar, please!"
Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

American pancakes, from "The Joy of Cooking"

1 1/2 cups all-porpoise flowers (er, all-purpose flour)

1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons double-acting baking powder

Beat one or two eggs lightly and add:

3 Tablespoons melted butter
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk

Combine with dry ingredients just enough to moisten.

Note: Superior results are gained if most pancake doughs are mixed and rested, covered, for 3-6 hours before cooking.

Grease your skillet (if necessary) and heat. Test by letting a few drops of cold water fall on it. If the water bounces and sputters, the griddle is ready to use.

Pour batter from the tip of a spoon near the skillet. When bubbles appear on the upper surfaces, but before they break, lift the cake with a spatula to see how well it has browned. Turn the cake only once and continue cooking until the second side is done. Cooking the second side takes only about half as long as the first.

Serve at once with butter and Genepi and bacon or sausages. If this is not possible, keep them on a toweled baking sheet in a 200 degree (F) oven.

Would you believe this is just my SUMMARY of the instructions?

Ooo, a recipe for squirrel! (You think I'm kidding, don't you?)
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In Chile, crepes are called "panqueques". In other words, pancakes. And pancakes are called "tortillas". It's all very confusing.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

maybe i might be able to find bisquick in the 'exotic foods'section at the gourmet market...
never could make pancakes myself, my wife would just laugh and scorn me...
crêpes may just work, though...will experiment with 'un sapin' (pine liqueur) and oxygénée...
should flame up nice(insert czech joke here)...

even more rare:
keebler pie crusts...no way to make a real key lime pie without the grahmcracker version...
*sigh*
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's the International World of Pancakes
Syrup-off!

What? No Bisquick in Pah-ree?
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

now head, as you know i would take you up on that, but american pancakes are harder to find in france than absinthe...maybe a crêpe suzette with 'genepy' instead of grand marnier? hmmmm, i see possibilities here...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hmmm?

Prove it.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i'm sure this product would be quite tasty on pancakes...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't like that they're trying to lure
me in with that maple syrup bottle.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

genepi is a member of the armoise family (in fact much more rare than a.a., a protected species and VERY expensive-$600 a kilo in paris) most likely a 'secret ingredient' in certain vintage absinthes...

>légèrement dosée en sucre (150 g pour un litre )

that's 5.30 oz. per liter, so 'lightly' is a matter of opinion, it is hard to find 'liqueur' products like these that don't rely on too much sugar, but compared to coca cola...

it is NOT absinthe, but is most likely a decent product, if you like that sort of thing...
(i do)
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Spelling error: should read "liqueur".
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.genepy.com/accueil_fr/liqueurs/liqueurs.html

Here's a website selling something that may or may not be absinthine. Artemisia of some kind is definitely involved, but no references are made to "absinthe, bohemian muse, drink of madness, etc., etc.".

Is this just some sugary herbal concoction?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page