Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

A Belle Epoque cafe that will serve r...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe & Collectibles Archive thru January 2003 » A Belle Epoque cafe that will serve real absinthe ... in Santiago, Chile. « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is there a scholarship available? It's part of my education, right . . .
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All right then... let's quit being pussies and get organized. I'm in... anybody else?
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

there's a few of us north hemi people that should really try and make a trip down to see the chevy man , check out some vineyards , slip over the border to see mochu pichu (sp?)... i almost made the trek down this past january with a friend.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Apres-ski, it's time for ... absinthski.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe and ski... yes.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's a ski resort 45 minutes away from Santiago. Another, better one is 2 hours away, up a steep, long, winding road like a high-desert version of Maui's road to Hana.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good... it's been too fucking hot this summer dammit! I'm up for some skiing!!!!
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Remember that the seasons are reversed here. Right now, we're in the middle of winter. In January, it's summertime(!)
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

let's go Wolfie!
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hummm...I should consider a trip to Chili then... ;-)
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like them both. The "eel", as you call it, has a stronger kick ... good absinthe for a classy, high-quality binge. The Frankie Gee is like a dessert in a bottle. We'll offer it to the señoritas.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Which would you prefer, the Un Em Eel? Or the Frank Guy... that's all I have left at the moment...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And the bottle, don't forget the bottle ...
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh... okay, just bring the telescope then... gotcha...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No rainforests in Chile, dude.

Up north, the driest desert in the world (San Pedro de Atacama). Great for stargazing. In the middle, think Napa Valley. In the south, volcanoes, forests, and Switzerland-esque lakes. In the far south, fjords, glaciers and Antarctica.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just wanna meet the rain forest and sip some louchie louchie with the locals...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you can, you should -- and bring some absinthe with you! The Andes mountain range is incredible, and Patagonia has some of the best hiking and camping you can imagine.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sheeit, I'll be right down bro!
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the heart of Santiago, Chile, we have a Belle Epoque-era avenue named José Victorino Lastarria. There you will find a contemporary art museum, an archeological museum, a theatre, bookstores and artists' studios. Below is a link, in Spanish, which gives more information.

http://www.vivaqui.com/la_terraza/arqui_old3.cfm

On one of Avenida Lastarria's corners is a sprawling old building, built in the 1890s as a music conservatory. It has a two-story high recital hall/ballroom with a stained-glass ceiling, and some impressive Beaux-Arts rooms. Below is an exterior shot of its entrance:

my picture

My friend Eduardo owns this property. Eduardo is a bar owner/antiques dealer who loves to restore things. He's spent a year fixing up the building; the back half he'll rent out as offices to architects, while the ballroom and the front rooms will serve as the bar/café. As for the bar's look, well ... try to imagine what the grand dining room of Napoleon III's imperial yacht might have looked like, if such a thing ever existed. Cobalt blue walls, cream columns with gilt capitals, marble fireplaces, parqued wood floors, large paintings of sailing ships and Persian warriors, enormous mirrors with gold-leaf frames the works. Once inside, you don't know whether you've stepped back in time or onto a theatre stage. Eduardo is restoring slowly, the expenses are being paid out of his own pocket, so it may be five or six more months before the bar (to be called "El Gran Cafe Berrí") will open. By then, Jade absinthe should be available ;-)
Which is just what Eduardo needs, since absinthe is NOT illegal in Chile. (Even so, it isn't sold or bought here ... yet.)

Eduardo and I think that absinthe will be a fine way to promote Gran Berrí. The public, which knows zero about the green fairy, will have to be educated, and I'm preparing promotional material in Spanish. Café patrons will be served absinthe in the traditional way: with spoons, sugar cubes and water on the side. No burning involved!

As for me, I just want a place where I can go and have a good glass of absinthe in public. Gran Berrí seems like my best chance to do so.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page