Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe glasses in the strangest pla...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe glasses in the strangest places... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 01, 2002Greenmeanie25 9-1-02  7:29 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Beckbjj
Posted on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL MD! See, I could get rich after all! ;-) I just thought it was kind of interesting to see a (possibly) vintage version of the same glasses that were discussed here not too long ago. Either way, I'm not buying it! For the time being I'll stick to the repros, and hopefully get around to getting vintage glasses one of these days. After all, they're all green inside...er...well, not really, but you know what I mean. ;-)

Becky
Mogan_David
Posted on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Come on Trainier,

Just think if she sold a million glasses she'd have TEN MILLION DOLLARS!
(Holding my pinky to my lip like Dr. Evil)
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know that you'd get rich very quickly selling your glasses (which, being from W-S, are what, $10 each?) for $20 on Ebay . . .

From the photo, I can't even tell if that glass HAS seams! Who knows, maybe it does!
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

this is a common classic bistro glass that was used for absinthe, but not exclusively, and is seen in old publicities and paintings...the problem is trying to tell whether the glass in the photo is actually of an old one, though i imagine it is...when in doubt, ask for a photo of the bottom...the old ones have an irregular circle that is slightly scooped into the glass where the iron rod which held the glass as it was made was cut off (pontil mark)
Beckbjj
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, this glass on eBay described as a vintage absinthe glass looks amazingly like (i.e. identical to) my pressed glass set of glasses from Williams-Sonoma!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=904606824

W-S says my (modern, pressed glass) set is made by the oldest glassworks in France, and someone here mentioned that there also is/was a proper (not pressed glass) version of the glasses I have. I wonder if this is the glass that the modern repros I have comes from.

I wonder if I could somehow remove the seams on my set and get rich quick on eBay! ;-)

Becky
Greenmeanie
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,
Would love to post some pics BUUUUT 2 problems.
First, no digital camera! Working on it tho. Second, the marks are real tiny (I wanted them subdued incase I fucked up, thankfully I didn't!) so they would not show up well at all, IMHO.

Doing it was cake! I HIGHLY recomend the method.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greenmeanie:

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Craft stores are the shit and an oft overlooked resource.

Post some pics if you have the capability!

Bob
Greenmeanie
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Bob!!
I just came back from my local Pearl Crafts (serious, humongo craft store). Bought a small jar of glass etching cream AND they have rub-on decals to do lines! I bought a rub-on kit that has letters and punctuation marks. It had a ton of hyphens so I could go nuts on the freebie glasses I got from SC. Came out great. Since the letters/hyphens were not huge, the marks are subtle but usable. They have different size lettering kits and they had a roll of pre made lines. The paste says to let sit for no more than 60 seconds. This is sufficient but if you want it deeper, go about 2 minutes. Works great, easy, takes mere minutes to do and cheap. Beats the Dremel hassle.
Crowlyman
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.kohls.com/main/brand_subcategory.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=15642201

Kohl's (and cheaper) link.
Crowlyman
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I went to Kohl's recently and happened of these Longchamp Cristal d'Arques glasses.

http://www.villagekitchen.com/mfg/arc/arques/g/longchamp/longchamp_crystal_glasswar.html

I bought a set of 4 7.5 oz glasses. But they didn't cost as much as this site has them going for...In the picture, they are the 2nd or 3rd glass(hard to tell), counting from the left.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page