Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

DEVA Absenta circa 1983

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe & Collectibles Archive thru January 2003 » DEVA Absenta circa 1983 « Previous Next »

Bob_Chong
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I once had some 1989 Deva, and it was very minty. Like Scope.
Simon
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've had several bottles of this description in my earlier absinthe drinking days. As far as i can remember this style of Deva bottle and label stopped being made around 1997 i think.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Would it be possible that the difference in taste is due to it's age ? We should contact the distillerie and ask them about it.

Any Spanish speaking volunteer ?
Eric
Posted on Sunday, August 4, 2002 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

DEVA Absenta circa 1983

Recently I obtained an old bottle of DEVA absenta, I have been told that it was made in 1983 and was able to make a side by side comparison with the present day version.
Upon inspection the 83's dark green bottle is taller and narrower than that of the current product. There are also differences in the labeling. The Front label of the 83 is of the same format as the label having "aperitif anise" at the top instead of "bebida anisada", and "elaboration especial" appears on the upper banner in lieu of "bebida espirtuosa". In addition a grapevine design provides a background on the older label giving it a more traditional look. Both bottles have identical tin, twist caps. The alcohol tax seal on the 83 is of an older design as well. Both are 50% strength absentas.
The scent of the 83 is alcoholic up front with a sweet anise aroma in the back. the smell of absinthe plant is detectable shortly thereafter along with some citrus and herbal tones. After comparing this with the scent of the current version, one senses right away that the 83 is indeed a different product the one being made today. The 83 does not have the unpleasant "burnt wood" smell that plagues the present day DEVA absenta.
Both are almost the same artificial light green color, with the 83 being slightly deeper. After adding water, the 83 has a translucent, or opaline louche. Compared to the thick, milky white clouding of the current version.
The flavor of the 83 is very pleasant, mostly anise up front. But this is a much softer and rounder anise/fennel combination instead of the rather harsh, star anise burn of the current DEVA. The 83 is also void of the "overcooked" taste that is associated with the present day DEVA absentas. It is fairly sweet out of the bottle, with a slightly dry absinthe flavor that lingers in the finnish. Due to its inherent sweetness, no sugar was used in this taste test.
In conclusion, although the 83 does not measure up to a quality vintage absinthe, it is still superior to the absenta currently produced by Destileria la Vallesana. It is a shame that they do not make it like this anymore.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page