Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Flashsinthe from Versinthe

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Flashsinthe from Versinthe « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have no idea. I guess it's mainly Hill's, Absente and green Versinthe.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang: What do you think about availability in the rest of Canada?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's no law in Canada about it, there's just a recommendation from the "food-something-blabla institution" that recommand a 3ppm max but we already know they don't care about it for other herbal products like chartreuse and vermouth and I doubt the chartreux monk are brewing a "special version" just for Canada...

And anyway, are we 100% sure that thujone can end up in the final product of a distilled absinthe, especially a blanche ? I'm not sure about that...

About Hill's, the SAQ (in Quebec) had a choice to make between versinthe and Hill's and they choosed Versinthe because Hill's was so bad they couldn't believe people would buy it and Versinthe was also cheaper (That's about what they told me, in other words of course when I asked last year...).

At least that shows they are not completely stupid...

We will see what happen with this blanche. Maybe there's hope for a very near and green future in Montreal.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

but the fabrication comparison box on the site(fiche technique comparative---versinthe-versinthe blanche) says that for canada, thujone has to be max 3ppm/liter...making the french version of la blanche not legal there, i think...is that the law in canada? maybe that's how hills had no problems...
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good news for absintheurs in Quebec !

I contacted the SAQ and they will soon be selling the Versinthe blanche at their "signature" boutiques.

No pricing yet but I'll let you know when it's availlable.
Artist
Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoy the Versinthe blanche...(and it is about the same price as Segarra - except when you figure in shipping - then it gets weird ):

Julian Segarra 6160 pts 37.02 euros
1 litre

Absinthe La Blanche 3454 pts 20.75 euros
0.5 litres

a.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

well, remember when everyone was sure segarra had sugar in it?
the guys at versinthe told me it was a printer's mistake (sugar mentioned on the label)
so did françois guy...
i have no reason to not believe them, since they use star anis quite heavily and licorice...
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ya, ok, just another nonsense from the Liquoristerie... Let`s have this good old Segarra then. It`s been a long time.

Haha! Come to me absinthe without any required efforts... ;-)
Mclion
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Totaly agree to you Wolfgang. Segarra rules!
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

They swear that there is no added sugar although the label I had said otherwise - I think Peter has the low down on this. If you like the regular Versinthe you will like the blanche, if not...
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I guess I'll just stay faithful to Segarra then... Since Versinthe is already sold here, the blanche will probably ends up on the SAQ shelves soon anyway.
Mclion
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's not too spectacular...

Well, nice bottle, nice spoons, but I prefer a nice drink!

Markus
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Added sugar or just the natural sweetness of star anis ? Does it numb the tongue ?

It's been a long time since I ordered something but I have the opportunity to order a single bottle through a friend of mine who's placing an order at SC and I'm wondering if I should buy this one or a bottle of Segarra.

I already know Segarra and my friend will order his own bottle of Versinthe blanche so I'll have the chance to taste it anyway... Hummmm, wondering...
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Versinthe blanche is nothing like any La Bleue. It has the heavy star anise louche of the verte and tastes quite sweet.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

that would be me. I am remiss in doing my review ...

what else is new!?!? heee.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who tasted Versinthe Blanche ? Does it compare favorably with your average La Bleu ?

I find it very expensive for a 500ml bottle... (Or is it 700ml like the regular verte ?)

It would be nice to have a review added to the guide.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i'm surprised...it's in both of their best interests to know a little english, but i was talking to them in french...are they selling the new fountain yet?
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used a translator and got a response...They sent me a P.S. that said: "we don't speak English and we use a trasnlator" LOL

Thanks guys.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i'm sure they can understand quite a bit of english...and i certainly told them that they could sell alot of these fountains (i bought 1 of 5 existing prototypes from them)
they may not yet have them for sale as they told me thay had to order 500 from the glassblower as an initial order...
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nolamour, it sometimes (but only sometimes!) works if you translate a very direct, simply-worded message into French via

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

and then send it across the pond to the Frenchies.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the fountain...

Do you know if they will sell to the US? I sent them an email in English, but every time I do that I rarely get a response...if the site is not English.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And now that includes the blanche... And explicit declaration that Versinthe verte is macerated and not distilled... And that the us version contain mugworth instead of wormwood (in very small quantity anyway).

For the french version of the green they say about 7 ppm/L (sic?) thujone and for the blanche 30. how do they got those numbers ? Who knows...
Admin
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.versinthe.net/

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page