Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through August 10, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Emile » Archive through August 10, 2002 « Previous Next »

Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Un Emile is a true, honest absinthe.

No fish smell.

But then, there may be something fishy in the people struggling to bring this absinthe down....
Scottagee
Posted on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Emile is fairly close to the color of your second peridot gemstone. I find it a very refreshing drink. So refreshing you wind up wondering exactly how you got so refreshed. I have a glass at hand as I type. The alcoholic effect is greater to me than the absinthe effect.

Oh and no fish in either of my bottles.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oups!

ok I also found this one...

yellow peridot
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

For a start the absinthe was a subtle peridot colour rather than the vivid emerald or fluorescent green of some of the examples around.

[from absintheonline web site]

Here's two pictures of peridot gem, one is more yellow than the other but it's still green...

peridot green

peridot yellow-green
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, now that the package is on it's way, let's ask the first big question...

The sample I tasted in NY was lightly yellow, not green, not even yellow-green... I could understand that you prefered to do a very light coloration to keep it fresh tasting but even then, if chlorophil was properly extracted, it should have some green tinge if your coloring herbs are green and properly dryed (not burned). Of course with age it should go from bright green to slightly yellow-green, that's normal.

So why is it yellow ? There must be a reason right ?

My suspicions (I may be wrong of course) :

The coloring herbs are not green in the first place or the process is wrong and doesn't extract the chlorophil properly or it's way lower than 68% and the chlorophil doesn't hold or it's aged in bright light (but why should it be ?).

Note that I'm not trying to pick a fight, I respect your effort in doing something closer to autentic vintage absinthe, I'm just wondering.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

*does the happy dance and sticks tongue out*
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

too late! The window of opportunity has closed!
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks!

(haha! so all Canadian customers should order real fast before he fix it ! ;-) ).
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang

It was shipped out today, don't worry about the shipping charges - the button is set up for US rates until I get around to fixing it!
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Note: due to the conflict between my web access provider and their employees, I still have no access to my hotmail account. I can`t access it from work so I`m stuck without email for an undetermined period.

If you guys from Liqueurs de France sent me an email concerning my order, I don`t know when I`ll be able to reply.

I paid with paypal and later I saw elsewhere on your site that the price for Canada was a bit higher. I had no way to change the cost in the paypal page anyway... I hope it won`t delay my shipment...
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I ordered a bottle...let's see if I can get it first (customs and all ) and then let's see if there's a fish in the bottle...

Good or bad, I want a bottle in my collection. At least it's a genuine effort to make something better.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

(BTW, access to my internet email account is down for 1-2 days...if someone sent me an email, I'll answer when it's back on)
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfie,
FINALLY!! Somebody else has mentioned that smell behind the anis and alcohol. I've posted two separate times about it but no answers. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?? It's not unpleasant, just annoying because I can't place it. It's something I've smelled before.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way, I don't remember any fishy smell. Neat, it was just very alcoholic. There was a special smell behind anis and strong alcohol I couldn't identify but that was not horrible.

I would need to taste it again in a more scientific fashion, comparing a sample with dryed herbs and extract to get a chance to maybe point out what it is.

If I get such a sample, I will of course return the favor...Any takers ? Email please.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Becky,
Un Emile 68? YES! I don't have the expertise that most of these folks have but I knows what I likes. But then again I kinda like Pernod 68.
The fishy smell? IMHO VEEERRRYYY minor, if you'll notice it at all. I had to go back and wiff for myself after reading this. I didn't notice it right off.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For sure it's worth giving a try. Even if it's not perfect, it's still better than most commercial brands, including some (most?) La Bleu.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

though it doesn't stand up to nephilim or moonman ,but for a commmercial brand it's well above most anything out there.
i just finished my first bottle and will be ordering more soon... so i'd have to say that go for it, too. did you notice, becky, that even the people making um-eel jokes were still drinking it, so i can't be too bad, huh? even ian made fun of himself (with his great new label).
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto. My favorite, too. The "fishy" nose from the bottle does not transfer to the palate at all.
Zman7
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Becky,
Emile 68? Go for it. As I sit here now, I'm enjoying a glass of it. It tastes great. One of the best commercial absinthes today. Not to mention the super speedy delivery.
Z
Beckbjj
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> sorry for the confusion! <<

Ah, not a problem, I just wanted to be sure.

So...fish jokes aside, is the general consensus here that the much anticipated Emile custom (which was to have been my next purchase) is better off left alone, given that I generally prefer my beverages to tend more toward the un-fishy side (being that I'm straight and all)? :-)

Becky
Admin
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you're right ... I didn't get back to updating the guide. that will happen eventually.

sorry for the confusion!
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you enjoy dead sea creatures, please imbibe with Un Emile 68. If not, uh something.
Beckbjj
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> The 68 IS the custom absinthe made for Liqueurs de France. There is only one Emile 68. The 45 is the version for domestic European consumption. <<

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. My confusion was caused by the Guide here which has a listing for Emile Custom stating 68% and a separate listing for the "regular" Emile stating strength as "45% and 68%". This gave me the impression that the "regular" was also available in a 68%.

Thanks,

Becky
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mmmmmmmm! Fishy, fish!

Fish Done Right!

Mommy makes goooood fish!
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The basin eel listed.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page