Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through August 15, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Emile » Archive through August 15, 2002 « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Precision :

Without sugar, there`s a nice wormwood bitterness to it.

I did also try it without sugar and with a huge 7:1 water ratio (and lots of ice cubes...damn it was 35C out there yesterday !). ''Wormwood limonade !''. Not the best way to taste it but very refreshing on those hellishly hot days.

...and yes it is a little bit fishy...
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You go boy!
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I got my bottle so here's a review.

The packaging is adequate (preformed foam to protect the bottle). The delivery is fast.

Smelling straight off the bottle, I recognize what some people describe as fishy but when I put a small sample in a shooter glass to taste it straight, it almost disapear behind the huge and harsh alcohol smell. Tasted neat, I do not recognize that strong star anis taste and smell Nephelim and I tasted in the New York sample. I will attribute it to the fact we were pretty smashed.

It is indeed low on *green* anis and I don't dedect any star anis. In fact it is low on every herbs... The color is a light yellow. There's no (or almost no) chlorophyllic coloration. I believe "the colour is achieved naturally by soaking plants in the distillate" as they say on the web page but the used process and/or plants they use obviously doesn't extract the green color (and very special smell and taste that comes with it). I'm not saying it is bad, it's just not a process that create a green absinthe. Moonman have his own idea about it but don't want me to share it.

With 5:1 water and sugar, it louche correctly. Don't expect the thick louche of the Spanish brands and of a pastis, expect the louche of an absinthe that won't numb your tongue from anis overload. The smell generated be the addition of water is bellow the normal if we compare it to good homemades but good homemades (and Jade) are not available so for now, it would be unfair to compare it to those. This adequate anis content is a huge positive point to them.

The taste is unusual. I never tasted *that* taste. I did tasted an hausgemachte sample from someone in Europa that was close to it (it used homemaid distilled white wine and allspice)but it was not the same.

All and all, it is not an absinthe I really like but it is an interesting commercial product that every modern absintheurs should taste. I will be glad to serve it to some of my knowledgeable friends around here, maybe they will like it more than I. Personal preferences aside, I place it in the same cathegory as Francois Guy.

PS.: I did measure the alc% and it is exactly 68%.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will know soon as I'm planning on ordering more... now this is getting on five months apart and if the next order smells like this one, I know there's something seriously wrong somewhere... my nose is always right.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hm. I was just sticking my nose in my various bottles, and while I still find not a trace of seafood in my Emile, my Wolvie La Bleue's clown-makeup tone seems to have aged into something kinda fishy. Not bad, mind you, but kinda...nautical...
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang

They tried to deliver on Monday. Check your email.
Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, come to think of it, 'kipperish' is a commonly found, perfectly legitimate and generally positive tasting note for Islay whiskies.
Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of the reasons sometimes given for the extraordinarily rapid demise of the Campbeltown whisky industry at the beginning of the last century (from well over 100 distilleries to just two or three today), was their propensity to store and transport the whisky in old barrels that had previously been used for storing fish.

One independent bottler at the moment is, and I'm not joking here, producing test samples of a malt THAT HAS BEEN DELIBERATELY FINISHED IN HERRING BARRELS, to capture this old Campbeltown 'reek'.

Should this particular whisky make it to market Pikkle, I'd suggest you give it a miss.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, leave the word "fish" aside ... when you open the bottle, do you smell something unpleasant? Compare it to the scent coming out of a bottle of la bleue, or perhaps Oxygenée. Do the two smells markedly differ? Should they?
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I finally get it (was it not suppose to take 2-3 days only ?), I'll sniff it but for now, all I smell is my cup of coffee...
Cheri
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't opened my bottle yet. I'm waiting for a "special occasion" to do so. When I do open it, I will render my opinion which is, of course, the deciding factor. By my conclusion, all in the world must abide.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

no
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe they just don't like you Pikkle and are saving the bad ones for you. I've bought five bottles and I don't smell fish or anything akin to low tide. My wife, who doesn't smoke and can smell liquor on my breath when I'm still on the front porch, can't smell it either. Since people experience the flavors in absinthe differently, is it possible that they do the same with scents?
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nah, it's not that. And my girlfriend, who smells better than I do (as it were) can't smell it either.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or maybe you smoke too much... that was my problem, I smoked too much and everything tasted just fabulous... which meant it had not taste. Then, I quit... now the things I don't like, I know I don't like them...

funny how things change... funny how things change...
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My bottle just doesn't smell like fish. At all. It must be a batch thing.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay... I just did an experiment and you can do this one yourself, at home or in the comfort of your office, or wherever is convenient. Here's how it goes...
Take an unopened bottle of Un Emile 68. Open it and bring the neck of the bottle to your nose. Inhale deeply. Now what do you smell? Is it...

DEAD ROTTING FISH?

Yes, yes it is, very much so. Fourth fucking bottle that smells like the back alley of Red Lobster. Other than that, it's just lovely. Have a nice day.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My neighborhood stinks. This is in part because of lousy city services. In part it's because the population includes many recent immigrants not used to the strange practice, unknown in much of the world, of buying pieces of plastic in which to wrap one's garbage before throwing it away. They tend to just toss it into the bins and dumpsters.

But back to our story...

I have noticed the strong smell in Emile, but honestly haven't been bothered by it. It is indeed 'fishy' but I find it rather pleasant, possibly for the same reason I find a few other fishy-smelling things rather pleasant...

Then again, some people really enjoy the 'nutty' taste of Kubler, despite its positive ID as empyreuma.

So what I'd like to know is, where's that smell come from? Is it a bug, or is it a feature?
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes... we suffer from a rare form of olfactory racism that causes us to walk into ethnic areas and identify that area with a particular aroma or set of aromas.
Where I grew up, which was 99.99% white, you could on a daily basis enjoy the punjent luscious scents of rotting garbage, raw sewage (pre and mid treatment,) cat piss, burning rubber, sulfur and graphite and a myriad of other smells the EPA has yet to identify from the blood samples I've submitted. These are the smells I identify with white people and their environment, the odors of my heritage and damn anyone who tells me different. Oh wait, "white" isn't an ethnicity, is it?
We are olfactory racists. We are bad. We must be punished.
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know about OTHER Chinatowns, but I recall walking through Little Italy in NYC during the San Genarro festival a few years ago . . . when we crossed the street into Chinatown, all we could smell (and see on the street) was rotting garbage. It is possibly the most disgusting part of New York City, INCLUDING the (recently closed) Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island AND Alphabet City. At least they throw dirt over the rotting waste at the landfill, and manage to get most of the trash INTO the cans in Alphabet City.

I'm sure there were some fish heads in there somewhere, contributing to the overwhelming stench, but we didn't stick around long enough to analyze.

I suppose this means my poor nose is racist?
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank god I was doing something entirely too important like golfing and missed this all too melodramatic pissing and moaning exhibition by Mr. Most Ordinairy.
What ever man, sling mud, I speak only of experience, or perception and of opinion, much more of which is shared than seems to be yours... and if you can say you've been to China Town and haven't gotten a bit of a scent of seafood ala open air market, you need to get your nasal passages checked out. My ex, one whom I had dated for three years, who was born and bred in San Francisco (in the Sunset if you're all so geographically inclined which I highly doubt) who also happened to be Asian and had obtained her PHD warned me specifically of the odiferousness of China Town before entering it's loose confines so for you to claim to have been there on many occasions and have not even so much as glanced a whiff of what everyone else is talking about (you know, all those crazy people who aren't you?) then you need to see a nose doctor as well as a shrink. And you can shove that racist comment straight up your ass, as far as I'm concerned making such an accusation is far more racist than anything I've ever said. Yes, fuck you asshole, take that into private.
Admin
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

apologies, I thought you had mentioned it here before, which was how I thought I knew that. in any case, that is why I used the past tense.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Dr. I know you lived in (undisclosed location) ... "

This is not really important, since I'm living in Uruguay, but to geographically draw a bead on an HG is not really cool, Kallisti.

And, maybe my nose is challenged, but I have not noticed any more disgusting smell in Chinatown that I have in Safeways...
Admin
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Geezus H. Even *I* knew to what he was referring.

Dr. I know you lived in (undisclosed location) ... did you ever go to the Pacific East Mall in El Cerrito? The grocery store there? great shop but STANKY.

criminy. a walk down Stockton Street and your nose will inform you what they're sellin' there.

Fish stink, ferchrissakes. try Fisherman's Wharf.

bad aim.

*throws arms up into air and goes shopping*
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm on the side of ...

I know what the hell that comment was refering to.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page