Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agen...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency « Previous Next »

Mogan_David
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Plus the two Doctor Who stories we wrote whose plots he ripped off! "

Oh come on! I only have a couple of heros left, don't screw with Douglas Adams.

Just out of curiosity which stories are you talking about.

One that comes to my mind is the story about the cookies (I think from the Hitchhiker series). Guy sits down at a table with a box of cookies and a newspaper. He starts to read the paper when some lady sits down at his table, opens his box of oookies and eats one. He's obviously non-plused, glares at her and eats one of his cookies in a teritorial manner. She in turn eats one, and this goes back and forth until the cookies are gone and she leaves. He gets up to leave, picks up his paper and finds.... His box of cookies.

I've seen this story a number of times. I suspect it was some kind of urban legend that got borrowed by several authors.

MD
Binky
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love both of 'em, but it's been years sice I read them. I just have disjointed memories of concepts such as wedged sofas, hot potatos, Liverpool Street Station, yes - Zen driving, and the little calculator.

Plus the two Doctor Who stories we wrote whose plots he ripped off!
Raschied
Posted on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I reread the first one on a long flight about a month ago. I liked it better than the first time, but that isn't saying too much. The first time through, I didn't care for it as a novel. It does have some of the best bits, however. I love the bit about the couch in the stairway.
Mogan_David
Posted on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw Douglas Adams mentioned in the previous thread.

I'm just curious if anyone else has read this particular book. I read the entire Hitchhiker series several years back, but I have to say that for a steady stream of laughs, I prefer Dirk.

It's been years since I've read Dirk, but rarely a week goes by when I'm not reminded of some joke or quirky event from the book as I go about my daily life.

One in particular is how Dirk navigates by Zen. He simply follows someone else who looks like they know where they are going. It's often more interesting than successful, but it's worth it for the times when it is both.

And then there's the story about the biscuits...

MD

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page